“Musty smell in the room but pet friendly :)”

The Palms Hotel- Key West
Ranked #46 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We stayed here because our original reservation at another hotel got cancelled due to a mix-up with another person with a similar name. Because we needed something pet friendly at the last minute we stayed at the Palms in Room #11. We had a nice comfy king size bed and the room was clean with a bit of a tropical feel. They seriously need to get an exhaust fan in the bathroom, the room smelled musty the entire four days we were there. After you take a shower the room stays humid. We hung up things that got wet and they never dried. We opened the bathroom window to help air it out whenever we were in the room. We heard the footsteps of the people above us too. The room next door was being worked on the entire time as well, the workers are not very considerate of other guests - in addition to the work noise, they were talking loudly. Breakfast was OK - just a simple continental style. The pool was OK - needs cleaned or painted at the one end and it had cracked tiles. The buildings in general look a little tired. The office lady was not overly friendly, she just did her job. I would not plan to go there again - only as a last resort.

Room Tip: Pet friendly if you need something in the lower Key West area.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Enjoyed our stay,love the birds too.The pool was refreshing, breakfast was awesome. Beds were comfortable .Nice and quite location but close enough to Duval St.we will definitely stay there again. we may go back again sometime this year

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hotel has about 35 rooms that was probably originally 2 homes. Located in a residential area, which has other inns too is about 1/2 mile from Duval St. Key West is a safe island so walking at night isn't an issue. We booked the smallest room, which is small but it had it's own bathroom which is a requirement for us. Frankly, we are out most of the day and night, so we just need a place to crash. Staff is very friendly and includes continental breakfast. If I had to do it again, I may choose a closer hotel but the reasonable rates at Palms will entice me to return.

Room Tip: When booking make sure the room has a bathroom
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Palms. We like the location and the reviews seemed good. Unfortunately, the hotel was neither quaint, charming, well-situated, or quiet, comfortable or very clean. Any of these would have helped redeem the place. The breakfast seemed to come directly from Costco; the room was not very clean or well kept, the bed and especially the pillow not comfortable. I am making it sound horrible, which is a little unfair, because I have stayed in far worse hotels. In truth the managers were very nice and helpful, and helped us change rooms because ours was too noisy. The upper floor was nicer than the first floor. The rooms were private, though not quiet, and the expectation is that if you want quiet either 1) don't go to Key West or 2) crank up the AC and let that drown out the outside noise. The location was OK once we rented bikes, but not close enough for walking. The price was high for us, but moderate for Key West which was one of the reasons we chose the place. I would say that if you stay here, be aware that you are getting basic and safe lodging, you will get the real Key West experience....and bring your own pillow.

Room Tip: Pool side will be noisy, the upper floor seemed better than the first floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Our first impression of the Palms was positive, an attractive colonial style home with plenty of character. I parked illegally and asked the guy in reception where he might suggest I park. He told me to leave it where it was in a No Unauthorised Parking bay which I did. He assured me it would be fine, and it was. So far so good. We checked in and Philip, one of the managers mentioned that the room we had booked was quite small. "So give us a larger one", I suggested but was told that there were none available. So up to the 2nd floor and yes, the room was small but bearable. It was clean with a window a/c. The bathroom was also small but functional. We were at the front of the building and enoyed sitting on the porch with a cold beer just watching the activites below. The pool was great but soon filled up with a bunch of about a dozen college folks who started on working their way through their suitcases of beer. Things got a bit boisterous but it was harmless fun. We were pleased NOT to have a poolside room as we expected it would be noisy later. And it was, but not as we expected....... We returned to our room early evening, the room adjacent had a connecting door and it was clear the couple in there were at it like crazy things. We had to endure every last scream and gasp. But this is Key West and we were there for some fun too so we walked to Duvall and partied until midnight ( we had a long drive down) and returned to the Palms. The bed must have had a few three hundred pounders in it before us and it sagged badly in the middle. Also the a/c was right next to my ear so earplugs to the rescue, I thought. About three a.m. the dynamic duo next door decided to have a raging row, so bad that the police were called and, credit to the hotel management, they were finally slung out. Peace at last even though it was 5 a.m. by now. Breakfast by the pool was enjoyable and the conversation focussed on the night's events as others had been affected by the screaming and shouting. I spoke to the manager after breakfast about the disturbing racket. She was most apologetic and gave us a partial refund for the inconvenience. The following night there was another disturbance in the office area which was only mildly disturbing in comparison. The hotel management dealt with these issues as best they could and we were sympathetic to the challenges they faced with dysfunctional guests. We would definitely go back to the Palms, if only for the entertainment!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julian B
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

If you are going to stay there... Don't, whatever you do, let them put you in the "suite". I wasn't expecting a super luxurious place, and I did book at the last minute so I probably deserved what I got. But the suite feels like its situated in grand central station. Everyone has to pass your room on one of three sides to get to their own room. If they wish to avoid negative reviews, they would do better to never book that room.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Palms the second week of May. Quaint B&B in a quiet residential area. We were there for 2 nights and enjoyed our stay. The pool was clean and inviting. The room was clean and spacious, for us, and the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We use bicycles to travel around town the three days we were there and had a great time, even when we got lost a couple of times. The locals were very helpful to get us back on course. It is a older home but maintained very well. My wife and I do not like to stay at "Cookie Cutter" hotels. We like to experience the local flare and the Palms was great. Thanks to all the staff for providing a great experience for our first trip to Key West.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the front rooms by White Street and had no problems with street noise, after bic...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple