“heavenly bed - need i say more?”

Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 3 August 2009

i was shocked when i read the aug 1 review of the concierge at this hotel. we checked into the hotel on july 31 and checked out on aug 2. on aug 1 we also spoke to the concierge and had no problems. we were treated professionally and courteously. i guess we just got the right concierge... in any case, the hotel was fantastic. the location is perfect. so close - walking distance to everything like duval street. u do need a cab to get to higgs beach, which is a couple miles away. there is a sunset celebration held right on the pier behind the hotel. our room overlooked the swimming pool. we had absolutely no noise whatsoever and i am a very light sleeper. i was thinking that the hotel's location, since it's so close to all the action, that loud noise in the hallways or at the pool would be a problem. but we had absolutely no problem whatsoever with noise of any kind. in addition, when i made the reservation it said on the website that the hotel was currently under renovations. i asked at the front desk what the renovations were. the clerk told me very minimal. when we got off on our floor there was a man painting. he was busy painting the entire weekend, but i never smelled anything in my room, and my nose is very sensitive. the only thing i would change about the hotel was the pool. the pool has salt water. the water was so hot! it was actually hotter in the pool than out of the pool. and when we were there it was 94 degrees with who only knows how much humidity - sweltering hot. it would have been nice to cool off in the pool. i could only swim around for a couple of minutes because i actually started sweating in the pool! the pool is 3 feet on the ends and 5'5" in the center. the lounge chairs are thickly padded and are very, very comfortable. there are tons of towels available. we asked what time the pool closed and were told 10pm, but we did see people swimming after 10. but like i said the noise from the pool could not be heard in our room which was directly over our room. the rooms also have very large balconies with two chairs and a table. i cannot say enough positive things about this hotel. i would not hesitate to stay there in one second. the other small thing that i did notice is that drinks, food were not picked up quickly enough at the pool or in the front lobby, but that was a very minor issue. also no flat screen tv in our room but whatever. also in the lobby there is a large plastic bottle with ice cold, freshly squeezed orange juice in the mornings. the food offered in the restaurant is also very good, but of course at resort prices - worth every penny. the free wi fi was also a nice touch. and then of course those heavenly beds. oh my goodness. and the white tea scent throughout the hotel and the rooms. i am heading to nordstrom on wednesday to go and pick out my heavenly bed ensemble. i am so convinced. thank you so very much again westin for a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank californiamom
Write a ReviewReviews (2,386)

Reviewed 1 August 2009

For such a pricey hotel with a nice pool, location, etc., I was blown away by the rude service of the concierge. We checked in and our room was not ready. No biggie. But the concierge snapped at us that we were 20 minutes early and that the room was guaranteed at 4pm. I tried to stay in a cheerful mood - we were in Key West, after all, but when the room wasn't ready at 4:15 and I half playfully pointed out that the the guarantee the (very young, maybe 20 year old) concierge had used against me almost 30 minutes prior wasn't good for that much, he flipped out and said he was doing everything he could and why don't I speak to a manager, etc. I was shocked by his terrible attitude and behavior. I was spending over $250 a night for this hotel (more than I paid for the Loews in Miami Beach which I would give 10 stars to, if that were possible; the service was impeccable) and I was being chided and snapped at about room readiness. It colored our whole stay there, since we got off on such a bad foot. A manager did give us a $40 certificate ($40, huh? Doesn't go far in Key West; that's almost laughable - except it gets better....) that could be used for breakfast only. We tried to cash it in the next morning but we had missed breakfast. The amiable waitress let us use it for lunch but here's the catch - if the lunch cost $25, and the certificate is worth $40? You lose the balance. So that certificate was a joke. It's really too bad because this hotel is in a nice location and has nice rooms, etc. but it feels very much like a chain and the services are provided with a shrug - it's not personal and they do not go the extra mile - BY FAR. Another concierge was also rude and indifferent to us when we asked a question about where to find something in town. Two thumbs down. I will never stay there again and I seriously would save your money if I were you.

1  Thank julie_LA
Reviewed 30 July 2009

My husband and I and our two young sons, just returned from a 4 night stay at the Westin Key West. My husband is a Starwood member and we used his points to stay for free two of the nights. When we arrived after a long day (flight from NJ then drove down to Key West from Ft. Lauderdale airport), we were greeted by Jeff at the front desk, who was extremely courteous and polite. We initially booked a pool view room and were upgraded to a two bedroom oceanfront suite with the most magnificent view of the sunsets every night.

