“Great Location”
Review of New Orleans House

New Orleans House
Ranked #52 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

The location is best thing about this hotel. The staff is very friendly and quick to respond to your needs. The rooms are a bit small but they're good for the price. The room location was no the greates as it was on top of the bar and the music goes on until 4am. Really wish the put the volume down after 2, they also need a variety of music. Playing gay techno it's such a cliche. Overall it was a great place and we had a lot of fun.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank TK0531

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Overall the property is older, but serviceable. The staff is very warm and welcoming (especially Rob at the Garden Bar and Paul, inside). We stayed one night, unplanned so the room we got was probably the smallest of the rooms, no windows a little bathhouse like, although it had very high ceilings. It's was above the club, and off the gym so it was pretty noisy, but I didn't really notice by the time I went to sleep. My only REAL issue was the gate. It requires a key card to get OUT!. We never left thru that gate so we didn't know ( and were not told). At 7am we left the room and i put the key on the dresser like I always do in a hotel. Then we go to the gate and we couldn't get out. I after walking all over the back property I realized that we were going to have to jump the fence to get out. The staff doesn't show up till 9am and we couldn't wait around. I suppose most people wouldn't notice it, but it makes me wonder about and emergency? Overall I would possibly stay here again, although I would book a better room..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank RenegadeProducer
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I apologize for the situation where you were locked into the pool area.

Usually, our staff gives a full tour to anyone that has not stayed with us in the past and during that tour, we explain the side gate and how to open it. I will speak to the employee that checked you in to find out why that was not done.

There are very few times that there are no employees on property and unfortunately, you left right at that time. The bar is open until 4AM. The staff leaves around 4:45. Our cleaning crew comes in at 5AM and they are done by 7AM. At 8AM the housekeeping staff arrives and the property is staffed until closing the next morning. In every room as well as at the office door are emergency contact numbers. We can be reached at any time to assist as needed.

That gate is also programmed to unlock in the event of an emergency (such as a power loss).

The room you were in is our least expansive room and is actually one of our most popular. That room is only $99 a night and that is unheard of to stay on Duval Street. The room is an "interior" room so it does not have any walls that face the outside and thus, no windows. It is also right above the nightclub so it is one of our noisiest rooms however, due to the lack of windows, it is the perfect room for those that like to stay up late and sleep in since there is no sunlight coming into the room to wake you up in the morning.

We have a vast array of rooms starting with that economy room, right up to large rooms with a full kitchen and even a free standing one bedroom cottage. We have rooms for every budget and with amenities to suit almost everyone.

I hope you will stay again and try out one of our other rooms with more amenities. I think you will be pleased.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We have stayed here many many times and always have had a wonderful experience. The staff is extremely pleasant and helpful. Our last trip was in June 2013. Perfect example of how accomadating this place is was when our Air Conditioner went on the blink. They immediately went out and bought a brand new one and had it installed within minutes. We highly recommend New Orleans house. Also it is located in the heart of Key West within walking distance of everything. Also they have a very reasonably priced grill by the pool with delicious wraps, burgers, salads etc. You have to check out "Hazel's Grill!"

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Great Location, Great Entertainment, Awesome Customer Service. I was there with my pal 4 weeks ago and I am so looking forward to returning Tomorrow. Room12 is perfectly fine for me. I wasn't aware of $25.00 charge for room key as I thought it was just a generic key. I was able to mail back and no charge. Very pleasant making reservation.

Room Tip: 12 is great. Muffled noises from Garden Bar at night but not uncomfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bo S
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We paid $180 per night, which include gratuity!!
Pros: Clean (but small) room, nice bathroom. Parking is only $5 a day!
Con: Gratuity was included but they didn't make my bed, and didn't clean my room. What is gratuity for? Breakfast is "horrible", compared to other hotels we stayed before in Key West. Breakfast includes personal size cereal, horrible tasted orange juice, packaged muffins, bagel, and weak coffee. With $180 a night, you would think they would provide better breakfast and better room service!! Happy hour bartender never bothered to ask if we needed more drinks during happy hours. When the happy hour was over, he would come around and ask if we wanted more drinks (hotel policy?)!!!

Room Tip: Try other hotels.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Q_Norachaipeerapat
NewOrleansHouse, Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,. Feedback such as this is very important for us so that we know when we have not met a guest's expectations.

I sincerely apologize that your room was not serviced during your visit. Our housekeepers are there every day to service rooms and if your room was missed, that is something I would like to be made aware of. Please call the hotel and ask for me personally so that I can determine what days your room was not serviced and take appropriate action with my housekeeping staff. Your room not being serviced is not acceptable,

There is little I can do about the breakfast selection. Due to State Of Florida regulations, I am limited as to what I can provide to my guests. Everything I provide must be prepackaged and individually wrapped. I am not even able to provide bread for toast so I have to rely on individually wrapped bagels. We provide a wide assortment of foods for any appetites including muffins, pastries, cereals (including healthy adult cereals), fruit cups, assorted yogurt. 2 types of bagels, fresh fruit (currently we have oranges), as well as orange juice, cranberry juice coffee, and tea. We even serve local Key West bananas when they are in season (which they are not currently.)

Our coffee is one of the more popular local brands and usually gets very good comments from our guests but it is possible that the brewer malfunctioned and too much water was run through one pot. I'm sorry that it was not to your liking. Had you brought that to our attention, we would have been happy to brew you a fresh pot. Coffee is a very personal item and many people prefer it stronger or weaker. If you let us know at the front desk that the coffee we serve isn't strong enough for your taste, we would gladly brew a stronger pot that would be to your liking.

I understand how you feel that a $180 nightly rate (please keep in mind that 12.5% of that is taxes that are out of our control) may seem a little bit high compared to other places in the country but for Key West, we are actually very reasonable. We are the lowest priced all male property in town yet we still have the best location right on Duval Street. In fact, many hotels that charge more than us, provide no free breakfast of any kind. I try to balance my rates with amenities so that I can provide a reasonable nightly rate along with the amenities that my guests want. As I'm sure you're aware, we provide many value added amenities at no charge such as free cover at the Bourbon Street Pub and the 801 Bourbon, discounts to local restaurants and attractions, a full gym, and our complimentary happy hour.

While I am not in charge of the bar downstairs, I am happy to pass on your concerns about the bartender, When we speak on the phone, please let me know the dates that you had issues and I will take it up with the bar manager. Our bartenders should be attentive and responsive to all guests at all times. I can assure you, this is not the hotel policy and it will be dealt with.

As with most issues, communication is very important. I ask every guest how their stay is going and I would much rather hear comments like this while the guest is still with us so that we can make it right. My goal is to make sure that every guest has a delightful stay with us and if we fail to deliver that, I want to correct it right away so that you leave happy. I don't want a guest to leave frustrated.

I am very grateful that you took time out of your day to bring all of this to my attention. I invite you to come back and try us again as my guest and give us the opportunity to show you that these issues can be (and will be) corrected. Please call me and I will be happy to offer you a gift certificate for a future stay so that we may prove to you that we do appreciate your input.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had no issues with any employees I encountered. Everyone was friendly and did their job well.
General cleanliness was good; my room had quality bed linens, pillows and towels.
Happy hour, a modern gym, free access to clubs and $5.00 parking are appriciated and add to New Orleans House value.

However I feel the following needs to be addressed:
Room #12 needs some major attention.
Window air-conditioner is loud and missing the frame cover around it. You can see stuffed newspapers used as gap filler.
Ceiling fan is unbalanced/rattles.
Blinds/shutters on french doors are broken; one side mounted upside down. French doors missing curtains too.
Ice Bucket leaks.
Exposed wires along floor boards.
Vanity mirror covered in rust and mounted way too low. Could not see above my chest.
No full length mirror anywhere.
bath tub faucet handles mounted wrong and not marked hot & cold. Difficult to regulate water temp.
4 grab bars and everything mounted low in bathroom makes me think room #12 was originally for handy cap? With a step in tub and bed/funiture placement would never work for someone in a wheelchair?

Pool area and back bar look totally neglected.
Rotting siding and pealing paint on building.
Moss/weeds growing between paver stones.
Old; half burntout christmas/rope lights everywhere.
Lack of mod/resort lighting in general is sad because it could be a real cool place.
Back bar needs a good cleaning, painting and new counters.
Low overhang around bar is dangerous and filled with exposed wires. Looks like a fire hazard?
Public bathrooms inside and out back are totally gross!

In conclusion; would I stay and/or recommend New Orleans House? Based on a reasonable rate and knowing what to expect (or not expect), yes. However if the owners don't step it up and fix the obvious problems than I'd actively look elsewhere...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank BRYAN G
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. Feedback such as this is important so that we can make the improvements necessary so that we meet everyone's expectations.

I'm delighted that you were pleased with the customer service and the quality of the cleanliness and linens. We strive to provide rooms that are comfortable and clean at a price lower than our competition.

We renovated our first floor rooms about 8 years ago so they are beginning to show some wear and tear now. Room 12 is scheduled for renovation in mid September so your comments are very helpful in determining what we need to look at.

The air conditioner was just replaced a few weeks ago and was an emergency replacement while there was a guest in the room. To lessen the inconvenience for the guest, it was installed quickly. I was not aware that maintenance had not gone back in to correct the temporary repair. It has now been corrected. I will also have him re-balance the fan.

I will also have them repair the one broken slat on the plantation shutter on the french door. One shutter is mounted "upside down" so that both shutters open the same way the doors open. If we mounted them both the same, the right hand shutter would open on the hinge side of the door and not in the center where the door opens. Also, the rooms that have plantation shutters do not have curtains. The shutters offer full privacy when closed. The curtain rod will be removed during the renovation. It was left so that there wouldn't be holes in the woodwork.

The wires along the baseboard are for cable TV and for an old telephone jack that is no longer in service. The phone wire will be removed when the room is renovated.

I'm not sure what you mean about rust on the vanity mirror. That medicine cabinet is all wood and there is no rust present. The mirrors themselves are showing some minor separations at the edges but that is common with a mirror that is almost 10 years old. The mirror is mounted low due to the room originally being designed for handicap accessibility. When we renovate the room, we will be replacing it with a large mirror that will be acceptable for ADA compliance as well as for everyone else.

While there is no full length mirror in that room, there is a mirror over the headboard and while standing at the edge of the bed, you can see almost your entire body. I will add your request to the list of tasks to perform during that room renovation.

When that room was converted to be an ADA compliant room, the roll in shower was not a requirement. When the room no longer qualified as ADA compliant due to the tub, we moved furniture around and now a wheelchair would no longer fit in that room. During the renovation, we will be removing the tub, and rearranging the furniture so that the room meets the new ADA requirements.

The ice bucket in the room did have a hairline crack in the bottom and has been replaced.

The tub handles (which you are correct are backwards) will be replaced with a single handle control during the renovation and that issue will be resolved. The single handle control will also auto regulate temperature even when there are fluctuations in pressure which cause the current system to have temperature fluctuations.

Outside, there were weeds last weekend which I brought to the attention of maintenance. As of this morning they were removed so that issue has already been addressed. We remove the moss by the waterfall every two weeks but as with any waterfall, natural or man made, you will have moss growth at the bottom. It is safe but it is unsightly.

Our rope lighting is replaced annually in October. Any sections that have burned out will be replaced then.

The buildings are due for some maintenance including replacing damaged clapboards and paint. We have not scheduled that yet but it is on our capital improvement list.

While the bar is managed separately and not in my control, I will try to respond to your concerns to the best of my ability.

The outdoor garden bar renovation is actually in progress. They just replaced all the decking around the garden bar. The bar top itself is only a few years old and is teak wood but does need to be re-oiled. That will be done when the middle section is renovated. They have tried to schedule this a few times but due to a busier than normal season, they have postponed the project for a quieter time.

The wires that you saw were actually for some spot lights that are on the roof. Spot lights just plug into outlets and when they are not plugged in, you are just seeing cords wrapped up for storage. These wires are perfectly safe and totally to code.

The bathrooms in the bar are also scheduled for renovations but I am not sure when that is scheduled.

One thing I do want to remind you of. We are the lowest priced all male guesthouse in Key West even though we have the best location. I am able to keep those prices low by prioritizing my renovations and addressing the most important concerns. If I were to renovate every room all at once, I would have no choice but to raise my rates to what others are charging. I hope you can understand that we provide a great property at the best location while still charging a low nightly rate.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope you come back after that room is renovated so that you can see the transformation in that room.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I have been to Key West many times and for my last 2 trips I've stayed at The New Orleans House on Duval St. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel at home. I was having problems booking a trip on line and John make the reservations for me on their computer. The pool bar specials are wonderful....can't beat 2 for 1 happy hour! I also really enjoy the convenience of the location as it centrally located and an easy walk to most anywhere in old town. Another reason to stay is the free admission to the drag shows at 801 and free admission to the Bourbon St. Pub to see the dances. I always enjoy looking at the hot guys. I'm certain I will book another stay here soon!

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool are generally quieter than the ones above the dance club.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo