“Fantastic guesthouse”

Puteaux, France
“Fantastic guesthouse”
Reviewed 20 July 2007

location is perfect
owners are so nice. The lady is french, and her husband american.

rooms are charming
Great place to stay in Key west
good breakfast

• Liked — location, charming house, nice owners
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank FrenchTrotteuse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 May 2006

We had a really hard time finding a hotel, as we were late in looking for one (we called the same day), they were really nice and gave us a big discount on their king-size bedroom... when we asked if we could stay a second night, they arranged something with other guests, so that we didn't have to look somewhere else for a hotelroom. The woman at the reception was really helpful, as we arrived after 10 p.m., she just put our keys in an envelope and we could arrive whenever we wanted. The breakfast was really good, freshly baked croissants, muffins, cereals, tea, coffee, orange juice and eggs. It was on the top of the house, so you could sit outside and have your breakfast, awesome !
The woman also gave us some good hints about parking (the meters are just too expensive, 25cents for 10minutes...), so try to park on Elizabeth St. , normally there you can park for free! The Guesthouse is just off Duval Street, so you're nearby the shops and the restaurants, and still it's not too noisy... although we had some drunk guys who slept on the porch, so that was a little annoying... (but normal for Key West unfortunately) if you're a light sleeper just ask for a room in the back, which we had the second night, it was a little bit smaller (but still big) and there was no noise at all... the rooms are all redone, they have a fridge, a tv, a little couch and a bed, which was really comfortable!

I ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND this hotel, it was a great stay, just don't forget that it is a B&B and not a Sheraton-Hotel

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank Chiquita50
Sanford, Maine
Reviewed 27 April 2006

My fiance and I went to Key West this past weekend, our first time there.
We had some confusion with reservations when his sister booked us at L'Habitation, a B&B located on Eaton Street, without us knowing. We had already booked ourselves at the Shearaton Suites, with another couple. When we called the owner of L'Habitation, Stewart, to explain the issue he was very upset with us. Rather than being understanding and accomodating, as you would expect in the hospitality industry, he maintained an attitude and told us to go ahead and stay at the Sheraton, but we would still be charged for the entire stay and we may has well bring our sister and mother with us to stay there.

We did not want to cause more issues for his sister, so we decided to stay there despite the confusion and rudeness... after all, it's just a place to lay our heads and we hoped for a better experience when we actually arrived there.

When we arrived, Steward did not offer to help us with our luggage. The room, 17, was as bare as you could get - not one photo or mirror on the walls and no table space for your personal items. The thing that really took the cake: the shower curtain was stained with what looked like blood stains and shredded at the bottom. The chambermaid insisted that it wasn't a blood stain, because the owner would be very particular about that. The point is: it was STAINED, if they are that particular, they would not skimp on replacing a $2 shower curtain!!!! Horrible, Horrible, Horrible.

Their "wonderful continental breakfast" didn't start until 9 am, and consisted of cereal, coffee and croissants. When another guest asked where the coffee was, Stewart abruptly pointed down the hallway as though the guest should have known where it was.

Not sure when the offices are actually staffed there - there was never anyone around when we wanted to ask for information about the local area.

Despite the stay at L'Habitation, we loved Key West and we are looking forward to going back and staying somewhere the guests are appreciated.

We will NOT recommend L'Habitation to anyone.

6 Thank sun4shore
Lhab, Owner at L'Habitation, responded to this review, 5 August 2010
For 5 yrs. now, I have let my other reviews speak for themselves. I feel it is time to respond to this persons review. She had reserved multiple rooms for multiple days, 20% of my inventory of rooms, well in advance. We were fully booked for that time period and had turned down many requests for rooms at that time. She called on the day of arrival to cancel. Our cancellation policy is clearly stated on her confirmation, had she canceled appropriately, there would have been a $25 cancel feeonly. We are a small family owned/operated guesthouse, not a national chain with multiple outlets and hundreds of rooms. The hotel she wanted to stay with her family was 5 miles from downtown Key West, we are 1/2 block away from this part og Key West. I believe this type of traveler should stay at a national chain with all the amenities they offer, ie: concierge service, bell desk, and 24hr front desk. We are not this type of hotel, and glad to be what we are. Again, I let the other 25 reviews of L'habitation Guesthouse speak for us. We have recently up-graded all of our rooms, and have held prices the same for 3 yrs. now. I guess it is impossible to please, although we try very hard to do this. all the people all the time.
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed 31 March 2006

I must admit I was somewhat unsure of what to expect from an unknown Bed and Breakfast on my visit to Key West, especially since I was staying for over a week. However, I was pleasantly surprised during my stay. Granted my room was small but as a single traveler it was more than adequate. At $119.00 per night it was an unbelievable bargain considering the Old Town location between Duval and Whitehead Streets and only four blocks from Mallory Square and within walking distance of the all the major hotspots! The owners, Helena and Stuart, made me feel like an old friend and always had time to stop and chat. And what can I say about the housekeeper and parttime manager Lucia. She is so pleasant I have never seen someone smile as much as she did.

The breakfast time is so great, not so much for the food (which was adequate), but for the opportunity to chat with fellow travelers. In the week I was there I met a couple from Canada, two couples from France, a couple that had just moved to the US from Russia,a mother and daughter from London England and other assorted US residents. Don't just eat and run, you will miss a great opportunity to "network" with other travelers and discuss what to see and do in Key West.

Just one note of warning make your reservations early, most of the people who stay at L'Habitation are return visitors, I know I'll be!!

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank PT4485
CT
Reviewed 8 March 2006

We stayed at L'habitacion. It's on Eaton Street (which is the main road to/from the airport), and it's just a 1/2 block off of Duval. It's about a five minute walk from Mallory Square, and about a 10 minute walk to the Southernmost Point. It's "in the middle of it all" but without the commotion of being RIGHT on Duval Street and in a nice neighborhood.
No pool. Our room, #17, was $119 per night. A BARGAIN FOR THE AREA! It was VERY small with a queen size bed. The bathroom was a good size w/ plenty of room for your stuff, and the shower pressure was great (this matters to me!). PRIVATE ENTRANCE - which was very fun. It was not fancy, but it was very clean. We were only there to sleep, shower and get ready to head out! We had a "private" porch in back that we shared with one other room - room #18 (also a private entrance - meaning you don't have to go in the main house) - #18 looked like a nice room - hardwood floors, big couch, coffee table, and room to walk around. There are lots of windows and there are blinds that make it almost too easy to see into the rooms. But alas, it's Key West - so nobody cares! Also, the front porch is a great place to sit and relax.
No real parking (I guess there is free parking 2 blocks away). Continental breakfast included consisted of OJ, hard-boiled eggs, Croissants, cereal, french bread, fruit, and coffee.
It was perfect for 3 nights. Staying longer? Get a place w/ a pool since the beach is so far away. We were with a group, so we had even less "down time," so we didn't miss the pool. Marrero's, behind L'habitation, has a pool (CLOTHING OPTIONAL), and some friends stayed there and liked it.

6 Thank chriswifect