“Great, Relaxing First Taste of Key West”

and 1 more site!
Marrero's Guest Mansion
Ranked #17 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2014

OK...so now we are believers on how great this little B & B is, and can easily become "repeat offenders"! What can I say that has not already been said here over and over? If I write something, it's going to seem repetitious....but, it is all so very true!

So I'll write about what impressed us the most. We arrived July 5, staying 6 nights:

- Cleanliness! Skylee and Susanna keep your room and bath very fresh and clean! We especially noticed this the first day we walked in. Also liked the fact that the girls are friendly and make you feel at ease in "their" home. The bed was comfortable, and the most important thing was that the pillows did not smell! I'm sure you have been to plaes with smelly pillows and it's just gross. Not here.

- THE man - Steverino! We needed a few things taken care of and - BOOM! - done! Great guy, right on top of things, no reminders. You could set your clock to his schedule, as Happy Hour and breakfast are waiting for you spot-on time! The front porch is always clean. The breakfast area is always organized and ready. You feel good about staying here.

- The c/o pool, the people! We had a great group of like-minded guests! Met new friends, got together later in town a few times to party! Everyone has such great stories and you end up having a lot in common. Broad range of ages from 30s to 70s. Some of the nicest folks we've ever met and hung out with.

-Happy Hour! Great way to meet new guests and converse with new friends as well.

What would we suggest for improvements to make it even better?

- iPod, Android docking type clock radios so you could play our own music and charge your phone in your room.

- Happy Hour at the pool maybe one weekend night? (Maybe it's against an insurance regulation?) Everyone seems to want this.

This was our first time to Key West, and we were happy we chose Marrero's. It's location makes it ideal to walk to everywhere. We followed Steve's suggestion to leave our car parked two blocks West by the Municipal buildings for free, so our car sat idle for free all six days! Everything is walkable, and for this, you will not gain a pound as you eat seafood and Key Lime pie all week!!!

We had room 14, with the closest entrance to the pool, but you still have to cover up from there. Room 12 is right on the pool, and covering up isn't required. If you get any of these rooms, I'd advise ear plugs, as anyone hanging out at the pool late will keep you up. And the roosters, Jesus. They start at 3:30 - 4:00 A.M. It's ridiculously loud, as roosters roam all the parking lots and unsecured back yards. The cacophony is insane! Be prepared and you'll do alright.

Key West Tips:

I'm one of "those guys" that researches new places we visit deeply beforehand, so I can weed out the bad stuff and take in the good stuff. I use TripAdvisor and Yelp the most because of the photos and common folk opinions, but I also talk to locals once I get there for even more tips. We really avoided the touristy heart of DuVal Street for many meals, and opted to go into the neighborhoods and backstreets as often as possible. This is where the chef-owned restaurants lie. My wife and I also decided to sample the Key Lime pie at every opportunity, to find the best ones! So I'd like to pass on a few suggestions to you.

If you are driving into the Keys from Miami, make a lunch stop midway on Marathon Key at the Island Fish Company. The Gulf Oysters were awesomely fresh and plump, and they had one of the best Key Lime Pies we have had among the eight we tried on this trip.

For dinner, the Stuffed Lobster at Grunt's in Key West was over the top, at about $38! It's a large lobster split in the center and stuffed with pure crab meat! If that ain't enough, they then cover it with lime Hollandaise!! Sooo decadent! And a 5 minute walk from Marrero's. We rated their Key Lime pie as second best, if not tied. It was really very good!

Café Sole (So-Lay) 15 minute walk from Marrero's. Unbelievably fresh seafood! The entrée they are known for is the Hog Snapper, which was delicious. Impressive appetizers were the Tuna Tartare, and the Conch Carpaccio.....simply the freshest!

To splurge or surprise your significant other....Latitudes on Sunset Island. You have to reserve well in advance!! I booked a table in the sand for a surprise for my wife in April for a table in July. You meet at pier 29 in Key West, and the Westin's boat takes you to the Island for your dinner reservation. The service, seafood and view are for a lifetime memory. Trust me! There was nothing like enjoying a few martinis as we watched the setting sun. Priceless.

Key Lime pies to avoid: Kermits Key Lime Pie Factory and also Key Lime Pie Company. I don't know what they heck they served, but it was no where near as good as the aforementioned.

Healthy eating does not leave you many choices here in Key West. Seems like all the good stuff is covered in Hollandaise! Breakfasts and dinners especially. Nothing against it because we love it, but sometimes you got to cleanse the arteries and give 'em a break, ya know?

So for this:

Sarabeth's Kitchen for breakfast. Walk time is 15 minutes form Marrero's. Get the Porridge - Slow cooked, real rolled oats, served with your choice of the following: whole milk, or fresh cream, organic honey, raisins, sliced bananas, strawberries, wheatberries, butter, brown sugar. Excellent!!

Also, Help Yourself Organic Café and Market - 20 minute walk rom Marrero's -

Oatmeal Power Bowl $6.25 Slow cooked oat groats, flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, goji berries,
cinnamon, palm sugar, coconut milk

Fruit Parfait $9.50 Organic mixed fruit, homemade granola, house-cultured coconut yogurt

Granola $7.95 Homemade granola with fresh fruit and house-made coconut milk

I booked a Sunset Wind and Wine cruise with Danger Charters, $80 p/p 2 hours, and it was truly the best. They serve a large variety of really good wines, and appetizers. Sit on the left side of the boat (as you are looking from the steering wheel) to assure a view of the sunset as you make the last leg of the cruise! The crew is so down to earth and made it pleasant...especially Sunshine!

The Butterfly Conservatory is actually pretty cool to visit in the morning when the butterflies become active.

And now the fun part. Be sure to stop in at the Garden of Eden, the c/o rooftop bar, after 10:30PM. We went there as our last bar with our group after we were primed at Kevin's Irish Bar, and took full advantage of the bars policy! Woo Hoo!! You may have to get the party started, but once you do, the dance floor gets crazy as everyone else joins in. What a great time we all had!!

So, book that stay at Marrero's! You'll have a nice, laid back taste of Key West!

Message me with any questions anytime.

Room Tip: Room 14 and 12 are poolside, but can be loud depending on the guests, and definitely the roosters th...
12  Thank TheWindyCity

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We've stayed here many times. No reason to even try another place. It's not just the location (which is great), or Steve and Skylee (who are great), or the pool (great again). It's the people who tend to stay here. Every time we visit, we run into someone from a previous trip. Lots of "repeat offenders". To me, that says the most for the place, people keep coming back.

Every time we go to check out, there's a questionnaire that asks what could we do better. I've never been able to think of anything to put down. Everything is always great.

We've already booked the next stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RnDinSC
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Once again, I regret not writing a review for the first time we visited Marrero's about 3 years ago.

It was wonderful then, it was wonderful last week.

The house is charming, has an interesting history, & is VERY well maintained. Super clean. The beds are comfortable, the pool area is beautiful, & even the water pressure in the shower is decent!

Steve, the manager, is very accomodating, friendly, funny, & gracious. He's always ready to give you fun options for dinner that you probably wouldn't know about otherwise. I've read some reviews saying that Steve is rude, but that has never been an issue. It's quite simple: don't be a jerk, be considerate of others, & follow the very few rules. The man has a job to do, & people tend to think that just because they're on vacation, the rules don't apply to them. Steve's awesome.

The big draw for us is the clothing optional pool. It's beautifully landscaped with plenty of shade. It has an honor bar, & the drinks are cheaper than anywhere else! Marrero's attracts many repeat visitors, & they're always happy to be back. We count ourselves in that group.

Evening happy hour is a fun time to get to know Steve & the other guests. We're very glad that Marrero's does it, as well as the breakfast (admittedly, not quite as lively!).

