“Run down hotel and fire hazard”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of New Orleans House

New Orleans House
Ranked #54 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Bel Air, Maryland
“Run down hotel and fire hazard”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Booked a room for a long weekend stay. VERY NOISY hotel, great location, staff was very nice as well as the breakfast, but that is it.

Price you paid was NOT WORTH IT. Many of problems at this property, run down, dirty rooms, dusty ceiling fan in room, shower in room was bad, bed hard as a rock. Entire places needs to be painted, throughly, power washed and a repairs done on property. ALSO A MAJOR FIRE HAZARD.

Electrically sockets over loaded, bare wire out, missing electrical plates and so on. Property is in POOR CONDITIONS.

A fire hazard waiting to happen, if there is a fire it would burn to the ground. I WOULD NOT SUGGEST ANY TO ANY STAY THERE.

Better places to stay and be safe.

2 Thank Mike D
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
I feel the need to respond to this review differently than I usually do.

I am very appreciative of all reviews on my property as I need feedback to ensure I am providing the best experience to my guests at a very reasonable rate.

This was not so much a review but a total slam. We had received a letter from this guest shortly after he stayed with a huge list of things he felt were wrong with the property. Now, please understand that he stayed for his entire stay. I always say to guests if you have an issue, bring it to my attention right away. If we cannot make a guest happy, I would rather help them find other accommodations than to stay where they are not happy.

This guest actually stayed the entire visit and then threatened to contact his credit card company. When that didn't work, he posted this review and went so far as to contact the local fire department to inspect our property.

Less than a month ago, we passed our life and safety inspection done annually by the fire department but due to the complaint, they are required to come out and reinspect. They again said that we passed and there are NO fire hazards here.

The "wires" that he spoke of are control wires that operate the multitude of lights that we use during our New Years Celebration. Anyone that has ever been here knows what a huge production this is. Those wires carry not voltage and only signal the lights what to do and when to do it. They are totally benign and pose no risk whatsoever.

What he perceived as "overloaded" sockets were actually boxes that run our spotlights. These boxes have 8 outlets on them and are made to run up to 8 lights and up to 1800 WATTS. Each box has 4 lights plugged into it for a total of 1200 WATTS. All of our electrical is totally to code and is inspected every year.

Our hotel has a state of the art alarm system hooked directly into the Key West Fire Department that is just 2 blocks away. We have fire extinguishers all over the property in the common areas, every room with a kitchen or even a kitchenette has a fire extinguisher and we have all of these inspected (or replaced after a certain age) every year.

We take safety VERY seriously and this reviewers comments have been investigated and proven to be false by professionals trained to keep people safe.

It should also be noted that the letter this guest sent stated that he was an Assistant General Manager at another hotel so I would think he would understand the importance of communicating concerns with management. When he checked out, not a word was said. We thought this guest left happy. Then we received his letter which the hotel owner referred to as a "Full Building Inspection" as you would do when purchasing a building.

His letter was not without merits. He commented on some issues that we are aware of but we have chosen to not address during our busy season. We do not want to bother our guests with workers and scaffolding to paint during high season. We will do that during our slower times when it will inconvenience less guests. This year has been an extremely busy year and rooms have been rented back to back meaning there is less time to take care of minor issues in the room such as his loose shower handle but now as things have slowed down a little, we can begin to address them.

I can't speak as to the motivations of this guest other than his comment about contacting his credit card company. I can only make an assumption based on that.

Before putting too much weight into this review, please understand this person's motivations as well as the other reviews that you will read here. Al of Al and Chuck .travel is a professional in the gay travel industry and he gave us a 5 point raking with glowing reviews. If you come here to have a good time, we will make that happen.

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We are happy to report that we returned to The New Orleans Guest house on May 28th and had a wonderful time. From the desk cleks to the housekeepers to the bartenders, everyone was so nice and made us feel so welcome as returning guests. The free breakfast on the Grand Balcony is excellent, and Hazel's Grill by the pool has great burgers, chicken, hot dogs and more at such reasonable prices and the food is delicious. The pool and hot tub are a great way to meet other guys, so grab a drink at the Garden bar and relax in a lounge chair underneath the beautiful Key West sun. The location cannot be beat - the center of nightlife as 801 Night club is across the street and the Bourbon bar is on the main floor with strippers nightly. Then you are right there at the end of the night and are only steps away from your clean comfortable room!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you both for taking the time to write a review. Our regular guests such as yourselves become "family" to us and we always love it when family comes to visit! I very much appreciate that you always have great friends come down as well. It's guests like you that make my job a pleasure!

Looking forward to your next visit.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This place was great!! The location is perfect, you don't need a car or scooter, or even need to leave the hotel. We loved the staff, they we very entertaining and helpful. TJ very sexy and sassy, Wesley was super sweet and loved watching you work, Wade is very handsome, helpful and best eye candy to wake up to...he was the AM bartender. John and Steve, the front desk guys, thank you for your island suggestions and great service. We had a blast, stayed an extra night, and will be back soon.

We loved our room, it was the loft that opened to the front balcony, big enough for 4. Room service was every day, but one. Breakfast ok, but you can alway walk either way and find what you want. cocktail hour and a half was awesome, free drinks, cant be that. Gay bar right downstairs and two across the street, drag show was great, one of the best. We just had an over great time.....Thank you.

• Stayed May 2014
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased that you had a great stay with us.

I will look into the lack of housekeeping on that day. We provide daily service and if your room was missed, I sincerely apologize. The only time we should not service a room is if the guest displays the Do Not Disturb sign or specifically asks for no service that day. I promise we will try harder to provide the services your deserve on your next visit.

Thank you again for your review and I hope we will be seeing you again soon.

Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We know GAY TRAVEL! Al, Chuck and our Director of Sales Daniel stayed Memorial Weekend at New Orleans House in Key West.

FIRST, let me say, that we paid full rack rate to stay. So we have no trade or other obligation for a positive or negative review. This is important because what you read here is a REAL review.

SECOND, The location is outstanding. In the heart of Key West & Duval Streets "PINK TRIANGLE." That means you can have a room and walk downstairs to ample poolbar and pool/hot tub; to their on property Bourbon Pub (which is the best gay dance bar in Key West), across the street to 801 Bourbon for downstairs bar (and upstairs drag shows); and Saloon 1 (the dark Leather / Bear bar) which was Chuck's favorite; AQUA which is a great dance club with DJ and also selected drag shows. All of these are within 1 minutes walk. Then LaTeDA (within 3 minutes) for a great cabaret show and the best Sunday Tea Dance in Key West. So, if you want location... this is it.

THIRD, Location means some noise. We read other reviews here. I am unclear why Gay Men (only men at New Orleans House) would come and stay here for it's location and then complain about noise. We came prepared (with ear plugs) and didn't find it a fraction of the complaints we read. There are many different room choices, so choose carefully. But, we didn't find it a problem.

FOURTH, Rooms are good but temper your expectations. We had room 24 (which had a loft) and small kitchen and direct access to balcony on Duval. We expected "Gay Shabby" that is common in many mens guesthouses. We got some of that but was very, VERY pleasantly surprised. The bedding was great and the room was in good shape. It's not Hyatt Regency but it is not intended to be. The amenity is your location and what they offer here. And that was lots and lots of fun.

FIFTH, The bars and activities are great. The pool was very lively and fun. The pool bar was busy the entire weekend and we met men from Australia, Europe, and all over North America. We met muscle bears from Pittsburgh and Drag Queens from Los Angeles. As it is also clothing optional (pool and sun decks) you know what to expect. And we had lots of fun and conversations with people across the world.

SIXTH, you are on Duval so everything is at your footstep. Shopping, galeries, fantastic restaurants are all adjacent or minutes of walking. Literally, there is nothing you can't walk or stumble into.

Finally, I talked to bartenders, the GM, the owner (at the poolbar) and found staff to be interesting, proud of Key West and keenly desiring to make your stay a great one. Of course they knew who we were, but I noticed this same attitude with so many of the overnight and day guests.

Key West is a magical place for our community. Their is Waldorf Astoria, and Hyatt, and Marriott and other great hotel names here. But this is GAY KEY WEST and New Orleans House deserves your attention and your money. I know it received plenty of ALandCHUCK's and were happy to do so.
PS: PROOF of our review... Anderson Cooper CNN broadcasts live from in front of New Orleans House at New Years Eve when the house Drag Queen SUSHI drops from the high heel shoe here onto Duval Street. We made reservations on the second day of our stay... we are coming back at New Years for the party and spectacle. And we are paying full rate. So this review is one you can trust. all the best in your travels...Al and Chuck

Room Tip: Room 24 with Balcony on Duval is quieter. If this is very important to you ask them for recommendat...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ALandCHUCKtravel
Thank you both for your review. Coming from travel experts such as yourself, I am so proud that my staff delivered a positive experience. I am so grateful that you've shared your experience with us.

I'm very much looking forward to your return trip for New Years!

Thanks again

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We were in Key West in December of 2013. I'd been there many times in the late '80s through the mid '90s but my husband had never been there. The guest house that I had always stayed at was no longer a gay guest house so I searched for a new adventure. We chose New Orleans House because of the location. We did have passes to Island House and visited often during our vacation. When we decided to return for a festival in July of 2014 we did discuss the possibility of staying at Island House but chose to book a return to New Orleans House. The staff was great and the location is the best in Key West for dining and shopping. We had no problems with bar noise but we were not above the bar. Both sun decks and the pool area are great places to relax. An earlier review indicated that it wasn't clothing optional enough for them. We were very comfortable with or without clothing at New Orleans House. Very excited about our upcoming return visit to New Orleans House!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I'm so glad you had a great time. We want all of our guests to leave delighted. I'm elated that we succeeded.

I look forward to seeing you for our "special" weekend in July!

Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here for a few days in early May.

Pros:

1. The guest house is conveniently located above a bar and in front of the two other gay bars in Key West's "Pink Triangle." The guest house also gives you a card with free admission to the bars and there is a complimentary happy hour for guests each afternoon.

2. The room itself, although small and windowless, was very clean and smelled very pleasant.

Cons:

1. The customer service at the resort was terrible. The guy who checked us in was very glib and almost sarcastic. He seemed preoccupied with talking about his nuptials instead of welcoming us. The front desk also closes in the evening, so there is no way to get any help after hours.

2. The shared bathroom was quite dirty and should have been cleaned regularly considering it was being shared between two rooms. The tap on the shower was also not working properly, and was a pain to adjust to the right temperature.

3. Although it didn't bother us, the pounding music from the bar downstairs does persist until 4 a.m., so if you want a quiet room, this is not ideal.

4. Although the guest house bills itself as clothing optional, there was rarely anyone on the sundeck or in the pool. Most of the people just hung around the garden bar, fully dressed.

In retrospect, we would strongly suggest that you pay the extra money to stay at the Island House. We went there on a day pass, and it was everything a gay resort should be!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hkyd
NewOrleansHouse, Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Any feedback is important so that we can continue to improve.

Thank you for your kind words about the location and the room. We strive to provide clean, pleasant accommodations with the best location on Duval.

Regarding your issues, I would like to address them.

Your treatment at the front desk is unacceptable and I am so sorry you were treated that way. I am replacing that front desk clerk immediately.

As for help after hours, in each room is a welcome book and in that book we explain that if you need anything after hours, you can ask for the manager on duty at the Bourbon Street Pub downstairs. In addition, there are also two phone numbers you can call in the event of any issues when the front desk is closed. We are available 24 hours a day via telephone. These numbers are also listed on the office door.

We do clean the shared bathroom when we service the room if it's available. On rare occasions, when we service one room, the other guest is using the shared bathroom. If for some reason, that other guest then requests no service, the shared bathroom would not have been serviced. If at any point, you need additional housekeeping services, please feel free to ask and we will go back through your room and try to service the bathroom again. It is rare that this happens but it does happen on occasion.

I will have maintenance check on the controls for the shower. Again, if you bring this to our attention while you are here, we would gladly service it immediately.

The room you selected is our least expensive room and it is located right above the nightclub. We do have quiet rooms and we suggest that you ask for a quiet room when booking your vacation if that is what you would prefer. Some people that stay up late actually prefer that room because of how inexpensive it is.

Unfortunately, we cannot control if our guests choose to take advantage of the "clothing optional" aspect of our property. From what I have seen, most of the people that go nude tend to use the third floor deck.

I am sorry that you didn't have a great experience here. Our property is not for everyone. We are more of a high energy party environment not a high end boutique guesthouse like other properties. We have the best location but that comes with the drawback of noise. Because of this, we charge less than all the other all male properties even though we have the best location. We also provide a free breakfast, free happy hour, free gym, and free access to the Bourbon Street Pub and the 801 Bourbon shows. With the combination of low price and free amenities, we attract a younger crowd that doesn't mind the noise and actually enjoys the party atmosphere.

I hope you will return to Key West and stop by during your stay. We charge no day pass fees to use our pool and sun decks so please stop by and enjoy the property again.
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Okay if you want a good night sleep this is not the place to stay in. It is noisy and it is noisy until 4am!

It's also friendly, okay rooms and close to mostly everything in Key West.

The pool area is also the bar area and that means not the cleanest place.

But finally, we know all this and we had really fun and a very good stay!

Room Tip: Do NOT choose the ones above the bar/disco! You will be sleeping on top of the base itself.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank morsva
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your feedback is very helpful in letting other visitors know exactly what our property is all about.

Just to clarify, we do have some quiet rooms. When booking your reservation, if you choose based on price alone, you will get one of our less quiet rooms. Our least expensive room is located right above the nightclub and that's why it is the least expensive.

The next time you reserve through us, please let us know you would like a quiet room and we will be glad to reserve the best room for you.

Our pool and garden bar area is cleaned each morning however, twice a year, our glorious avocado tree drops leaves and buds for almost three weeks. During this time, we clean a few extra times but it's still impossible to keep up and the area will have leaves strewn about.

I hope you will stay with us again and try one of our quieter rooms. I believe you will be pleased as you will still have the great location, be right in the middle of the action, but have the option of going to bed early should you choose to,