Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.

“Excellent location and service - we can't wait to return”

Santa Maria Suites Hotel
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 19 December 2009

We went to Key West for our anniversary and stayed at Santa Maria Suites for a week. The location was perfect for our lifestyle - a block from the QUIET end of Duval Street. It's a mile (easy walk or taxi) from the party-party (north) end of Duval Street. The hotel has a beautiful courtyard with pool and pool concierge where we enjoyed relaxing - the concierge provides towels, water, smoothies, friendly travel/restaurant advice, etc. I felt like Lindsey and Derek were old friends by the time we left. The front desk also assisted in making dinner reservations and booked us on a catamaran trip.

The suite we stayed in (33) was essentially a very narrow town house. Downstairs was a narrow living room with huge flat screen TV, a half bathroom, stack laundry, and a kitchen with big counter and bar stools. Upstairs were two bedrooms, each with its own full bathroom. Other noteworthy amenities included free parking (rare in Key West since real estate is at a premium), and a small exercise room. Everything was newly renovated and top of the line. We could not have been more comfortable here, were sad to have to leave, and definitely will return.

Some "constructive criticism" I'd like to pass to the hotel, since I believe as wonderful as any place is, there's always room for improvement:
1) Since everything at Santa Maria Suites is first class, please consider replacing the Maxwell House coffee you put in the kitchens. It is awful. (On the positive side, since the coffee provided was so bad, it motivated me to go across the street to the little Cuban take out for their most excellent Cafe con Leche.)
2) Please consider putting bathrobes in your suites, as many luxury hotels do.
3) Is there anyway to spray for or control the mosquitos in the courtyard? I was bitten many times, especially if I was outside at dusk.

Overall, these are extremely minor issues, and we love the Suites. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

There are newer reviews for Santa Maria Suites Hotel

Reviewed 14 December 2009

We just completed a mini-getaway to Key West where we stayed at the Santa Maria Suites. We stayed in a first floor pool-view suite, which was breathtaking. It is furnished with the most up-to-date applicances and furnishings. The staff was friendly yet unintrusive. I have read some reviews about the location but we felt the location was perfect for relaxing AFTER experiencing Key West. Being from Miami, we drove down so we didn't have the issues that some people had with getting to Duval Street.

We are definately going back, it was a wonderful experience.

Reviewed 13 December 2009

I booked to stay 7 nights but only stayed 1!
Out suite was ok on arrival - clean and tidy with Ikea like furniture. The bathrooms were nice but the bedrooms a bit tiny with not much room to walk around the beds. The kitchen was nice with lovely cooker, fridge and freezer but it did partly fllood after it rained on the first night.
Our suite's back balcony looked out over car park and the front one looked on to the blank wall of another apartment, not great for $300 a night and having booked months in advance.

Although we had booked for 7 nights we moved after the first night because one of the air con fans outside the apartment was very rattly. The noise seemed to vibrate through the apartment making it very difficult to sleep. I asked the reception to look at the fan or move us, but they didnt offer us anything. I think that the buildings themselves are poorly built as the noise of doors banging in other apartments also seemed to carry very easily. I was told the next day that another room was available, but we decided to move as i was so disappointed with the quality, it wasnt worth the $300 a night.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VelvetElf
Reviewed 10 December 2009

We enjoyed our visit to the Santa Maria Suites in Key West. Property is one block from Duval Street, but at one end and not in the heart of the tourist action. We did not mind being a little bit away from the action. It is near to the Southernmost Hotel and the Reach Resort. It is not on the water; the only water you will see is the hotel pool. However, the beach is only a block away. You are able to make use of the lovely beach at the Southernmost hotel. You must bring your room key to show them.
We had a 2-bedroom bi-level suite, The kitchen and bathrooms were lovely, with high end appliances and fixtures. Breakfast is not provided, but you are given muffins, coffee and ice cream treats to tide you over. There are 3 supermakets in the business area of town: Publix, Winn Dixie and Albertsons. If you have a car, you can easily stop there at the begiinng of your stay to obtain provisions. (I prefer Publix.)
Our room was very clean and well maintained by housekeeping staff. All staff at hotel were very pleasant.
Parking is free.
The only negative thing is that walls are thin, and if your neighbors wake up early, so will you.The same hard surface floors and countertops that contribute to the cleanliness of the facility also make it a bit noisier than the average hotel.
Would I stay here again? Yes. Would I recommend it to a friend? Absolutely.

Reviewed 7 December 2009

The positive reviews are spot on! This place is furnished and decorated in with top-of-the-line furniture, appliances and fixtures. I wanted to move in! I felt like I was in a house in the Hamptons! I even got some ideas on how to renovate MY house! I paid for a one-bedroom suite (they're all two bedrooms. One just gets locked) but the other bedroom was left open anyway. Amenities included marble counter tops, dual drawer Sub-Zero below-counter fridge and freezer, oven, range, dishwasher, food processor...in short, a fully stocked modern kitchen. There was a flat screen tv in every room. The living room TV had a dvd player and a/v inputs built into the wood console. Dual sink, dual overhead shower in the en-suite master bathroom. All the rooms face the pool. Parking at the property is ample and free. Check-in is a breeze. Smoothies and bottled water are provided during the day and are free as are the daily complimentary muffins, coffee and tea in your room. I almost didn't want to leave this little property!

Some people say it's a bit out of the way, but I really wouldn't want to stay in the seedy, noisy dives in town anyway. And trust me, rent a car! I paid 12.95/day which is less than a scooter and much more comfortable and safe!

Finally, remember that key West is very honky tonk. There is no glitz or glam. Ladies, leave your baubles at home!

Reviewed 2 December 2009

We (me and my 14 year old daughter) stayed at Santa Maria Suites 11-25-2009 until 11-26-2009. It was wonderful!! I was impressed at how clean everything was. Everynight, someone came in a turned down our beds and left candy on our pillows and fresh muffins in the kitchen, ice cream in the freezer.
I did have to visit the office to have a item restocked (we used too much) not because it was not there. The person who brought it was waiting at the door when I got back.
Large rooms!!! Will be there as soon as possible!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2009

Beautiful hotel Large rooms with free car parking. Nice pool area free towels and soft drinks during the day. At one end of Duval street near the southern most point in America
The drive from Miami South Beach was over 5 hours as so many miles are driven at the 45 mph speed limit. There is little view on the drive south or north, so stay 2 nights in Key west. Try eating at Hard Rock

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple