Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel
Ocean Key Resort & Spa(Key West)
US$463
US$381
US$190
US$171
Hotels.com
Havana Cabana at Key West(Key West)
US$262
US$190
Travelocity
2,949 results
All reviewspresidential suitefull kitchenevery hourtown restaurantblue barglass of champagneduval streetfree shuttlespiral staircasemarble floorsgulf viewwasher dryershuttle servicehotel shuttlethree bedroomliving roomsmall beach area
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Let's get the bad out of the way, because there's far more good to report: The location is just OK, as it is 10+ minutes to Duval et al, and surrounded by a ton of traffic and other properties being built or under renovation. That said, there is a complimentary shuttle to Duval that runs from early morning (8 am, I believe) and is very punctual, on the hour every hour, until 11 pm. It is also very punctual with transportation from Duval to the hotel at 20 after the hour, every hour (8:20 am - 11:20 pm) Great amenity and made the location less of an issue.

I did not see any of the regular rooms, but the oceanfront suite was amazing -- amazing as in better than Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons and St. Regises I've stayed in. It was a one-bedroom apartment, really, with 1.5 baths, full kitchen (not an efficiency), washer/dryer, dining table, large bedroom, balcony with stairs to a small rooftop sun terrace -- all well appointed and comfortable.

Don't come to Key West looking for a beach vacation -- there's no beach here, really. But if you want to spend time by the pool, this Marriott has a nice one and a small "beach" area. The suites' waterfront balconies are also great for relaxing. But I'd recommend stopping by the water activities hut for jet skis, paddle boards, kayaks, etc. (Note: there's also a GREAT paddleboard and kayak tour company location across the street called Lazy Dog.)

Would recommend for:
- Travelers who put heavy weight on spacious and well-appointed accommodations.
- Travelers who don't mind the slight inconvenience of planning around a (very punctual) shuttle schedule.
- Travelers looking to experience water activities: jet skis, paddleboards, kayaking, etc.
- Would likely be good for families (though we did not travel with children).

Would not recommend for:
- Travelers looking for a beach vacation (you should probably look somewhere other than Key West)
- Travelers who want to be able to walk to everything
- Travelers who are annoyed by construction surrounding their hotel
- Travelers looking for a truly local experience and charm of a boutique hotel

Room Tip: Get a waterfront suite.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Alan B, Director of Sales at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

I'm sorry we slipoed when it came to you not receiving bell staff services and we hope if you return we have fixed that issue. Thank you for all your comments and I will share them with managers and staff as they are important to us so we can stay on top of our game and thank you for your business.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I had a hard time giving this hotel a review, since my experience here had a lot of ups and downs. I'll just write a little bit about everything. Here we go:

CHECKING IN
I was in line waiting to check in and watched the front desk employee offer free glasses of champagne to all the guests. But when I checked in, she did not offer me one. Strange, but no big deal. (By the way, the champagne brand was Wycliff, which tastes pretty good)

ROOM QUALITY:
I walked into my room 225A, which was one of the suites. Absolutely gorgeous. I estimate it was similar to a 800 square foot, 1-bedroom apartment, with 1.5 bathrooms and a balcony.

BEACH:
The hotel advertises a "beach" that is right next to the building, but it's actually a really small strip that's cluttered with seaweed, rocks, and shells. I wouldn't categorize it as a beach, but I don't blame the hotel since all the sand on Key West is imported since Key West is not naturally a beach town.

GYM:
Right next to the beach is the hotel fitness room, which consisted of aerobic equipment, one multi-function machine, free weights, and those bouncy balls. If you are using the aerobic equipment, you will be facing the window looking out at the "beach", which was nice.

DISTANCE TO DOWNTOWN:
The hotel offers a free shuttle that leaves on the hour, every hour from 8AM to 11PM. It picks you up from downtown at 20 after the hour, every hour from 8:20AM to 11:20PM. Downtown is about 4 miles away from the hotel, so your options are limited to the shuttle, taxis, or renting a bike. Marriott offers a bike rental for $15/day, but I'd recommend just using the shuttle.

VERY ANNOYING PROBLEM THAT OCCURRED:
The morning of check out, I was doing my laundry using the in-room machines, so all my clothes were in the washer/dryer. I received a call around 9:45am and all I could hear was static. So, I said to the phone speaker that I can't hear anything and to please try calling me again if they could hear me on the other end. I got no return call and thought that was the end of it.

