“Horrible Staf” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Tampa, Florida
“Horrible Staf”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The room was mediocre at best. I have gotten rooms in Orlando for one quarter the price, and a way nicer room. Furthermore, a check in at 4 pm? What hotel in the world outside of Key West has this? That is absolutely unacceptable. On top of this, they charge you a resort fee... even if you don't use anything on the property. Furthermore, when I checked in I was absolutely exhausted. The Westin brand has made it a point in their chain to make sure guests are well taken care of and accounted for. As I was going to check in, a few hours before four, I explained that I had been driving for eight plus hours, and all the young lady at the desk could say was, "well you can park in the lot next to our building and take a nap." My partner came up with the idea of a couples' massage to pass the time, but they were all booked up for the day. We have previously stayed at the Hyatt and could not speak more praise of their amazing service. I ended up calling corporate and getting them to let us in a couple of hours early, even though twenty minutes before the young lady at the desk said "there were no rooms available, they have to be cleaned." They will offer to put you on a list, but don't expect anything from said list, it is a sham. It was absolutely the worst customer service I have ever experienced, and I will never if I have the ability to go back to this hotel or their brand again!

Room Tip: Dont get a room near the pool, choose one in a location closer to the marina.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank padredelosninos
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. 4:00pm check-in is standard in the industry and resort charges are common. Orlando and Key West are different destinations as we are on an island versus a large central Florida city. When making a reservation, there is an option to request an early check-in. While an early check-in is not guaranteed, we do our very best to accommodate our guests requests. Early check-in depends on the level of occupancy the night before and the condition of the room from the previous guest. Your review is important to us as it provides us with valuable information we can review to improve on for the future. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

Marketing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Laurel Springs, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We have stayed here 3 times and for the most part this Key West property is one of the top 3
resorts in Key West. It is well maintained and clean,the beds are heavenly, and it is in the best
location on the water at the end of Duval Street where the sunset celebrations happen. I always
enjoy staying here and after having a serious problem at another top resort, we were gratefully
able to move here at a very good nightly rate. The food in the restaurant Bistro 245 is good and
the drinks are also. Service is very good too, with Dave at the pool bar volunteering to get me iced tea and refills even before the bar opened, thank you to all the nice staff for your kindness and
cheerful service !
OK, here are the few things that bother me: first, the layout of the resort is odd, and I realize that
Westin bought this property from Hilton and can't change the layout, but it's odd nonetheless.
I guess due to limited space, they designed this hotel in 2 different areas which are not near each
other. It feels more like office space than a nicely landscaped resort. The lobby is a small affair, without a restroom,
up near the street and there are rooms in that building, but our ocean view room was about a
fifteen minute walk from the entrance to the hotel, and this can be wearing on a hot day. We were
in the Starwood Preferred Guest section, which had air conditioning in the halls and loud music
playing as you entered. The pool, restaurant, and bar area is way across a square in another building, which means that if you want to enjoy resort type facilities you have to walk across the same public square the cruise ship passengers walk en masse, and enter the other building area
just to swim. Most days, I trudged across the large public square feeling self conscious in my
bathing suit cover-up only to find that the pool was closed due to chemical treatment, etc. ( I
like an early morning swim) later in the day, the pool was too crowded for my tastes. Anyway,
the other negative is that the pool, the pool bar, and the pool restaurant are enclosed in a
central interior area, so you cannot see the ocean, the pier, or the lovely blue water from this
area. So, while my companion enjoyed the seclusion of the pool area, I was always climbing
up to the Sunset Viewing Deck to sit alone during the day so I could see the Marina and boats
and blue water. I feel I can always lay at a plain pool at home, but I can only witness this amazing
vista of the ocean/ Marina/Sunset Key when in Key West. It would be nice if the pool/bar area
looked out over this view. This may seem like I am nit picking, but this is something that makes
this resort feel slightly off to me, just missing being awesome because of the hotel's layout.
Next, giant cruise ships park at the hotel almost every day, blocking the view if you have upgraded
to a water view room. To be fair, this isn't the hotel's fault, and the ships eventually leave by 5PM,
so you do get to see sunset from your balcony. Also, it is interesting to watch all the activity when
these mammoth ships arrive and depart, so it's not a big negative after all, just something to be
aware of. The worst problem is when the 5000 cruise ship passengers depart the ship and invade the dividing courtyard between the 2 resort buildings. These people take over the area and it's best
to just get away until they have gone. One further problem was the bathroom in our upgraded SPG
room was the size of a tiny closet. You literally had to wedge yourself behind the toilet before you could shut the bathroom door, that is how small it was ! Also, the toilet paper roll was on some kind of breakaway holder, so no matter how gently you tried to take TP, the whole roll would
pop off the holder and roll behind the toilet, making for some annoying gymnastics in the middle of the night. ( again, a small thing, but by the 3rd day this was really tiresome)
The staff, as I said, is awesome, cheerful, and helpful. The parking valets were extra sweet, and
always gave us chilled water bottles upon arrival and return which is a great feature as you walk
long hallways to and from your room. One troubling staff related event I witnessed; however,
was when the pool bar (manager ?) who was around 38-40 stood right in front of us while we dined
at the pool bar area and groped the backside of a clearly teen-aged girl who appeared to be
either a guest or young staff member. He looked around to see if anyone was watching and had
the decency to look guilty when he realized we saw this. He was openly fraternizing with 2 very
young girls and it was troubling.
All in all, we like this resort and we know we are getting a consistently quality hotel stay. I would
say that we will probably be back because while not perfect, it's still one of the best hotels around
the Sunset Celebration area. Thank you, Westin Key West !

