“Great location, nice place, with a couple inconveniences”
Review of The Duval Inn

The Duval Inn
Ranked #51 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My wife handled the room booking and she said that it was affordable for Key West (I think it was a little less than $300 a night). I am not sure how much rooms usually cost in Key West so it seemed like a lot for not being a resort, but ok. There was also a free happy hour from 5-6 and I think that sold her.

First of all, B&B is in a GREAT location. Right in the middle of Duval Street and not in the louder bar areas on north Duval. About a 5 minute walk to Hemingway House. I can't stress enough how awesome this location is.

The rooms looked really clean and really nice. We had our own bathroom but there was also another big bathroom with shower that we were allowed to use if we wanted to. That was great since we had a party of 4.

The beds were AWESOME. They were large and SUPER comfortable. We stayed at 4 hotels in different parts of Florida for this trip and this was definitely the best sleep we got the whole time. Reviews have been saying the rooms were tiny. I don't think so, just as long as you keep your suitcase on the little bench they provide for you. Why do you need a huge room anyway especially if you are going to be out of the room most of the time?

The pool is tiny and not particularly appealing. But hey, if you are going to complain about the pool don't use it.

The continental breakfast was fine. Cereal, pastry, yogurt, fruit, bagels, coffee, tea, juice. It's nothing special but it's FREE. Don't complain about a free meal. It was perfectly adequate for a free service.

And now for the couple cons:
1. We had to walk past the little happy hour bar to get into our room. The people and stools blocked the walkway. And no one (it was really the guests) would move when we tried to go through. People actually looked at me like I was stupid for trying to get into my room. It really was not the best location to put a bar cause it obstructed traffic. Avoid checking in/out between 5-7.

2. I am not a smoker but the happy hour area was a smoker's haven. It was disgusting and there was really no where to go in the area without having smoke blown toward me. I actually got nauseous after a while and had to go back to my room. Also, we ate our continental breakfast the next morning outside and it was smoke free. BUT then, the receptionist came near us and smoked right in front of us while we were eating! I couldn't believe it. And then one of the other guests decided to join her!

I give the 3 for service because of that incident alone. The guy running the bar Captain....something seemed to love doing what he was doing. Good for him! I like when people enjoy their jobs.

Ok, those were pretty much the only things that bothered me. The place is quaint, clean, nice, convenience, has free wi-fi, free food, and parking is CHEAP (only $10/night). I would stay there again if I ever return to Key West.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I were very happy with our stay at Duvall Inn. Location is great, rooms are very clean and comfortable, happy hour (free drinks from 5-6pm) and a friendly staff.. What more can you ask for.. I would definitely stay here again..

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Right off Duval street. Happy hour was awesome! Stayed in the Bungalow building, had to share the bathroom but actually wasn't bad. Such a nice cozy place and the staff was wonderful. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I think in general I am just not a B&B guy but the duval did have charm, the staff was great and the layed back atmosphere was nice. They upgraded us to a nicer room so can't say what the rest of the rooms were like.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim N
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Perfect location, within walking distance from all the nice places. Room as described on the web, very clean!!! Free internet, Good breakfast included and Great free Happy Hour every afternoon in a very nice garden by the small pool. Very friendly staff. Excellent stay!!!! Parking available 10$/day. I would go back for sure!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Checco10
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This place is definitely one I'd return to the next time I vacation at Key West! Clean, great location, helpful! I had wanted to tour 3 of the area museums and was going to use an online tour company to obtain discounted tickets, but even though I had computer access I had no printer. The desk clerk, friendly Lucie even let me use her computer to order and print my tickets! How awesome is that!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Duval Inn. This was our first stay at a B&B and weren't quite sure what to expect but it was recommended by a friend, so we decided to give it a try. What a pleasant experience! Beautiful grounds, welcoming staff, cozy rooms. We arrived early and since our room was ready, we were able to check in and start to enjoy our time in Key West. It is so convienent to everything - we walked everywhere except to and from the airport. The room was furnished very nice - the bed was so comfortable with very nice linens. The room was a bit on the small side, but was fine since all we did was sleep and change there. We had a private bathroom which was clean and well stocked with soft towels and bath items. They provided pool towels - which we took to the beach and they gladly exchanged for dry towels the next day! The grounds are lovely! Beautiful flowers, lovely water features and plenty of seating areas. Truely an oasis! We used the pool one day after our trip to the beach - it felt delighful! The happy hour was a real nice touch! The tiki bar was well stocked - beer, wine and spirits! Capt. Kevin kept us all in stitches. The drinks were plentiful and the conversation was great. It was nice to meet the other guests. They have a nice continential breakfast each morning. We attended one morning - bagels, muffins, cold cereal, yougart, fruit, juices, coffee and tea. We had a wonderful time at the Duval Inn and if I ever get back to Key West, I wouldn't stay any place else. I will also recommend the Duval Inn to any one I know!

Room Tip: The Amanda room was adjacent to the front porch and overlooked the parking area. It was very quiet a...