“Don't waste your money”

Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Kansas City, Missouri
“Don't waste your money”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect, with everything in walking distance. The facility is
dated. We tripped over buckled carpet in the hallways several times. There is a musty smell. We paid $500 a night for a full ocean view. Cruise ships blocked our view completely every morning when we awoke. We were unable to watch the sunset from our decks on most nights because the cruise ships were still there. The front desk and management personnel were rude and not at all helpful. Since we have stayed here many times, it is sad to see this facility go downhill to such a state.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank MARGO G
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable to hear your stay didn't meet your expectations. While we are an active cruise ship port (which we state on our website), cruise ships do not dock here everyday. The city of Key West has a schedule on their website. Our dock is designated as pier (b). The schedule is subject to change, therefore, it is not possible to predict/guarantee/notify a guest of the presence or absence of a cruise ship. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes. Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel.

Marketing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I made a mistake upon booking a reservation for this property. I IMMEDIATELY contacted the booking agent who in turn contacted the property and indicated that we would not be charged. Come the next day, we were charged in full in spite of what we were told the prior evening.
The manager was very callous showing no interest or concern for our situation. I even indicated that I could provide transcript of the events in question from the booking agent. I don't mind paying for a valid transaction, but if the consumer makes a mistake and immediately works to resolve the issue... It is a moral responsibility of the provider to resolve the issue. Shame on the management for their short sighted, greedy, unprofessional attitude. I would advise to find another property with a staf who cares about their customers and are interested in delivering a service for the money they earn. This transaction is disputed so they won't get a free lunch... but they do have a couple who won't ever be contributing to their business again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Stevenrb1970
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I stayed at the Westin Key West for a long weekend in Mid December 2013. Everything was wonderful! We got upgraded to an ocean view room and it was awesome. Yes there were cruise ships there every day, but they were gone by sunset. Plus it is fun to watch the ships come and go. And once they left we had a great view of the sunset!
The location couldn't have been more perfect. close to Mallory Square and a block away from all the action on Duval Street. I have stayed in Key West away from the action, and I have to say that I loved this location much better of being close to everything and not having to worry about driving, parking, taking a shuttle or grabbing a cab. The extra money it cost to stay at the Westin was probably what would have been spent in cab fare. And just nice for the convenience.
The rooms were great--typical Westin. I liked that it had a refrigerator. The shower was also awesome with the rainhead showerhead! And you can't beat the Westin Heavenly Bed. If I did have one complaint was that the air conditioner was loud. That stuff does not bother me, but one thing to be cautious about if that is important to you. One of the other cons.....our room was located about as far away from the elevators as possible. A lot of corners and a long walk to the room......at first I wondered if we were ever going to get there. But once we got there.....fantastic room! Worth the long walk!
All the staff was fabulous and extremely friendly. The pool was great as well although it does get some shadows so not always a sunny view if you are looking to catch some rays.
We ate breakfast at the restaurant a couple of times. Both times the food was amazing. And a great view of the cruise ships coming in to port.
I would definitly stay at the Westin again when I go back to Key West!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank stjohnlover70
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review. It is always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 23 December 2013

the hotel is well located in the water front close to much attractions . we got a room with a view of the marina and the cruise ships. really confortable beds and pillows, flat screen tv, bathrooms are ok not luxury. the room is a good size with balcony. but in general the service is lacking the emplyees do not go beyond to help you. hotel have self and valet parking. breakfast is good but not included

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pethabmia
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I hadn't been in Key West in about fifteen years, and had a couple of days available between business meetings in Miami and travel to Latin America, so I headed to Key West. I could not believe how much the place had grown and how much of a tourist destination it's become.

My visit was wedged between Fantasy Fest and a Jimmy Buffet Free Concert Weekend, so I was lucky to get in. The hotel is verey nice, with excellent rooms, those great beds and an excellent bathroom and closets.

I went to visit the last hotel in which I had stayed, then a Marriott, but still a very big resort hotel, the Casa Marnia, now part of the Hilton-Waldorf chain, which is on the beach. The choice to stay in the marina or on the beach depends on what you're planning to do, but since I had aspirations to enjoy some good food with my wife and to check out the local shopping, I'm sure that we made the right choice. If you are a beach bum, though, the private Casa may be for you instead.

We took advantage of the private boat from the marina to the affiliated Sunset Key Island just off the harbor, and really enjoyed our private on-the-beach dinner there.

One important lesson we learned - pay attention to your restaurant bills. Many restaurants in South Florida have started to adhere to the European and Asian practice of placing a service charge on the bill when it is presented to you. Since most Americans aren't expecting to have it added in advance, it's easy to DOUBLE TIP and since we did it ourselves a couple of times before we caught on, we also discovered that no one is going to tell you that you've done it. All the restaurants at the Westin and in town do the same - so watch out.

Room Tip: Careful with your restaurant Bill - the tip is included, and consider getting a room on the top floo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and time in Key West and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Miami
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My wife and I are very big fans of Key West. One time we stay at the Westin. The location is pretty good in the Old Town. Good service, great breakfast, nice rooms, cozy, good pool area and the most important thing is being in a walking distance to all the nice restaurants and bars... I recommend this place!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Conejo
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I booked a reservation December 13th. For 3 rooms.
I called December 17th to un-book one room because of a medical emergency.
Yes the rate was a non-refundable rate that I was given not online, but through an SPG operator who did not disclose to me the full policy. Fine.

And I was not canceling the entire stay, only one because of a serious medical problem.
The hotel chastised me and told me to take responsibility, and that since I booked it online I should have known. Belittled me to the core. Harshly and sternly.

I begged them for some credit, or to at least take half. They completely refused and made me feel worthless and irresponsible. I'm sorry 2105 is a massive amount of money. You can keep half and rent the room to someone else, I would have been happy with this. But they refused. OR for resort credit. NOTHING.

On top of refusing, made me feel absolutely worthless. That I had committed an offense.
Its sad and made me feeling bad about myself and the person who is suffering and unable to make their trip and on top of everything responsible and guilty.

I'm not sure how the rest of my family will survive the stay here. We are all scared to check in based on the belligerence and lack of empathy exhibited by the reservations manager. How would anyone enjoy their stay when there is zero refusal to make any accommodation for a $2100 dollar booking. And for that matter because of someone who is sick.

Room Tip: Be VERY VERY careful booking your room at the non refundable rate, once you done it (unlike many oth...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Mathew V
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is regrettable to hear that your phone experience did not meet your expectations. The reservation made was a non-changeable, non-cancelable, non-refundable reservation. After speaking with the reservations department, they did extend an offer for your deposit to be applied toward future dates with a doctor's note. Thanks again for taking the time to write this review.