“Textile & Nude at the pool”

Marrero's Guest Mansion
Ranked #17 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 March 2006

This guest house is truly one of the gems of Key West! It is centrally located, just off Duval St. The morning complementary breakfast is very nice and the afternoon happy hour is a perfect time to take a break and relax around the pool or sit on the front porch with a cocktail. The pool is clothing optional but the times we have been there it has always been a mix of textile, nude and topless and everyone seemed to get along just fine. Wife and I truly love this place and we will be going back this year for Fantasy Fest.

• Stayed: November 2005
13  Thank crazykenn

A TripAdvisor Member
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 25 March 2006

My husband and I stayed at Marrero's and found it to be very relaxing. It is located on Flemming, just a block from Duval. Its location is perfect! Convenient to everything, but away from the nightlife noise. The house was well maintained, clean, and pleasant. Our room was small, but had all that we needed including a mini fridge, a tv, and a good sized bathroom. We also had a porch that led to the pool. Since we were only in the room to sleep, it didn't matter that it was small.

The continental breakfast was great. A variety of choices were available. Every morning there was fresh fruit such as bananas, cantalope, pineapple, honeydew, and strawberries. Also there was yogurt, bagels, raisin bread, English Muffins, fruit muffins, cup cakes, pastries, danishes, doughnuts, cereal, coffee, tea, juice, milk, and water. I was very pleased to have healthy choices available.

Every evening John provided a complimentary happy hour. Since my husband and I are not big drinkers we only took advantage of this one night. It was quite relaxing sitting on the porch with a drink. If you like mixed drinks and wine, then you'll like the happy hour. No "blender drinks" were available. So no pina colada's!

Unfortunately, the pool is the one feature of Marrero's that might prevent us from visiting again. The pool is clothing optional. This feature is posted clearly on their website, but my husband and I thought that not many people would take advantage of it. We were wrong! In fact, I think this is a very popular feature for most poeplen who stay at Marrero's! Many people enjoyed the clothing optional feature. We did not feel comfortable with being around nude people, so we didn't spend time at the pool. If you don't like being around nude people, carefully consider Marrero's.

If people had clothes on at the pool, without one bit of doubt, we would gladly stay at Marrero's again. Overall, it was an excellant bed and breakfast. Unfortunately, we don't believe in public nudity.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 March 2006

Don't believe the negative reviews. We found John to be very professional in his running of the guest house. Our stay of 5 days earlier this month was a pleasant experience and will return to Marreros in the future. We have stayed at three different places in KW and Marreros is the best.

9  Thank mabel05621
Reviewed 12 March 2006

Marrero's is in an amazing location- one block from Duval St. where you can do almost anything there is to do in Key West. The room we stayed in was tiny but comfy. However, when we arrived we were greeted with a cold joke by a lady on the porch. I thought originally that she was a guest but I came to discover that she worked there. The man who checked us in and gave us a tour was professional but cold. He was not friendly in any way; every time I saw him I smiled and said hello, he half smiled back in a very forced manner. I did not feel at all welcome there. The first morning I awoke at Marrero's, I was greeted with another cold joke by the same lady as I was leaving the house. Her remarks were insulting, though I think she meant them in a joking manner. Our room shared a bathroom, which can be difficult at times but is really not a big deal. However, the lock inside the bathroom to our room was very loud, and in the early morning when our neighbors used the bathroom I woke up every time they locked and unlocked our door. Our outer bathroom door lock stuck and was often difficult to lock and unlock. Breakfast was ok. The lady who worked in the morning was the only pleasant person I encountered there.
On a good note, the pool area was beautiful. It got lots of sun in the morning and afternoon, with some shady spots. Late afternoon was a perfect time to be there, there wasn't too much sun and the temperature was perfect to relax and read. The pool was very clean and warm. Though we did not take advantage of their honor bar, it was nice to have the option there.

Though our needs were met while at Marrero's, our room was fine and the location, porch and pool were great, the unfriendliness of the staff makes us very hesitant to ever stay there again.

4  Thank pmpkin6
Reviewed 10 March 2006

Just returned from Marrero's. Loved it! Room was typical B&B with private bath, well kept. The breakfast and the happy hour are great additions. The pool is a perfect place to "hang out". The location is in the middle of everything. Would highly recommend.

8  Thank SeaRay320
A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 4 March 2006

My husband and I stayed here over Presidents' weekend--actually four nights. We stayed in two different rooms. I really enjoyed the smaller room we stayed in for the first three nights. It was cheaper, and the bathroom was bigger. I loved having a balcony with each room. The pool area was nice and seemed to be put to good use, especially by me! John, the owner, was pleasant and greeted us upon arrival. The housekeeper was very nice and chatty, and we left her a nice tip. Kim, the concierge, or whatever her title was, was okay. She was nice enough but had an edge to her. Unfortunately, we were only able to take advantage of the free happy hour one evening. What a great addition. The breakfast in the morning was adequate--fresh fruit, rolls, bagels, muffins, cereal, juice, coffee, etc... The carpet is looking worn in the main hallways and up the stairs, but this place was booked the whole time we were there, so it gets plenty of wear and tear. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 February 2006

The only highlight of our dreadful stay at Marrero's was Kim, who checked us in and gave us the tour, she was the only one who was friendly. We met John the owner who has a personality of a wet dish rag! The lady tending to continental breakfast was not a happy camper, either, complaining under breath.
Our room of $167/night, was the size of a walkin closet, and the floor creeked so bad, I thought we were going to go thru it. Also putting two adults on a full mattress, was a little crowed, but luckily we are fond of each other. We travel to Key West two times a year and this was the first time in years we wanted to try a different place. Bad mistake. Marrero's was not what Key West is, a fun, cool, friendly place to stay and relax, we couldn't wait to check out!!!
The topper was being yelled at by the owner, for taking 4 scoops of ice from a commercial hotel ice maker for my small cooler the first morning. I was told rather curtly, I could buy a bag of ice up the street, as there is hardly enough ice for the guest! HEEELLLLOOOO, buy a machine that produces. At $167 a night, a little ice and a little friendliness would have been nice. We were not the only ones who felt the tension of staying there, as other guest had comments on the overall bad attitude of the place. Vacationer Beware!

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business