My wife handled the room booking and she said that it was affordable for Key West (I think it was a little less than $300 a night). I am not sure how much rooms usually cost in Key West so it seemed like a lot for not being a resort, but ok. There was also a free happy hour from 5-6 and I think that sold her.
First of all, B&B is in a GREAT location. Right in the middle of Duval Street and not in the louder bar areas on north Duval. About a 5 minute walk to Hemingway House. I can't stress enough how awesome this location is.
The rooms looked really clean and really nice. We had our own bathroom but there was also another big bathroom with shower that we were allowed to use if we wanted to. That was great since we had a party of 4.
The beds were AWESOME. They were large and SUPER comfortable. We stayed at 4 hotels in different parts of Florida for this trip and this was definitely the best sleep we got the whole time. Reviews have been saying the rooms were tiny. I don't think so, just as long as you keep your suitcase on the little bench they provide for you. Why do you need a huge room anyway especially if you are going to be out of the room most of the time?
The pool is tiny and not particularly appealing. But hey, if you are going to complain about the pool don't use it.
The continental breakfast was fine. Cereal, pastry, yogurt, fruit, bagels, coffee, tea, juice. It's nothing special but it's FREE. Don't complain about a free meal. It was perfectly adequate for a free service.
And now for the couple cons:
1. We had to walk past the little happy hour bar to get into our room. The people and stools blocked the walkway. And no one (it was really the guests) would move when we tried to go through. People actually looked at me like I was stupid for trying to get into my room. It really was not the best location to put a bar cause it obstructed traffic. Avoid checking in/out between 5-7.
2. I am not a smoker but the happy hour area was a smoker's haven. It was disgusting and there was really no where to go in the area without having smoke blown toward me. I actually got nauseous after a while and had to go back to my room. Also, we ate our continental breakfast the next morning outside and it was smoke free. BUT then, the receptionist came near us and smoked right in front of us while we were eating! I couldn't believe it. And then one of the other guests decided to join her!
I give the 3 for service because of that incident alone. The guy running the bar Captain....something seemed to love doing what he was doing. Good for him! I like when people enjoy their jobs.
Ok, those were pretty much the only things that bothered me. The place is quaint, clean, nice, convenience, has free wi-fi, free food, and parking is CHEAP (only $10/night). I would stay there again if I ever return to Key West.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built upon one of the most advantageous blocks on the island, the Duval Inn is steps away from Duval Street, but our poolside lounges are just far enough away from the excitement to coax our guests into peaceful naps. Clean, fresh rooms with all the charm you'd expect from a tropical Inn, yet each room has all the amenities you would find at a modern hotel. Welcome to Paradise. Welcome to the Duval Inn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo and Booking.com so you can book your The Duval Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Duval Hotel Key West
- The Duval Inn Key West, Florida