“I got absolutely NO sleep”

Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel
Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I had to work in Key West on August 2-3. I found this hotel available on Priceline.com for a lower amount than the over $200.00 price tag and they accepted my offer for a little bit lower amount. The property is very nice but after working a 12 hour day and wanting to get some sleep to be able to work and function the next day, I was looking forward to a pleasant night's sleep. After checking into my room and thinking I was going to be able to get a good night's sleep, a HUGE noise that sounded like a giant generator almost knocked me out of my bed and scared me to death. I called the office. They sent a security person and it was coming from behind a locked door outside my room. He said he didn't know what it was and left. EVERY 30 minutes after that it would come on for about 4 minutes an then go off. Needless to say, I did not get any sleep at all. No one suggested that I could change rooms or do anything about it. I told the desk clerk the next morning that I did not get any sleep and all he said was "i'm sorry." That does not cut it in a hotel of this so-called standard. Plus, I received NO Marriott points for my night's stay. The rooms were nice and it would have been a pleasant experience it I could have slept and, at least, received my Marriott Reward points.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Teresa R
James M, Manager at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Teresa R,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your recent stay. I understand and empathize with your inability to sleep, especially after a 12 hour work day and regret that you weren't offered the option to switch to a room that could provide you with the nights sleep that you needed. I will pass this information to the front office staff so and incident such as this doesn't occur in the future.

I would like to also explain why you didn't receive Marriott Reward points for your stay: Marriott Rewards program has specific rules attached to their reward program and regretablly rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, etc. are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit. Booking through Marriott.com will always allow Marriott Elite members to earn both night credit and point credits for each of their qualified stays. With that being said, if you contact me at the hotel directly, 305 296 8100, I would be happy to look at your reservation and purchase the points you would have earned for your stay.

Although this doesn't help alleviate the issues you encountered I do hope you consider this hotel for any of your future stays in Key West.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights in a 1 bedroom suite (like a 1 bedroom Apartment). The parking is self, which i like to come and go, and the price is 20$/day.
The room came with a beautiful kitchen which was wonderful! Stainless/ granite/ high ceilings.

The pool was nice- warm. An iguana jumped in the pool on our 1st day!!! crazy!!!

The breakfast buffet was small and charming. We had waffles, scrambled eggs, bagle, bacon, fruit- 19$ or kids 6and under free. Our friends were employees of Marriott and did not get the "employee food discount" told that property was a franchies and they didnt offer-)

The TVs were great flat screen with all the channels like at home!!
There are 3 building(shaped like a C) around the pool. Each building has 2 elevators- so try to park/ and use the elevator nearest your room- so you dont have to wind through the outside corridor. There is a Publix down the street- The crazy fun stuff is 10-15 min away (depending on traffic/road construction) in a car- we drove back and forth- plenty of metered parking (takes ccards). have fun.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank gonutts
Alan B, Director of Sales at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

I am glad you enjoyed so many of the amenities we have to offer and enjoyed the suite so much; this hotel is know for suites as that is what we have the most of on property. I am happy to mentioned the road construction project will be finished this week. Thank you for staying with us and hope you can return again soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel was clean, mostly helpful staff. Location was out of the way, you have to catch the free bus, but this is only once an hour otherwise you need a taxi. There is no beach! You are on a mangrove lagoon so no swimming. There is a tiny strip of sand. Pool area nice but beach bar food is poor.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your comments and I regret you did not have a good time and yes we are about 3 miles from the center of Duval street and offer complimentary shuttle every hour from 8 am till 11pm. I hope you have safe travels where ever you may be going.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed for 5 nights (7/12-7/17/14) at this hotel and had a wonderful experience. The first night we stayed in an Open Air Walkway room, 283 sq. ft., which was nice and clean, but small, however we decided to try and upgrade to a 1BR Presidential Suite, 953 sq. ft.. Was sold out the first night but was able to upgrade the last 4 nights. Wow, what an awesome suite for two people (full kitchen, LR, DR, etc.) with a nice balcony and view of the pool! The entire staff was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and helpful and made us feel especially welcome during our entire stay. Food was excellent for both breakfast and dinner. The pool was very clean, nice sized and the pool bar staff made regular rounds around the pool, which was great. The beach was ok, which was expected and we were pleasantly surprised that Fury Adventures just opened a new shop on location. The 90 minute jet ski adventure to the ocean was awesome!! The hotel's shuttle system was excellent (8am-11pm) and the staff were willing to accommodate requests within reason. The parking was a bit pricey ($19.50/nt), but we knew that in advance. We enjoyed the international flavor of the other guests (Germany, Belgium, Canada, etc.) as well as those local USers as well. We really enjoy staying at Marriott hotels when we travel for their quality and standard and were very pleased with our recent stay in Key West!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DonD721

Thank you for being a loyal Marriott guest and for picking us as your place to stay while in Key West. Yes the suites are amazingly comfortable and have just about everything you need so I'm glad you were able to enjoy one. Thank you again for your business and hope you can return again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed here just for a night with two friends for a last minute trip down to the keys. Last time I stayed I had a 2 room suite which was amazing. No such luck this time, we got the hotel on Priceline since last minute rates were kind of through the roof.

I was excited when we got this hotel since I figured we could upgrade to the huge room. Unfortunately they were sold out and we could only get one king bed for three guys. We asked for a roll away, no luck there either. I had to make a little bed on the hard granite floor out of extra pillows.

If you were staying solo in a king room you'd be fine. The room itself though is really nice, not big by any means and tiny when you put three dudes in there.

Room Tip: The suites are awesome and well worth the upgrade
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank fsview11
Alan B, Director of Sales at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you for being a repeat guest and you are correct many times upgrades are not available as we do sell out almost every day of the year so best to plan accordingly if a suite is what you really want. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel with teenagers. We stayed at the presidential suite which was beautiful and very spacious. The breakfast and room service were excellent. The hotel staff was extremely helpful. As frequent business travelers we have high standards and this hotel met all our expectations.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Ileana B
Alan B, Director of Sales at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you your wonderful comments and taking the time to post them here; we try hard to make everyone's vacation right as we know you work hard to get the time off and appreciate your choosing us for that relaxing trip. Thank you for your business and hope you can return soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

After some 3 hours on the road, reached Key West Marriott Beachside.
Staff at the front desk was amazing, always smiling and making you feel await.
As part of my Marriott Gold Elite status, got an upgrade for a gorgeous 1 bedroom room, with full equipped kitchen, great dining room and living room. Breakfest at the restaurant was delicious and, again, staff there was so professional.
Pool bar had a good selection of draft beers, and offered a happy hour period, offering 2x1. GREAT!

Cons.: parking is quite expensive (USD 20,00/night).
shower could be better, with more pressure.
Living room, yet big enough, looked somewhat dated and "heavy" for a beach hotel.

Afterall, would definitely go back to this property!

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms have stairs from the balcony to the pool area. 3rd floor rooms offer a terrace.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for being a loyal Reward program member and for your business; the staff works hard to make sure everyone's vacation is memorable and it sounds as though they hit the mark for you. Hope to see you again soon.