“Great Propery & Location”

Santa Maria Suites Hotel
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 25 February 2010

The Santa Maria Suites is the perfect location, off the beaten path from the craziness of Duval Street, but close enough to bike & walk to all of the attractions. We didnt utlize many of the other facilities, but the front desk was a great help with setting up a half day catamaran sail.

The bi-level suites are great with a, very clean, well appointed kitchen, washer & dryer, living area, 3 balconies - wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 February 2010

My spouse, teenage children and I stayed at the Santa Maria Suites from 2/14/10 to 2/19/10. Our suite was clean and functional. Stephanie, Ken and Derek were all very helpful in assisting us with our daily excursions as well as offering some great ideas. We enjoyed the turndown service each night with chocolates, muffins and ice cream. The weather was unseasonably cold and limited some of the activities we had planned so I would like to visit again with warmer weather. I would recommend the Santa Maria Suites and would return here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I must let you know that Ken, Stef and Derek have an optimistic, energetic and winning attitude in all they do! Their enthusiasm for their career choice is infectious and I will always remember our outstanding visit because of them! They fill a very important and necessary role for the Santa Maria Suites! Their presence should be valued highly because they are the most outstanding young adults I've encountered in a while!
It is with great pleasure that I write this recommendation review for them!!
Please make sure to share this with them!
Maxine Snyder

Reviewed 22 February 2010

We stopped here by chance and from our first encounter with the young people running the hotel we were impressed. Ken, who checked us in, Derek and Steff, who worked around the pool, and everyone we encountered went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. We asked for suggestions for dinner and nightlife and enjoyed every recommendation. While we were quite a bit older than the "kids" who gave us the advice, yet they hit a "home run" on every recommendation.

The facilities were fantastic. Very modern, clean, and spacious. The courtyard was an oasis of tranquility, sun, and leisure, while just outside was all the fun of Key West. We had our bicycles with us, which made the transit up Duval to the "crazy end" a pleasant bit of exercise to catch sunset on Mallory followed by dinner and an evening of Key West's pleasures.

We are newly retired and will return to Key West and Santa Maria again next winter. A highlight of our first retirement trip to Fla.

Reviewed 19 February 2010

Stayed for two nights with my wife and some friends.
Thoroughly enjoyed the ambience and the service, pity about the unseasonal weather.
Would like to return one day if the opportunity arises
Wonderful spot to stay in Key West, rather pricey but worth every penny.
Shame we didn't get our 'turn down ' chocs on the pillows!
A great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2010

We planned our first ever trip to Key West, Florida to celebrate Valentine's day and were hoping to relax, learn about this wonderful southernmost tip of continental United States. We selected Santa Maria for its location, a conversation with the hotel and based on the amenities we were looking for. What a disappointment!! We were going to arrive late, so we not only confirmed our reservation, we kept the desk night manager informed of our progress during our drive so that we could ensure someone will be there to check us in. The check-in process was adequate and OK. Not particularly at par with what you would expect at a member hotel of Small Luxury Hotel collection of places around the world. In fact inexpensive hotel chains do a better and a more friendly job. We had already been charged one night's deposit on my partner's credit card. At check-in, I specifically mentioned that the rest of the charges were to be settled on my card, which I presented, and an imprint was taken. No mention was made of the fact that the unit we were assigned had a completely non-functioning, broken dishwasher, which we had to discover when went to use it, and in the process we discovered that it was filthy and dirty in addition to completely inoperable. Additionally, there was odious odor and there were small insects crawling on the kitchen counter. There was no one to call as they leave for the night (!) with an ability to leave a voice mail! We were hoping they would move us to another unit so we did not have to pack/unpack the next day or fix the dishwasher. We left a message. The next morning, I called them. A very rude and a curt young lady answered and when I asked if they had gotten my message, she apparently had no clue about what I was talking about. She lectured me that they have someone investigating and that it was still early in the morning for them to have gotten back to us. This is not true since I was calling around 8 30 AM and they claim to have someone come in the morning at 6 AM. I inquired what it is that they were investigating because someone obviously should have known that the dishwasher was not working, if their housekeeping staff had cleaned the unit before we arrived. There were curt answers, and a vague comment about if we have another room we will get back to you, and that, if not, just leave the dishes dirty, and the cleaning staff will clean it the NEXT day!! There are not enough dishes, utensils or other cutlery for even two people to have more than two meals a day without cleaning the dishes!! I insisted that the desk person tell me whether they already knew ahead of our checking in that the dishwasher was broken. She would not answer and told me if I had any more problems, I could talk to the general manager. I said I want to be connected. The gentleman was initially not very sympathetic but as the conversation progressed, he volunteered that there is no chance of fixing the dishwater during our stay as it was waiting for a part that had been ordered!! At the time of the check-in, this was not mentioned, when I called next morning, the woman at the desk, brusquely told me they were investigating, and yet, through irritated persistence, I finally discover they knew all along that the dishwasher had not functioned for at least some time! The matter of insects crawling and filthy dishwasher (it not working is one thing, it being filthy takes some work!) were not addressed but I was told they will move our refrigerated food, and our personal belongings to another unit at some point in the day. Imagine! Someone moving your food! We moved most of our stuff ourselves although a gentleman was there to help us if we needed it! Some luxury hotel!! They also offered half of one day's worth of credit. We had wasted a lot of time already and wanted to get on with our stay so I simply accepted the situation.