Skylie & the other woman that cleans (never got her name) are both gems. Both are very friendly & cheerful. You can't say that for a lot of hotels. They're also great resources for things to do in Key West that aren't on the beaten path, & we appreciate it!

We're looking forward to planning our next trip to Key West in a couple of years, & we will be back to Marrero's!

Room Tip: Make sure you look at each room online. Not all rooms have their own bathrooms or outdoor areas.
7  Thank Claire A
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I have visited Marrero's 12 times in 10 years and it just keeps getting better.
My prior reviews cover the fantastic location, the wonderful innkeeper Steve and his crew and the best pool in the Keys, so I won't rehash that stuff. But this year was even better because they have upgraded all the furniture in all the rooms. Our favorite is room 12. It is right on the pool deck so easy access there. You also have a private entrance from the street to your room via the alley. Now it has a refrigerator and all new furniture.
As so many other reviews on TA say, the people that return every year make this a remarkable experience. There is something about Steve's informal and inclusive nature that fosters a true openness among Marrero's guests. I recommend it (again) unreservedly.

Room Tip: 12 and 14 are closest to the pool.
3  Thank Alan E
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Thanks to Marreros we have many new friends who we meet a few times a year here. The mansion is outstanding with impeccable accomodations. Everything is neat and clean inside and out. Not enough can be said about Steve (Innkeeper). He is the reason we all keep coming back. He makes you feel like you are at home. In th rare event an issue arises, bring it to Steve's attention immediately and there is no longer an issue. Breakfast and Happy Hour on the front porch are excellent and the clothing optonal pool speaks for itself. s it time to go back yet?

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and there isn't a bad room in the house!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Roberta C
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from one of our most amazing trips EVER by spending just 3 nights at Marrero's, so I could not wait to post my review. First, I must say my wife and I highly recommend Marrero's to anyone looking for a relaxing environment where mingling and getting to know the other guests at the hotel is an extra special bonus! All of the other guests we met were amazingly friendly and so easy to hang out with that we actually found ourselves staying up until early morning hours, chatting and socializing poolside. The manager Steve and housekeeper Skylee could not have been more friendly and accommodating. Anything we needed that wasn't already in the room, was quickly provided to us. My wife and I both feel that we've made a new set of friends here that we will be looking forward to many future visits. The location of Marrero's is amazingly convenient to everything you can imagine doing in Key West. Just a few minutes walk to Mallory Square and only a couple hundred feet away from Duval Street which makes for a most convenient location and very quiet atmosphere during the late evening hours. (Our sincere apologies to Steve if there were any times that we may have been talking too loud during the late night/early morning hours while you were trying to sleep.) The continental breakfast selection was more than adequate and very satisfying. My wife Lori & I really enjoyed sitting on the front porch with the other guests enjoying their company too during the daily breakfast and happy hour! Everyone must try Steve's special "Steve-arita" which was quite tasty!

There's nothing bad I can say about our first of many visits we plan to have at Marrero's, except I wish we could have stayed longer! As is true with most things in life, you get out of something whatever you put into something, so if/when you stay at Marrero's, go on in with an open mind, positive outgoing attitude and be respectful to others, and I guarantee you will feel the same passion and love for this place that my wife and I have just experienced. Big hugs go out to everyone we met over this last weekend...Lori & I miss you all and hope to see you again at Marrero's in Key West!!

Room Tip: The Poolside Rooms #12 & #14 are amazingly comfortable and extremely convenient for clothing opt...
5  Thank DMM85224
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I just realized I had not posted a review of our stay at the Marrero's Guest Mansion. It has been roughly over a year since our stay. The location was a bit off track but workable. Upon arrival we were greeted by the gentleman who managed the house. He didn't seem very friendly. The back yard and pool area was rather nice though. Breakfast in the morning is not much, a few rolls and juice. Sorry, we were just not wowed by our stay at Marerro's.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple