“That one (not so little) thing they forgot to mention. . . .”

Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I really like this hotel - it's very well situated for touring Key West. The staff is friendly and helpful and the Sunday Brunch in their restaurant is EXCELLENT. It has everything you can think of - there's the usual eggs/bacon/sausage/potatoes/eggs benedict/omelets to order - but then it goes on to have a beautiful seafood bar with shrimp, oysters and crab claws, smoked salmon and hot dishes like pasta with shrimp, carved beef and roast duck - and then the cold dishes including caesar salad, ahi tuna, pickled beet salad, lobster salad, sushi, brie with walnuts, fresh berries and some other things I can't remember. Also wonderful desserts - key lime creme brule, little cakes, mousse (chocolate and lime) and on top of that "bottomless Mimosas or champagne" which you finally just have to say "NO MORE PLEASE." Not cheap - but a good value and you won't want to eat again on Sunday.

The one thing at the hotel they forgot to mention - is that every cruise ship in the Caribbean docks here. There are three docs - one at Mallory Square (right next door), Pier B (right out front) and Old Mole (no idea) just to the other side of Pier B. You may have one to three ships at a time. That can mean in the neighborhood of 6000 passengers who get off to see Key West. It can get pretty crowded. The GOOD news is that they leave before sunset which would be a real problem for their "Sunset Deck" which does have fantastic views. I have a feeling the "ocean front" room occupants were pretty surprised the morning they woke up to look right into a HUGE ship. But there is a website that tells you when they arrive and leave athttp://www.cruiseportinsider.com/keywestschedule2014.html#.Uuabu_30DL8

A very nice stay - especially considering it's 17 degrees and snowing at home!!!

Room Tip: Don't go for the ocean front rooms - ships are in your face.
1  Thank Patay1
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, our location and the Sunday Brunch. The brunch is one of the best in town and enjoyed not only by our guests but the locals as well! Thanks again for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Marketing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (2,362)

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here for six nights, very enjoyable. We were in the quieter building above the check-in area, not the building surrounding the pool. There were only three rooms in our wing, we hardly ever saw any of the other guests and felt like we had the place to ourselves. We had a partial ocean view room, the view was OK. As for the room, it was nice but it could have used some spiffing up in some areas, rug, paint, etc. but overall it met our needs. I used the hot tub once, which was nice and the pool looked nice as well but the weather was a bit cool that week for swimming. We ate outside for breakfast there on our last day, it was very good as was the service.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the rooms above the check-in area if you like peace and quiet.
1  Thank Laurie E

Dear Guest:

Thank you for writing this review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I spent four days at the Westin and loved every minute. We had an ocean front balcony, and yes it over looks the marina, but the ocean is just beyond. And, yes there were cruise ships on some days that docked outside our window, but the hotel was very clear about the ships when we booked on the website. The staff was friendly, professional and accommodating. Our room was clean and had the amenities that we have come to expect. The facility was also very quiet and secure. The Bistro at the Westin gave us both excellent food and service. When we return to Key West this will be our home away from home.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for writing this positive review. It is always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

After staying here for a weekend recently, I would rank the Westin Key West as a category 3, with a potential for a 4 solely because it's on the water, at best. Nowhere close to the Category 6 that it's currently placed at. The overall location was nice and convenient, but this property has some major issues.

When I first walked into the lobby, I was hit with a very overpowering smell that was not of the standard Westin scent. Even my wife, who only stays maybe 15-20 nights a year in a hotel pointed out that it didn't seem right. When I proceeded to my building, I also noticed a weird smell when entering the lobby of the building, and a different horrendous right outside my room. The air coming out of the vent directly in front of my room smelled like an old musty basement, and there were obvious signs of water damage on the ceiling in that area. I was relieved to enter my room and find it smelling as I would expect.

A few minutes after reaching my room, I went back to the front desk to ask a few questions, and the staff person I dealt with was nowhere close to nice, and was actually quite snotty.

In my first ten minutes on property, things were obviously not off to a great start.

As the weekend progressed, I started to notice things about my room and the resort that made me feel more and more like I was being ripped off on the amount of points I paid for the room. Some items include:

- The air conditioner sounded like a plane was taking off each time it turned on

- The floor lamp was nearly impossible to turn on with its foot switch being behind a table. Once I was finally able to get to it, I found the light only would flicker, at best, when fumbling with the bulb. Due to the lack out outlets in the room, we needed to use one of the lamp outlets for phone chargers, so there was a major lack of light.

- The crown molding on the ceiling at the balcony door and above the sink wasn't even complete, it simply just stopped and did not even have an end cap

- The fan blades we visibly dirty

- The nightstand had visible dried liquids on it (hopefully not human)

- You couldn't even close the bathroom door without squeezing yourself in next to the toilet

- The view was always blocked during the day by cruise ships (although was quite nice for sunsets and it's disclosed that this is a cruise port, you just don't realize how close they'll really be)

- The bed did not even feature "heavenly bed" items as advertised and actually had Sheraton branded sheets (I was told this is an agreement between ownership and Starwood, but I find it hard to believe they would let a franchise use materials that don't match the brand)

- There was a saved message on the voicemail from the front desk to a previous guest apologizing for all the issues they had with the room and offering to move them to a new room, which made me wonder what I possible missed

- Nearly all the furniture was beat up and previous attempts to hide it were obvious

As for the hotel itself, in addition to the lobby and hallway smells:

- The walkway from the side door to stairwell 1 constantly smelled like rotten food (stairway 1 was the only place that actually seemed to have the standard Westin smell)

- We never really encountered a hotel staff person who seemed to enjoy their job

- The resort fee included poolside treats, which during our trips there, were never offered. Aside from those services, All others are included as platinum benefits

- One of the restaurant managers was cleaning the edges of the table next to us while we were eating lunch on our last day, which was disgusting to see how dirty they really were. On top of that, the chemicals he was spraying were getting all over the silverware on the table - I'm sure that's really safe

- The bartender on duty while we were having lunch was so bored that she was texting nearly the whole time we were there, but was "hiding" it in a check book to make it look like nothing, but I think that made it more obvious

- We spent a day on the beach at sunset key. The fee for the beach pass said it included hammocks (plural), but there was only one, and constantly in use. Additionally it said food and beverage service was a part of the fee, but we were charged a service fee on our bill

I don't want this to seem as if we were nitpicking our trip, as that was not the case, but these items were all beyond obvious to us. Many could have probably been overlooked at a lower category property, but with this being in one of the top tiers, there are expectations of excellence. This hotel just does not seem to care. I'm not sure if it's because the high occupancy makes it not worth it to care since you're making money anyway, or if there are management issues that need to be dealt with. I would certainly think twice about coming back here again.

2  Thank Colin M
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is regrettable to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Prior to your arrival, our Director of Operations gave directive to the Executive Housekeeper to have your room deep cleaned prior to your arrival, which it was. You also received a complimentary upgrade to an ocean front room upon arrival. As a good will gesture, you were also granted 5,000 Starwood points. The hammocks on Sunset Key are throughout the resort and are there for the Sunset Key Cottage guests. Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

overall a nice area, my complaint was feeling like I was mislead. I booked a regular room with ocean front. on check in, clerk Al, said because we were starwood member's we would be upgraded to suite. It was after 4:00 pm and room wasn't ready. We went to bar to watch playoff games. We were placed in room 218. We were told it was ocean front. Strangest ocean front I've paid for. Pretty much looking at shops and marina. From one corner of bedroom and balcony, looking right, there's the ocean. I've booked ocean views with similiar views at a much better price. I feel that this isn't really an ocean view, compared to the other rooms we could see that have a direct view of the sea, instead of marina. room is not fancy, but clean. second bedroom tv doesn't have cable, but too late to call. Mike, our server in bar, was exceptionally good.

Room Tip: If paying for ocean view, check before paying,
1  Thank cheriesl
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is regrettable to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. The designation of ocean front and ocean view steam from their view of the water. Ocean front rooms directly face the water and water can be seen from inside the guestroom. Ocean view rooms have an indirect or partially obstructed view of the water, or water can be seen from the balcony/patio. We feel we are very clear in these designations, as we want our guests to be informed of what they are reserving. Thanks again for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Spent a long weekend in Key West in early October 2013. Stayed at the Westin, and really liked it. Had a ground floor room next to the pool, and it was good. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the main strip of bars in town, and the pool area was nice to lounge at during the day. If I ever go to Key West again, I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for the positive review. We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 18 January 2014

The Westin it is located I the center of all the action. If you are driving (eight hours from Marco Island) and arrive between 1-5pm beware that you will most likely need to navigate through the hundreds of cruise ship passengers traversing Duval street and Mallory square before you get to the hotel. As a frequent New York city driver, it was not a problem for me... We arrived at 4:30 and our room wasn't quite ready, but what's another 10 minutes after eight hours of driving...

The Westin was beautiful, if pricey. We stayed the last two days before New Years. Our room was comfortable and clean. We had a partial view of the ocean which was great. Bistro 245 had an equally great breakfast. We arranged a Lazy Dog Kayak nature adventure with the concierge which worked out great- they picked us up at the hotel and gave us some great tips about seeing Key West. We had a great Mojito on the Westin balcony overlooking the best place to view a sunset on Key West!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is always nice to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!