Around 10am, a bunch of people started knocking on the door. The people came in the room without even giving me time to answer the door- despite the fact that I had "Do Not Disturb" sign in the key slot! All my clothes were in the washer/dryer, so when I heard them opening the front door, I had to quickly run to grab a Marriott bathrobe to put on. They're lucky that they didn't come in 10 minutes later, or I would have been in the shower, which could have potentially caused a significantly worse problem.

These guys that came in told me that they needed to fix something about the cable boxes and that I should have received a call earlier to notify me about this. (So that's what that static-filled call was intended to do). I just put on my pretend happy face and let them do their work. I thought it would take around 5 minutes. IT TOOK MORE THAN 30 MINUTES. I don't understand why they couldn't just wait an hour for me to check out of the room first and then repair the cable boxes.

So there I was, just walking around in the bathrobe, waiting for the people to leave so I could take my shower, finish washing my clothes, pack and leave, but I couldn't do any of that since those electricians were in the room. At this point, I was just getting more and more mad and would rate the property a 1 out of 5.

So when the people left, I was in a hurry to leave and hastily showered and packed my belongings. Wouldn't you know it, because I was so rushed to pack, I left my phone charger in the room and had to return to the hotel later in the afternoon. Luckily, they did have it in a lost and found and returned it to me. Hence, I am doubling my rating from a 1 to a 2.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Howard L
Alan B, Director of Sales at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

With the addition of outside contractors installing new HD TV service, we allowed our normal service level to lapse. By taking the time to offer detailed comments we know that you are a seasoned traveler, with an eye for detail. We appreciate receiving comments, even when negative. While we strive to give impeccable service 100% of the time, once in a while we may fall short. Thank you again for taking the time to write your comments, and we invite you back to allow us to show you all that Marriott Beachside has to offer.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We spent three nights at the KW Marriott for a company conference. Overall, the hotel is good. It really comes down to what you are looking for in a hotel. Here are the specifics:

Airport shuttle and Check-in: free airport shuttle which leaves every half hour. It is a 10 minute ride to the/from the airport. Check-in was easy but could not get our room until 3 PM. And, I am lifetime Platinum. The hotel does have a storage room for your luggage, which worked out well.

Overall service and rooms: service was excellent and the room itself was outstanding. One potential challenge is the room location. It seems like all of the rooms require a lengthy outside walk, which can be a challenge when it [frequently] rains. Also, some of the elevators were under repair.

On site restaurants: good and the food actually seemed reasonably priced compared to other resort hotels. As a Platinum member, I was offered a choice of points or breakfast.
Wi-Fi: complementary and excellent!

Location: I found the location challenging. The hotel is too far to walk to the downtown area and there really is nothing within walking distance. Yes, there is a free hourly shuttle to Duval Street. As long as your schedule matches the shuttle’s schedule, you are excellent. Otherwise, you get an extra hour either at the hotel or downtown (FTY--$20 cab fare). Also, there are a limited number of seats on the shuttle. I am not clear what the hotel would do if 25 people want on the 20 person shuttle.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jknight910
Alan B, Director of Sales at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

We appreciate your comments and look forward to your return; just a note that we do have two 25 passenger buses and two 16 passenger vans for the downtown shuttle runs and we make sure everyone gets a ride even if we have to pay for taxis. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Marriott was great. Suites are amazing, beautifully decorated, huge multiroom accommodations. Property is small but beautiful and very well maintained, and the pool staff is fantastic. The marriott doesn't really have a beach that's usable but neither do any other hotels. There is sand but the water is filled with seaweed and rocks. We checked the Reach and a few others, basically all the same. Smathers beach and the public park are nice beaches if u don't mind driving to them. I would definitely recommend the marriott. Its away from all the crowds and has a free shuttle right to Duval that runs every hr. Great place to relax quietly but be close enough to the action when you want to be. Key west was a great and unique trip. Its not a destination for people who like to lie on a beach all day. We will definitely go back.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mohammi1

Thank you for taking time to comment about your vacation experience we appreciate your comments and your business.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I loved the hotel. It is brand new, the decor is beautiful, the breakfast is PERFECT!!! The rooms are really comfortable. The hotel is a little bit far from the center of key west, but the shuttle service is great. Also I wanted to go to a restaurant to dinner and it was 30 minutes until the shuttle came and someone from the staff drove me there, which I thought was great. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bruna1234
Alan B, Director of Sales at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Thank you for visiting Key West and choosing us as you place to stay, we appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again soon.