This hotel is perfect. The location is within walking distance to all of the attractions including Mallory Square, Duval Street, all the shops and the Conch train. On our first morning there we had a great breakfast at the hotel restaurant, but had most of our other meals in town at different locations (we like to try it all). The hotel room service was extremely well priced and the children's portions were very generous and $4 for chicken fingers was the best that I have ever seen. There is a large variety and all children's entrees were between $3-4 each (it was great). The internet service is wireless and free, yes, I said free. The parking was $20-22 a day depending on valet or not.

Key West is great! Our first trip here 13 years ago (before we had children), we stayed at the Casa Marina, but wanted to stay within walking distance to town so we chose the Westin. The Westin rooms were very clean and the grounds were beautiful and very serene to walk around and look at the boats and the ocean. The only thing that I would like to note is the cruise ships. Our oceanfront suite did have a view two of our four days of the large cruise ships that dock in front of the hotel. I knew about this ahead of time so we were prepared, but these ships are very large and the view is obstructed while they are in port. The good news is that the one ship left by 2pm and the other by 5pm, so they don't ever get in the way of the sunset. The cruiseship passengers pass by the hotel on their way to and from town and some were a bit rowdy, but they got back on their ship and went to their next destination. My husband and two sons enjoyed the hotel pool. It was not extremely crowded and had nice shade from all of the surrounding palm trees. July in Key West is extremely hot and humid, so be prepared to perspire when outside, or visit in a cooler month (we'll try that next time as the heat was pretty extreme-even the Today show when filming there during our stay said the heat index is 105 with temp and humidity. Plenty of air conditioned shops, restaurants, and the hotel.

While in town check out Margarittaville, Sloppy Joes and Red Fish Blue Fish restaurant. Have ice cream and watch the sunset while walking around Mallory Square. There is a fishing village with little shops that has great seafood restaurants and manatee sightings. My son loved the Ron Jon surfshop too. Parking around Ernest Hemingway's house can be a challenge to find, but is doable. There are great supermarkets like Winn Dixie and Publix, that sell bottled water and all other necessities for great prices. Great town, great shopping and dining. The Westin and their staff were fantastic! Will definetely return.

1  Thank Greycorgi
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Stayed 3 nights in a 2 bedroom suite, which was gorgeous. The bathrooms were large, sparkling clean, and the 'heavenly' beds were so comfortable I had my best night's sleep of any hotel stay (or was I just so tired from all the partying?) This hotel is versatile because it could have been a quiet, relaxing vacation because they emphasize this mood, but for me it was 'party in Key West' and we made the best of our time. Our view was of the small marina which gave us beautiful sights of the Gulf of Mexico as it begins to meet the Atlantic. We woke to a cruise ship docked on Friday and also on Sunday, so those two days were busier than the others at the marina. The hotel is perfectly located at the end of Green Street and just one short block from Duval where all the action is. I'm sort of the independent type so I didn't have much interaction with the hotel staff, but the front desk, valets and security person I met were helpful and pleasant. Breakfast at their restaurant was just right (I'm picky about temperature and flavor!)... and I never saw the pool because I was too interested in checking out the town, which was a whole lotta fun. Hope this review helps, the Westin will be my only choice in future visits.

1  Thank tectonicgirlWPB
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Stayed here for a much needed getaway and were extremely satisfied. We have stayed on the other end of the island several times and wanted to treat ourselves to something more upscale and closer to Mallory Square. It was everything we hoped for. Rooms are newly re-done, heavenly beds are so comfortable. The resort including the walkway around the outside is kept in pristine condition.

We got a great rate through one of Westin's promotions, so we splurged for an ocean view room. It overlooked the marina and the gulf. We sat on the balcony and watched all kinds of boats coming and going, including the cruise ships. The ships were gone by 3:00 most days. We were only a short walk from the sunset celebration and watched the sunset from the sunset deck every night.

The concierge desk was staffed all day with a very knowledgeable, friendly person - a different one each day we were there. They were great with recommendations for activities, restaurants, directions - anything anyone wanted to know about the island. We had lunch at Latitudes, the restaurant on Sunset Key, and it was a wonderful experience, dining on the beach near the water. The food and the service were excellent.

Now we are spoiled and won't want to stay anywhere else. I can only hope that when we are ready to go back to Key West, that they will have another great rate promotion!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2009

We spent 4 nights here in June on vacation. The location is the best in Key West and the best place to watch the sunset. We loved waking up to see the cruise ships come in and the view on our Marina side was fabulous.

You can easily walk to Duval Street and all locations in Key West. Here's a tip. Ditch the car and rent a moped. It's the easiest way to get around.

The hotel staff is great and the rooms, recently remodeled are fantastic. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We booked an Ocean View room, the Ocean View rooms at this resort are based on whether or not a cuise ship is in port. The room was really a view of a cruise ship with periodic views of the ocean.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family