To add insult to injury, they charged me and my partner separately on two different credit cards, for two units: the one we were in the first night, and also for the second unit to which we were moved on day 2! No receipt, and this despite my specific request to charge only one card and only one room. I was told that is exactly what would happen. We only discovered that we had been overcharged almost $732 dollars extra because my partner and I are diligent about checking our credit card charges before even the regular bill arrives! She was hesitant even to bring it up to me but thought the better of it to make sure that we were both not charged, since I had told her that I had settled thebill at checkout with my credit card. How embarrassing that she had to ask me if I was charged too! This was a Valentine's day celebration!! I called last night, with my partner and I on the phone together. They do not have access to billing data and would I please call in the morning when the people who handle the accounting are available to fix this small 'faux pas!' I let the gentleman know in no uncertain terms that I expect him to take care of it, I am not going to keep calling them and in these economic times or in any other times, to politely but infuriatingly to say to a customer that $732 erroneous double charge is a small faux pas really takes the cake. We are waiting for them to correct the error, and as of 9 30 AM, no calls, no e mails yet! There are other properties in Key West we would rather have been, paid a lot less, and accepted lesser amenities than to stay at a Small Luxury Hotel collection member, waste our time getting people to own up to known defects in the promised amenities, and be double charged, and now have to waste more time waiting for them to reverse the erroneous charges. I not only do not recommend this property, I suggest you avoid it entirely. A very disappointing experience, and gestures such as half of one day's rental and a fruit basket do not adequately give us our wasted time back! I would rather have paid full price as we were intending to all along and the establishment be forthright, efficient and diligent in matters of service and accounting process. Not my experience at all at Santa Maria and certainly not my experience at any of the world-wide members of Small Luxury Collection of hotels where I have stayed over the past 40 years!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Santani
SantaMariaGM, General Manager at Santa Maria Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2010

Dear Trip Advisor Readers and Guests,

Please allow me to apologize for this posted review. I would invite you to review our other 150 plus comments and form your own opinion of our property, service and location.

We would never directly comment on the details of a guest’s review but I can assure you that we resolve issues professionally, expeditiously and to the benefit of our guest.

Come visit us at the Santa Maria Suites at your next visit to Key West and judge for your self...or even better ...stay with us.

Please contact me at gm@santamariasuites.com for any additional comments or questions.

Thank you.

Steve Mungall

Santa Maria Suites

Reviewed 14 February 2010

Stayed a couple of nights including our wedding anniversary and couldn't have been happier. Wonderful apartment, lovely setting, helpful friendly staff and in a quiet location. We will definitely be back.