“Mixed feeling, but would go back”

The Southernmost House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Columbus
“Mixed feeling, but would go back”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I came here to celebrate our anniversary. We both really loved this property. There were so many great things about it, but I've listed what I saw as pros and cons and you can decide for yourself. Starting with cons, but that doesn't mean they outweighed the pros.

Cons
-Many of the reviews mention getting put in the adjoining property instead of the main house. So, I called to make sure the room I was reserving was in the main house. Given it was our anniversary and I wanted this to be special, I even opted to pay extra for a room with a balcony and ocean view. I was told there was only one room with a balcony and ocean view and that it was in the main house. So I went for it. When I got there, I was put in the adjoining property. I was extremely disappointed. I am usually a go-with-the-flow kind of person, but this really got to me. The room did have a balcony and ocean view, but it looked over electrical lines and the the top of a restaurant.
-Since my room looked over the top of a restaurant, sitting on the balcony meant smelling the exhaust fans (think hamburgers, fried fish, grease) and not being able to hear the ocean because of the exhaust fans
-The house we were in was really loud. Every time another guest came in, the front door would slam really loudly. At first we thought someone was just being loud, but it happened every time. Other guest room doors were also really loud. Made it hard to take a nap or sleep in
-WIFI - non existent in the adjoining house. We were given passwords for the hotel next door but the signal was pretty weak. They need a router in that house. We were told that wifi on the island is spotty, but I didn't have a problem in other parts of the island using various restaurants' wifi.
-Not sure the floors in the bathroom were all that clean. I laid a towel down for a bathmat and when I picked it up, the bottom was black in places. Now, the tiles do seem to be historic, so I understand they look worn and scuffed, all a part of the historic charm - just not sure they were clean
-Some of the furniture could be replaced or repaired. The cabinet that held the minifridge didn't close so when we walked across the room the doors moved and it got noisy. The balcony furniture was a little shabby, but at least there was a place to sit

Pros
-THE POOL. It really can't get better than this. Beautiful view, warm water, plenty of places to sit in the sun or shade. On certain days, my husband and I were often the only ones in or around the pool. They did sell some day passes at least one day when we were there, but not a lot, so there were still lounge chairs available for guests
-The staff. Everyone who worked at the front desk was warm and friendly. Gio even let us check in early which I really appreciated (I'm sure this just depends on whether or not there is a room available)
-Breakfast was nice. Fruit, breads, pastries, bagels, cereal, mini quiche, hard boiled eggs, OJ, milk, coffee
-This place is full of historic charm and pretty little details around every corner
- The location is perfect for me. On the ocean, so great breezes when the rest of the island feels like a sauna. Close to Duval but not in the middle of the craziness (although walking distance when you do feel like getting crazy)
- The AC worked really well in the room. This was awesome when I needed a break from the heat and humidity.
- This place also has a relaxed vibe. The staff are all very professional but not the least bit pretentious. I really appreciate that :)

Given all of this, I would stay here again. I would just not pay for an upgraded room - it wasn't worth it and left me feeling pretty disappointed for much of my trip.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade because you may end up paying more and not get a room in the main house (meaning t...
2 Thank ColumbusDB
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Columbus DM,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you were able to relax and enjoy your vacation with us. There is no better way to relax then to sit by our beautiful infinity pool right on the ocean. I appreciate your comments on some of the areas we should be aware of and I look forward to having you back so that you may be able to experience some of our upgrades with the internet and details around the house. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I would love to welcome you back to visit us in the near future!

Innkeeper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed 3 June 2014

A fabulous place to stay and a true Key West treasure! My wife and I just returned from a wonderful honeymoon at the Southernmost House and I am ready to visit again! The location is truly the best that Key West has to offer as the house is situated both oceanfront and at the end of the famous, maybe infamous Duvall street, where everything goes down in Key West. I assure you this is THE place to stay on the island. The rooms are fabulous and the pool and bar area around back, nestled neatly beneath beautiful palm trees, are even better! Apparently the guy who lived in the house back in the day was quite the "Gatsby" and yes, this was his party pad. A truly impressive set up! We stayed in room 101, which is the cabana by the pool. This room really gives you a feel like you have your own ocean side condo in Key West and is dangerously romantic! The crashing waves can even be heard from the bed; it is literally just FEET from the ocean. We will not stay anywhere else when we visit Key West, the Southernmost House is the spot!

Room Tip: The poolside cabana is very romantic.
Dear Houston H,

It was such a pleasure getting to know you and your wife during your stay. I am so pleased to hear that you had such a great time during your honeymoon and can't wait to welcome you back "home" during your next visit. We will be sure to help set up some more fun activities in addition to all that relaxation time. See you in near future!

Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This place is tough to beat in Key West. This was my second trip to Key West and my fist stay on Duval Street. After wandering around town for a couple days and evaluating my other options, I can say that this was a pretty darn good choice. Again, location is paramount. The history of the property is impressive. There are few places you will ever stay that could match this place from a historical perspective. Five Presidents and the King of Spain have been hosted here. Having written that, it also has not been updated since Jimmy Carter was there...well...the bathrooms were a little updated. The rooms themselves were just okay, and smelled musty. Despite that, they were roomy which is hard to say about most other choices in town. The public areas of the House were historical. The pool area was very relaxing, quiet and with a phenomenal view. A bartender was on staff each afternoon at the pool. The Breakfast was average, but again the porch was a very relaxing place to start your morning. In conclusion, very nice place relative to other choices with superior location, pool area and Historical significance. I would stay here again. Also, I got the impression that many people come back and stay here on an annual basis.

Room Tip: Stayed on the second floor away from the Ocean to save a couple bucks. I think it was well worth it...
1 Thank InspectorWang
Dear Aaron,

I am so pleased you had such a wonderful time during your stay. The history and location are incredible attributes that set our property aside from the other properties on the island. I hope you were able to spend some time by our beautiful pool as well. I appreciate your comments and look forward to having you back in the future.

Englewood, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here the week of our wedding April 2014. I had a minor problem with housekeeping on one day and they fixed it promptly. And we found a nice surprise in our room when we returned. We couldn't have picked a better place to stay for our special time.

Room Tip: Room 301, the tower was beautiful with a Jacuzzi and a great view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Leeni2014,

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy that we were able to resolve the minor housekeeping issues during your stay. I look forward to having you back with us in the future for some sun and fun!

chicago illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We had the pleasure of staying here for four nights. We stayed in one of there most requested rooms, 201. I know a lot of reviewers have complained about booking a certain room only to arrive to be disappointed by not getting what they wanted, here's what I did to book room 201. First off I called and actually spoke to someone vs booking online. I was also fortunate enough to find the availability of the hotel completely open when I booked. I believe this was the biggest reason I was able to get the room I wanted. I also followed up every time I made a payment toward my stay and was always able to confirm my location.
The location I was hesitant about initially because I really thought I'd rather be closer to Mallory square. The distance from end to end of duval street in 1 mile and can honestly say it wasn't bad of a walk at all. There are bike rentals, scooters electric cars and even bike taxis (bike with carriages) available for a small fee to get you from end to end if you don't feel like walking.
The landscape and layout of the S.M.H. Is a postcard! It's absolutely beautiful. From the pool and grounds with hammocks attached to the palm trees-it's amazing! The other true asset to the hotel is Devin the bartender. She has an amazing personality that's infectious and always has a smile to match her impeccable service! On behalf of Dan and Tracey from Chicago we say Thanks again Devin for making our 14 year anniversary so special!
I would also like to briefly touch on the room comparison specifically room 201 vs 101 cabana. As much as I enjoyed the balcony of room 201 I thought the room itself was small where as the layout of the cabana and it's close proximity to the ocean was more appealing.
My wife and I got married in key west and will always return and when we do we will stay at The Southernmost House!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drumdan2002
Dear drumdan2002,

I am so happy to hear that you're stay with us was so wonderful. 201 is a fantastic room and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time there. We value your feedback on the property and look forward to your next trip back to see us. Please feel free to reach out to me for assistance in any future bookings.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Being a Miami native I've been to Key West countless times. This time around I stayed that the Southernmost House. I love this property because it's what Key West is truly made of. It gives you the "Key West Experience" The rooms are clean and have traditional Key West decor. The Keys are really not known for their beaches however, Southernmost House has a beach right behind it. So that was great! The hotel also was walking distance to scooter rentals, jet ski rentals, and away from the smelly streets of Duval. However, just a short bike ride to the center of Duval (Sloppy Joes, Whistle Bar etc.) I would highly recommend this hotel if you are thinking of staying in Key West.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hi Jose,

I appreciate your wonderful comments regarding your last stay with the Southernmost House. We do pride ourselves on being able to capture that unique, historic feel that Key West has to offer. Please let me know if I can assist you with any future reservations. We look forward to having you back at the property soon.

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed at the Southernmost House again it has gotten even better the staff was pleasant knowledgeable and personable. They made our stay worth coming back again this year. We would like to thank the Innkeeper for her enthusiasm and Ted for being there to photo us at the start of every night!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear John,

I am so pleased that you had a great time during you last visit in October. We have a great staff on property so thank you for recognizing them. I look forward to seeing you in the future.