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the pool complex building, not the lobby building.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the resort location and staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Westin Key West over the weekend with my 86 year-old grandmother. From the welcoming to the "hope to see you agin," we enjoyed every minute of it! The staff at every corner of the hotel/resort was very friendly. The rooms were spacious & very nicely decorated.

Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the positive review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Westin is in a perfect position and is generally well equipped. The overall hotel facilities aren't quite up to the standard you would expect from this price range but you are paying for the ocean front. The pool view rooms are a bit disappointing so we would always pay for a sea view. The arrival of the cruise ships most days did spoil the view but we didn't mind too much as they always left by 5pm. Pool very hot and airless but there us nothing the hotel can do about this. Food OK but nothing special. Bar very average. This sounds pretty negative but as we have been coming back to this hotel for 5 years you can see we still rate it as best in Key West. .

Room Tip: Don't have a room near the laundry.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoy the location of our resort and we appreciate your business. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Love the Westin everything about it! The only thing I can say it would be even better if they put some music upstairs out Bar and some misters! Its very HOT in August that is when we stay there! Great service, Good Food..........

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Slf1014
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Miami, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We spent a long weekend here and had a wonderful time. The oceanfront room was great - not only because of the view but because we could watch the action on Mallory Dock at sunset without having to be in the crowd. The sunset was beautiful. We ordered dinner and breakfast from room service. Delicious and quite reasonable in price. We had a few requests from room service and same were attended to expeditiously and with a friendly attitude.

Highly recommended!

1 Thank Happytraveling055
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and your ocean front room. It's nice to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I knew that I would be paying over the odds for an Oceanfront room at the Westin in Key West. What I did not expect was a small room with a miniscule balcony on which were the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever experienced and which were too low to be able to see the view over the balcony wall for £532 (almost $800) per night. To add insult to injury the chairs in the Sunset Bar, which had a similar wall to the balcony of my room were not only considerably more comfortable but were, more importantly, high enough to be able to sit on and see the view. By not providing similar chairs on the balconies with walls like mine I felt that I was being treated with complete contempt. We noted that the balconies of the rooms on the floor below (reserved for Starwood Preferred Guests, which we were even though we were not offered one) had similarly uncomfortable chairs to us, but only railings and no wall in front of the balcony, making the view visible when sitting down.
The room itself was adequate for a hotel at half the price, the bed was comfortable and the shower excellent. The A/C was the old fashioned wall type which blew hot air onto the balcony, bit it did keep the room cool.
Parking was in a public multi-story car park through which we had to lug out suitcases to the reception, and then across a public square to the two central and only elevators followed by a long trek down endless corridors to the "garret" room. Luckily there was a staircase nearby that we were able to use coming and going without the long trek to the central lifts. None of this seems to me appropriate for such a high priced hotel.
The Sunset Bar was very nice but always packed at sunset, and the Bistro restaurant excellent for breakfast. I would recommend the Hard Rock on Duval Street at least once because of its on the street tables.
Although not anything to do with the Westin I do think that in their advertising they should advise
that particularly during the high season the view from their extremely expensive oceanfront rooms is likely to be obscured between approximately 08.00 and an hour before sunset by a cruise ship taller and longer than the hotel.
Having saved all year for this final trip to the wonderful Florida Keys and decided to splash out on a luxury last few days in Key West the Westin Key West Resort was a complete let down and came away feeling that I had been completely ripped off by them. Were I to do this trip again I would try either the Hyatt next door or the Pier House, both which had better parking, and whilst not such a good view of the sunset, no all day obstruction of the view by cruise ships.

Room Tip: Oceanfront but not on the 3rd floor if you want to SIT and see the view. East end is best as the vie...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank PatnLarry
Dear Guest:

I have read your review and it is regrettable to hear that your stay with us did not meet the expectations other Westin resorts have provided for you. While we are an active cruise ship port (which we state on the front page of our website: westinkeywestresort.com), cruise ships do not dock here every day. The city of Key West has a schedule on their website; our dock is designated as pier (b). The schedule is subject to change therefore, it is not possible to predict/notify/guarantee the presence or absence of a cruise ship. The parking garage is four stories with stairs located on each corner of the garage. In addition, there are two entrances to the hotel on the first, second and third floor of the garage that lead to the elevator which can be taken to the front lobby. Upon check-in, the bellman are readily available to assist with taking luggage to your room.

Your feedback is important to us as it provides us with valuable information we can use to improve on for the future.