“Nice hideaway”

The Palms Hotel- Key West
Ranked #47 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We recently stayed at the The Palms in Key West. What a pleasant experience. First the people at the desk, Philip and Emily were great, easy to work with and helpful. The support staff were friendly. The rooms are very small, the floors were dirty, parking is terrilble but this is Key West. If you want a large room and plenty of amenties - go elsewhere. The price is a bit steep for what you get. The pool area was nice and the breakfast in the mornings was adequate and well stocked. We were there for a wedding and some of the guests stayed at the Palms and it was a great location to walk everywhere. Plus the trolley was a block away to ride. Thank you Philip for the restaurant advise, you were very helpful!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 139, at the back of the motel. Not easy to get to, but quiet. We had some sugar a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Lodging in Key West is very expensive. After reading reviews of the Palms Hotel for several months, I decided to book a room. Overall, we had a very nice experience. We stayed in Key West in April, when, according to the locals, they were having a heat wave. It was very hot, but we had a nice time. Key West is a fun place!
Check inn/ check out: I had an issue with the lady at the front desk during check in regarding my credit card. The same lady checked me out, and I had an issue about obtaining a receipt. It came down to a language barrier. The lady was very nice, and I just chalk it up to we live in a diverse country. It all work out, and there is no reason to get upset.
The room: As stated in other reviews, the Palms Hotel is a historic property. The room was small, but it had great character. The bathroom really could only accommodate one person, since it is so small, but it worked out fine. Thankfully, the room had a great air conditioner!! The housekeeping staff were wonderful! The room was always clean.
The pool: The pool is in the center of the hotel grounds. It is a very nice pool. They play nice music, and the chairs and lounges are comfortable.
Breakfast: Breakfast is served by the pool each morning. The lady that attends to the breakfast is very nice and attentive. They serve fresh fruit, coffee, tea, pastries, and toast. A good way to start the day with a light breakfast.
Location: I loved the location!! It is about a 15-20 minute walk to Duval Street (depending on the heat!) This is a great way to get some exercise, and walk off one of the many great meals! Also, Duval Street and the surrounding area is very noisy. The Palms is in a quiet area.
For the price, and understanding that the Palms is a historic property, you would be happy staying here. I would stay here again. We had a very relaxing, nice time.

Room Tip: We liked our room on the first floor, just outside the pool. I think a second floor room would be t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Going to Key West and finding a hotel is very hard on a weekend. Most are over priced and it seems to be very busy there on the weekend. I wanted to take my girlfriend for a romantic getaway. I finally found a hotel that looked ok called The Palms Hotel. I first had to deal with the staff who were so rude and unprofesional. The nite guy was stressed out and could not even handle three people in the office. I found him to be very obnoxious and loud .He had no patience and was yelling at people on the phone. The room I got was musty and seemed like it had the same bed and matress in there from twenty years ago. Great location though.The guy at the front desk was short with me when I asked him wear to park and told me it was my tough luck. It took me a hour to find a parking space and he did not try to help me at all. Said it was not his job. I must say Key West was wonderful after I changed hotels the next day. This is one hotel where I felt they did not want you and caution people that the staff is horrible. No parking and I had to share my bathroom. Stay away from this one people. Sincerly,Randall Houck

Room Tip: If the staff is not friendly or helpful I would not stay at that hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We just arrived back from Key west after staying at the Palms Hotel for 5 nights. We had a good time here. The location is ideal! It's about a 5 min cycle from the main street, Duval where all the night life and restaurants are. They also have bikes to rent at the hotel.
The staff were all friendly and polite.
The breakfasts are ok (toast, french pastries, fresh fruit, buscuit and gravy, tea and coffee). Nothing fancy, but it was nice that they offer it.
The rooms are clean but have a slight damp smell. The room itself is pretty small, but we didnt need anything more. The bed was comfortable.
The pool is well maintained and in a great spot in the middle of the hotel and beach towels are supplied.
Overall, its great value for money and we'd stay here again!

Room Tip: I'd prefer any of the upstairs room as the ones downstairs are right in front of the pool and wo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WillsnVicks
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Stayed a few days here while in Key West. We were in one of the larger rooms that which was great. Not sure what the other rooms are like. Breakfast was very good. The staff was very friendly. The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk from Duval St.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We were strapped for an affordable place to stay during Spring break and this was the only place I could find at $200/night. (ouch!) We would never pay that anywhere else for the type of property this is but as I said...it was Spring Break and this is Key West. In respect to the staff, we found them friendly enough and the place was clean. The young man that takes care of the breakfast buffet works hard and does a great job! It is a 10 -15 min walk to town but it's nice walking through the neighborhoods in Key West even when they're not the "best" ones. If you're looking to just sleep in your room (and that's about all we did) then the Palms is fine...just don't expect any frills.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2013

The facility was very nice. Pool is cool, BBQ area was nice grill worked great. Breakfast was hard boiled eggs, toast, French toast ,biscuit and gravey , fruit.not all places open in morning so we ate breakfast every day there. Room was small for 3, but we only slept there. Bed was extremely hard. Shower is so small you get in but can't turn. For price we liked it clean, pool, nice workers

Room Tip: Room 17...double beds but softer.....stay upstairs, by pool is loud
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family