“My favorite part of my Key West trip! A+ for animal people.”

Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden
Ranked #49 of 175 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: OPEN RAIN OR SHINE Come have fun with talking, laughing and dancing parrots. Artist and environmental activist Nancy Forrester has been rescuing abused and orphaned parrots for 28 years. Join her at 10 to 11 AM daily for Nancy's special presentation "Parrot 101" or "Storytelling" where guests can take pictures of un-caged birds, hold them and ask questions. We gladly welcome families with children and animal lovers to the Secret Garden to interact with our endangered South & Central American macaws and other parrots. Open 10 to 3 daily. Guided 10 to 11, Self-guided 11 to 3 PM. Educational material for each parrot is offered. Help inspire the birds by spending time with them. Bring a picnic lunch, play musical instruments, paint, write, sing, and dance. Parrots love music and videos played on smart devices! Well behaved dogs welcome. Please, leave your parrots at home! Thank you
Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite part of my Key West trip! A+ for animal people.”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I'm so glad I found out about this place. Its not actually a garden anymore per se, but an exotic bird sanctuary. Nancy takes in and rehabilitates abused or abandoned exotic birds and they all live right in her back yard. She has lived on Key West for over 45 years and is truly an amazing person. Its $10, (all the money goes to help feed and take care of the birds), and if you go between 10-11, either her, or Steve will be there to talk to you about the birds and even hold one or two of them. After 11, it’s a self-guided experience, and very much worth seeing on your own, but I highly recommend going at 10.

When I went, I was the only one there, and I sat with Steve (he works for Nancy) for an hour talking about the birds and asking all sorts of questions. I got to hold Peaches, the cockatoo, who was so excited to be on my arm, he kept bobbing up and down doing his little dance moves. When I was leaving, I bumped into Nancy who I spoke to for a good 30 minutes about what she does and her time on the island. She’s been there for 45 years and worked as a nature conservationist for quite some time before finding herself taking care of all the birds. Apparently, she used to have beautiful gardens behind her house as well, but lost those to foreclosure and they have since been developed into housing. Very sad for such an environmental advocate, but now her duty is to care for and help these birds.

If you are an animal lover and want a really cool, up-close experience with some beautiful birds, definitely visit Nancy’s place. You’ll not only be doing yourself a favor, but you’ll also -be helping out these gorgeous feathered creatures.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank shorticori

hugz415
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Worth a stop..just be prepared”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stopped in with our one year old thinking this would be something he would enjoy. We were right...he loved seeing all the colorful birds and had a great time. Admission was $10 per adult, and the little guy was free. The $10 seems a bit steep but it goes towards helping the bird rescue so I didn't really have an issue with it. Just be prepared that this is someones home/backyard. We felt a bit awkward walking back there. Also, think "cat lady house" but with birds instead. Also, we were there at the end of the "show" that is held each day at 10am however, it was less of a show and more of a gathering of bird enthusiasts.

Visited May 2014
Seattle, WA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A Hidden Gem in Key West”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This is a must see in Key West. This woman is amazing! The parrots are her passion and she is very patient in answering questions especially with kids. The cages are clean and obviously well cared for. You will remember this over anything else you will see in Key West. The Hyacinth Macaw is one of the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen.

Visited April 2014
Woodbridge, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Tropical Secret Side Trip”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

If you're looking for something to do that is exotic and a bit on the primitive side, don't miss Nancy's house. You may or may not catch her home but you surely will enjoy walking through her garden...though it's a very small plot of land it will feel like you are in a mini forest. Very cool place...just don't pet the birds...I did and have the scar to prove it (worth it to tell the story though - lol) Go...you'll love it!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank MH1955
Washington Boro, Pennsylvania
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Say "Hi" to Bobo”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The focus here is on the parrots. They are beautiful and friendly. Bobo wouldn't let us go. He demanded attention and would not tolerate our looking at another parrot,

Visited April 2014