“Anywhere Else”

The Palms Hotel- Key West
Ranked #48 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I'd have slept on the street first. Gap under door of at least an inch with tiny iguanas everywhere. Odor that took my breath. Tiniest room ever. Cheap polyester bedspread. Will NEVER refer this to anyone. Booked 6 days for Christmas 2013, got 2 days refunded even after they rebooked for all 6. Because we came daily and checked. Save your money. RUDE. SLUM-like.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AmyS S
GMPalms, General Manager at The Palms Hotel- Key West, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

As always there are 2 sides to a story. This guest did indeed book during Christmas 2013 for 6 nights. The guest checked into the room and approximately 15 minutes later asked if I had a larger room. I looked and regretfully informed her that I did not. She then advised me that she was leaving. I apologized that she was not happy with the size of the room and would check her out, but since she was canceling inside the cancel period for her reservation I could not refund her money. If last minute I could sell any of the room nights, I would be willing to refund on a day by day basis. We did indeed only resell her room for 2 of the 6 nights.

As to the gap in the door and the bedspread. I went to the room just to check and did not see the gap under the door that this guest brought up. Future guests, please watch for new pictures of our updated beds. The week before Christmas we got rid of the current pictured top spread for a 3rd top designer white sheet (washed and cleaned after each check-out) and the week after changed the middle blanket to a white lux-lite blanket that are becoming standards of most modern hotels.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

The Hotel is locate in a lovely, quiet, residential environment of the northern boundary of the Historic District. It is a older beautiful Bed & Breakfast not a modern hotel. The atmosphere is relax, layback and enjoyable. The staff make you feel at home, comfortable, helpful, and friendly. The rooms are clean comfortable, and serve you needs. The rooms are small, but there is plenty of room on the porches or pool side to sit, read, have conversation, and enjoy a great location. The hotel has on site bike rental or can have a scooter deliver to the hotel to move a round the city. From the hotel there is only about 20 minute walk to the Duval Street and plenty of good restaurants within this 20 minute area. Their continental breakfast is slightly better than average and served pool side which was very nice. I would recommend this B & B to anyone who want to enjoy the lovely, quaint Key West style of lodging.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dillard t
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed Thanksgiving evening 2013 through the following Sunday morning. We are in our 40's, and although we love to party our [--] off on Duval Street (and beyond) until the wee hours of the morning, we thoroughly enjoyed escaping the tourist attractions to the lovely, quiet, residential environment of the northern boundary of the Historic District. Anything activity we wanted to do was a short scooter ride away, and we could always run back to the hotel for anything anytime without worried about the logistics and timing of traveling back to our home base - so easy. There are plenty of local place to dine on White Street. I'm telling you!!! It was a great location. The hotel itself is just lovely in the Key Style, quaint, the room was extra clean, and the hotel staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly. When we inquired about how to get around the island, without hesitation they picked up the phone and had our scooter delivered straight to the doorstep while we relaxed on the porch swing. They also provide a full kitchen and living room, and an extra bathroom in the main house for all guests. We did not swim in the pool, but we stuck our toes in and it was nice and warm…just like our warm and fulfilling experience at The Palms Hotel. The first thing I did this morning when I sat down at my desk to rejoin reality was pick up the phone and schedule my next trip to this wonderful bed and breakfast style hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kim W
Reviewed 25 November 2013

There are many places to stay at in Key West that are very expensive but if one if looking for a good affordable B&B this would be the one. I had a small room but for one person it worked out just fine. The bed was a little too soft for me but I slept surprisingly well. Of course this might have been due to all the walking I did each day. It is about a 20 minute walk to Duval Street and each of the 3 days I took a different route. There is lots to see on the stroll to where the action happens. I purposely wanted to stay in a quiet residential area and this was perfect. Parking was not a problem the B&B has 4 spots in front for visitors. If they are taken the side streets have available parking spaces. My understanding is that the taxi is less than $10 but I walked for as I said there is much to see and explore.

Room Tip: ask the innkeepers they will help match the room to your needs
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Palms is not the best place to stay in KW, but it is also not the worst. It is in the "Quaint and Quirky" mode of place. Friendly staff, a clean room, and a good continental breakfast. All was quiet at night and the pool was well maintained. If I were going to KW again, (and I'd like to) I would do some research and upgrade to a nicer place. But, all in all, this is not a bad place for a short stay. Just not above average. I should mention that on our last day we needed a taxi for the airport very early. We asked for a wake up call that never came. Luckily we set an alarm clock in the room as a fail safe measure. It worked.

Room Tip: The rooms along the pool seemed a bit nicer.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed for first time at Palms Hotel in October 2013. We have traveled to key west 5 times prior and stayed at different places all over the island. The Palms exceeded expectations! Cozy and quaint, the atmosphere and location makes you feel like you like a key west local. Breakfast in the mornings was AWESOME with lots of variety and very fresh fruit. Although our queen room was cozy and not a lot of storage, the island breezes, beautiful grounds and the French door overlooking the pool more than compensated. Highly recommend this hotel to future vacationers and will most likely return to The Palms Hotel ourselves.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank alpilck
Reviewed 16 October 2013

It is not a modern hotel by any means and the rooms are on the small side but value for money it is pretty good. It is a normal room, nothing fancy. We were there at low season so we had the pool all to ourselves which was nice. They also have birds, which is strange. We did not have breakfast as we had to leave very early before they served it so I cannot comment on it. I would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple