“Great location and great staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of New Orleans House

New Orleans House
Ranked #54 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great location and great staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We were in Key West in December of 2013. I'd been there many times in the late '80s through the mid '90s but my husband had never been there. The guest house that I had always stayed at was no longer a gay guest house so I searched for a new adventure. We chose New Orleans House because of the location. We did have passes to Island House and visited often during our vacation. When we decided to return for a festival in July of 2014 we did discuss the possibility of staying at Island House but chose to book a return to New Orleans House. The staff was great and the location is the best in Key West for dining and shopping. We had no problems with bar noise but we were not above the bar. Both sun decks and the pool area are great places to relax. An earlier review indicated that it wasn't clothing optional enough for them. We were very comfortable with or without clothing at New Orleans House. Very excited about our upcoming return visit to New Orleans House!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I'm so glad you had a great time. We want all of our guests to leave delighted. I'm elated that we succeeded.

I look forward to seeing you for our "special" weekend in July!

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here for a few days in early May.

Pros:

1. The guest house is conveniently located above a bar and in front of the two other gay bars in Key West's "Pink Triangle." The guest house also gives you a card with free admission to the bars and there is a complimentary happy hour for guests each afternoon.

2. The room itself, although small and windowless, was very clean and smelled very pleasant.

Cons:

1. The customer service at the resort was terrible. The guy who checked us in was very glib and almost sarcastic. He seemed preoccupied with talking about his nuptials instead of welcoming us. The front desk also closes in the evening, so there is no way to get any help after hours.

2. The shared bathroom was quite dirty and should have been cleaned regularly considering it was being shared between two rooms. The tap on the shower was also not working properly, and was a pain to adjust to the right temperature.

3. Although it didn't bother us, the pounding music from the bar downstairs does persist until 4 a.m., so if you want a quiet room, this is not ideal.

4. Although the guest house bills itself as clothing optional, there was rarely anyone on the sundeck or in the pool. Most of the people just hung around the garden bar, fully dressed.

In retrospect, we would strongly suggest that you pay the extra money to stay at the Island House. We went there on a day pass, and it was everything a gay resort should be!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hkyd
NewOrleansHouse, Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Any feedback is important so that we can continue to improve.

Thank you for your kind words about the location and the room. We strive to provide clean, pleasant accommodations with the best location on Duval.

Regarding your issues, I would like to address them.

Your treatment at the front desk is unacceptable and I am so sorry you were treated that way. I am replacing that front desk clerk immediately.

As for help after hours, in each room is a welcome book and in that book we explain that if you need anything after hours, you can ask for the manager on duty at the Bourbon Street Pub downstairs. In addition, there are also two phone numbers you can call in the event of any issues when the front desk is closed. We are available 24 hours a day via telephone. These numbers are also listed on the office door.

We do clean the shared bathroom when we service the room if it's available. On rare occasions, when we service one room, the other guest is using the shared bathroom. If for some reason, that other guest then requests no service, the shared bathroom would not have been serviced. If at any point, you need additional housekeeping services, please feel free to ask and we will go back through your room and try to service the bathroom again. It is rare that this happens but it does happen on occasion.

I will have maintenance check on the controls for the shower. Again, if you bring this to our attention while you are here, we would gladly service it immediately.

The room you selected is our least expensive room and it is located right above the nightclub. We do have quiet rooms and we suggest that you ask for a quiet room when booking your vacation if that is what you would prefer. Some people that stay up late actually prefer that room because of how inexpensive it is.

Unfortunately, we cannot control if our guests choose to take advantage of the "clothing optional" aspect of our property. From what I have seen, most of the people that go nude tend to use the third floor deck.

I am sorry that you didn't have a great experience here. Our property is not for everyone. We are more of a high energy party environment not a high end boutique guesthouse like other properties. We have the best location but that comes with the drawback of noise. Because of this, we charge less than all the other all male properties even though we have the best location. We also provide a free breakfast, free happy hour, free gym, and free access to the Bourbon Street Pub and the 801 Bourbon shows. With the combination of low price and free amenities, we attract a younger crowd that doesn't mind the noise and actually enjoys the party atmosphere.

I hope you will return to Key West and stop by during your stay. We charge no day pass fees to use our pool and sun decks so please stop by and enjoy the property again.
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Okay if you want a good night sleep this is not the place to stay in. It is noisy and it is noisy until 4am!

It's also friendly, okay rooms and close to mostly everything in Key West.

The pool area is also the bar area and that means not the cleanest place.

But finally, we know all this and we had really fun and a very good stay!

Room Tip: Do NOT choose the ones above the bar/disco! You will be sleeping on top of the base itself.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank morsva
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your feedback is very helpful in letting other visitors know exactly what our property is all about.

Just to clarify, we do have some quiet rooms. When booking your reservation, if you choose based on price alone, you will get one of our less quiet rooms. Our least expensive room is located right above the nightclub and that's why it is the least expensive.

The next time you reserve through us, please let us know you would like a quiet room and we will be glad to reserve the best room for you.

Our pool and garden bar area is cleaned each morning however, twice a year, our glorious avocado tree drops leaves and buds for almost three weeks. During this time, we clean a few extra times but it's still impossible to keep up and the area will have leaves strewn about.

I hope you will stay with us again and try one of our quieter rooms. I believe you will be pleased as you will still have the great location, be right in the middle of the action, but have the option of going to bed early should you choose to,

Berlin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Have been there in March 2014.

When we arrived first we thought that this is realy a good place to relax for a few days: Nice roof (2nd and 3rd floor) with relaxing chairs, nice garden with pool and bar (Drag Shows at weekend sometimes).

Rooms are nice and big enough. Ours was clean. The staff where always friendly and had a smile. Guests seem to be more 50+ some are 30+.

Happy hour from 4.30 - 6.30 a.m. drinks are for free what is very generous.

We think the place has more potential but it seems that the owner not realy take care about this as long as the House is booked.

What was horrable was the noice. At daytime when we wanted having a relaxed time on the sunbeds the music from the garden bar was that extremely loud, that we needed to leave to have a better time anywhere in the city.

There where maximum 5 people at the bar the same time daytimes and we realy don't know why they needed to make that loud music (Rap, Rock, RnB...no chilled music)???

In the night it was that noise to but I think thats normal because there is a bar. But for a deep sleep it is very disturbing. ..the bar is open until 4 in the morning.

They can not offer hot breakfast because they don't have a commercial kittchen what is ok for us. There are a lot of restaurants at Duval Street where you can have breakfast. At least New Orleans House offers something packed in plastic, Coffee and Orange juice.

For party people and singles the place probably is ok. If you want to relax and want to have a quiet chilling time you should look for another accommodation.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate any and all feedback that we receive.

I'm so pleased that you were happy with the staff and the cleanliness of your room. We strive to provide the best service possible.

I'm sorry that you were not happy with the music around the pool. We do play upbeat music around the pool and patio area however, we also have two additional levels of sundecks for those that wish to tan and not be so close to the party area. The third floor sundeck is a great way to lay out in a private setting and the music is quieter there to where you can use earbuds to hear your own music from a personal player.

We do play jazz on the front balcony is you are looking for a more serene area to read a book or just to chill and relax.

There is little I can do about the music coming from the bar downstairs but we do have some quiet rooms for those that do not want to stay up late. In the future, please inquire about about a quieter room and we would be happy to find the best room to suit your needs.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again for a future visit.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Just one night...but the price was right,

So we took this room, rather small (I have stayed in a lot of B&B;s and much smaller hotels) However, the bathroom was shared between the two room and folks tend NOT to care for the white floor towel while getting in and out with their shoes. We did not see them but we did notice that they have a taste for a lot of expensive branded toiletries!

Beds are comfortable, lighting in the room is good and the internet connectivity is great. The big patio right outside our door was fabulous with the big red boot Sushi lowers herself in on New Year's Eve. We took some pictures too and hoped Anderson C would cover our story:) It is a large patio facing Duval and I could spend my entire day there drinking and eating watching the crowds go by.

Parking is right next to the building across the narrow one way street but easy to navigate for just $5.00 with in and out privileges since it is an open lot. We were allowed to park early and also accommodated for early check in. The staff is friendly all smiles with a great attitude and helpful. Breakfast is plenty...cold sandwiches like you get at McDonald that needs to be micro heated, juices, some fruit, bagels, bread and hot beverages.

Bonus included happy hour free drinks between 5-6:30pm and the rooftop patio to cozy up with friends and or strangers particularly after dark. Also a Free Pass to the three bars which they call Pink Triangle was additional bonus. After 8pm, you need to use your key card to get in through the main door though. For those who still like to take care of their body shapes and muscles, ther's a fair sized gym in the centre of the building on the second floor.

Considering it is a Male Gay Guesthouse and also a historic property right in the heart of Key West, it sure could do with a little bit of Tender Loving Care particularly the patios both front and back. Some nice paints, polish, finishings and some comforting and matching furniture would do magic to this place.

I hope the owners now take note of the area around the pool and Jacuzzi which looked like a total mess...a stage, strewn chairs all around it and disorganized area no self respecting queer would take so little pride in an urban drag kitsch! This is a great property and I am sure the owners could afford to spend some money to upgrade.

Overall, I am satisfied with the general cleanliness of rooms and bathroom and the surrounding and the whole vibe to this place. If I were to go back to Key West again, I would look for a more modern B&B around the area (There are plenty in Duval Street and around the corner) But I would definitely stay at this place if I did not have a whole lot of choices for similar price range.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Samboosa
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate all feedback so that we can make sure everyone has a delightful time.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the amenities the hotel has to offer such as the free happy hour.

Our breakfast is limited due to the fact that we do not have a commercial kitchen. Florida law does not allow us to prepare any food fresh but as you noted, we do have the microwaveable breakfast sandwiches which have gotten a very positive response from our guests.

I'm sorry that the other guests sharing your bathroom were not as courteous as you would like. During the housekeeping service each day, the bathroom is cleaned but we have no way of controlling what the other guest is doing in the bathroom in between cleanings. I hope that wasn't too big of an issue for you.

The "shared bath" rooms are my least expensive rooms (and the least expensive all male rooms you will find anywhere on the island.) In the future, you may be more comfortable in a room with a private bath.

Some of the exterior parts of our property are scheduled for paint however, we are specifically holding off for the time being. We are in the busiest time right now and we find that most guests do not wish to have the inconvenience of having painting going on while they are trying to enjoy the property. Just last week, we were painting our perimeter fence since that was in an area that would not be a bother to guests. We will schedule the painting during a slower time when it will inconvenience fewer guests.

The area around the pool and hot tub are cleaned each morning however, being in a subtropical environment, our trees are very different than tress that go through 4 seasons. As the weather gets warmer, our trees shed their leaves to start new growth. Right now, our avocado tree that dominates a large portion of that area is dropping buds and leaves. By the late afternoon, it can have the appearance of being unkempt but this is just the nature of that tree. The leaves will stop dropping in a few weeks and the yard will look cleaner all day.

The chairs in the back area that you noticed were all around tables that are there for people to eat at while dining at the outdoor grill.

Our furnishings are basic by design. We are the least expensive gay guesthouse in town yet we have the best location. It would be very simple for me to upgrade my furnishings and turn the property into a luxury hotel but then our rates would have to go up to pay for these upgrades. We have asked our guests if they would be willing to pay a premium for a luxury resort and we are told time and time again that they spend little time in the room and the furnishings are not a priority. They love the location and the fact that they are right in the middle of the party. We do provide things that we don't have to charge a premium for such as exceptional customer service, clean rooms with high quality linens, free access to the local bars, a complimentary happy hour, and a complimentary breakfast.

You mentioned that you will look for a more modern B&B in the area. I encourage you to do that and compare their rates. You did say you would definitely stay with us again if you couldn't find anything in a similar price range. Once you compare, you will see our prices are substantially lower than most of the competition, lower than every other gay guesthouse, and none have the superior location that we have.

I hope you will stay with us again and overlook the minor issues that most of our guests agree are not as important as our location and low rates.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Staff was super friendly,attentive and accomodating from the reservation to check out. Me and friend stayed at the cottage room #13 it was perfect and one of the most if not the quiest room of all.
Their prices where good value for money in comparasion to other hotels. Second staying time and will defientely consider them again. Neil Alex and everyone of their staff were great.

Room Tip: Cottage Room is quiet and easy access to the bar, pool and fun.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alexar092272
Johnstown, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed at the New Orleans House again for a third time. Every time I stay gets better and better. The rooms are nice and clean, The managers, and the owner, and all the staff that work there are really great. I have not yet had one bad stay there. If there is something wrong tell them, and they will come and fix it right away if they can.

The Bartenders and Bar Backs were great. I never had a problem getting a drink especially when they were super busy. I felt like I was at home when I stayed at the New Orleans House, and when I was in the Bourbon St. Pub.

I will always recommend this place to people, and stay there when I come to Key West when I can. I stayed in room 11A.

Everything was awesome when I was there, I have no complaints.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you so much for your review. I am so gratified that each stay is better than the last. My goal is to continually improve and I am happy we are achieving that goal.

Our regular guests do become "family" to us and we are happy to have you as part of our family.