“Absolutely Amazing”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Cary, North Carolina
“Absolutely Amazing”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Wow. The one word that kept coming to me as I walked the grounds at The Moorings was "stunning". I would add breathtaking. I kept having to remind myself that I was in Florida. The beach was more beautiful than anything I have seen in the islands or anywhere else in the States and I love beaches. We stayed in the Lodges-South and were very surprised at how nice it was. I think it has been updated from the pictures on their website as the paneling has all been painted white and the rooms are very bright. I didn't realize it was two rooms, one with the full kitchen and sofa area and then a large separate bedroom. The bathroom was very nicely done with lovely tile. The landscaping on the property is beyond description, I have attached pictures that still don't do it justice. We saw very few other people while there. It is a very private, secluded, peaceful experience. We did take out the kayaks one day. The restaurant (across the street) is a separate review, but it was our favorite. Believe everything good you read about The Moorings, it is all true.

12 Thank aMominCary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 19 May 2012

WOW is the first word that comes to mind when I describe this place. It's romantic, super quiet and secluded. All of the homes are private, charming and very well kept. The staff is extremely helpful and pleasant. Most of the guests are 'regulars' and visit often. It really is a hidden gem - which is why we love it. We were married across the street at Pierre's and I booked The Orchid House - which I want to move into and stay forever - for 2 nights. We had friends staying in The Treehouse - which is another beautiful cottage. There is no restaurant or room service - but you have a fully equipted kitchen - should you need it. We loved sitting on the porch, in our robes, sipping coffee in the morning. This is the place where you go to write a book, rekindle a flame, fall in love, etc. I didn't use the spa but, I've spoken with them a few times and have had friends use the facilities and they raved about it. They were able to find me a hairdresser for my wedding, last minute too! I could keep writing but, you will see from all the reviews that this place is very, very special. I can't wait to go back..thankfully its just a drive away to this paradise.

7 Thank Pookie188
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Romantic, quiet and secluded get away. We celebrated our 25 year anniversary. Walking distance to galleries and great restaurants. All of the houses and cottages are charming and nestled under a canopy of trees. Nice pool for laps. The few guests we did encounter had been here ten or more times! We plan to be back too.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lodge north and loved it.
6 Thank Dallas_ellenita
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 April 2012

From the moment we turned down Beach Road into the secluded haven known as The Moorings Village we knew this was a special place. As others have noted, if you are looking for quiet, total relaxation, respectful guests, natural beauty - this is the spot. You will be smitten within 24 hours, or less. Great lap pool (no screaming children), decent tennis court (raquets/balls provided if you forgot to pack yours), pristine/peaceful beach, hammocks in the palm trees dot the beachfront and in a final nod to land - one hammock swings in the breeze at the end of the main dock. We had a small problem with hot water in our cottage and the management could not have been more understanding and generous in dealing with it. Wonderful spa, too! When the apocolypse comes,I'll gladly head to the Moorings to ride out the rest of my days. Can't wait to return!

9 Thank BDG618
Colts Neck, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Had the pleasure of spending 5 nights at The Moorings and can't wait to return... we arrived in Islamorada mid day & was invited to come early & check in... Our first 2 night we satyed at the Orchard cottage & was beautiful, then on Easter Sunday moved to The Honeymoon Cottage; we were so happy with the Orchard that we didn't want to move until Thomas said " Trust me " and boy was he correct...Blew Us Away...amazing cottage with wrap around porch & ocean front views... When you read about privacy here it is so true, right next store to the Chico Lodge but could be 1,000 miles away... Secluded beach with kyayks to go for a ride when every you see fit... just remember this is not the place if you want to have a pool boy asking you if you want a cocktail; it doesn't exist... it is totally secluded... Full kitchen in every cottage, we made a run up the street for some wine & beer... very happy folks on the beach... the staff are so helpful if you need them & if not they blend into the hundreds of palm treees on the property... If you have any request it is taken care of right away... Thomas & his staff is AWESOME !!!

Room Tip: HONEYMOON COTTAGE... will be a honeymoon all over again !!!
7 Thank lovetoeat5935
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My wife and I came here for our honeymoon. What a great spot! We stayed at the Sifca House the first three nights, and then the South Lodge the last 2 nights. It took us forever to decide on a place to go, but we came across the Moorings and are so glad that we pulled the trigger on this one. It was an extremely relaxing place to visit. Beach, hammocks, pool, and very quiet. We were supposedly there during peak season, but barely saw anybody else on the property. The grounds were well maintained, it felt like we were in a well manicured palm tree jungle, with a gorgeous beach. It's the perfect place to travel with your significant other, as it is a quiet, romantic, and very relaxing place.

The Sifca house was great. It was clean, secluded, and had a gorgeous porch to eat breakfast on, drink mimosas on, or just hang out on. The South Lodge was not comparable to the Sifca house, but wasn't bad. I would totally recommend staying in the "higher end" cottages for at least the first couple nights, it's worth the money. You certainly get what you pay for.

Overall, if you're looking for a great place to relax and getaway with a beautiful beach as your disposal, then this is your place. Might I add, the 2 restaurants across the street (Morada Bay and Pierre's) are excellent. Fresh seafood and great atmosphere. Loved it all.

PS- While the beach is gorgeous, I should mention that the the water is pretty shallow with a "marshy" feel to it (sea grass etc yet crystal clear). No waves, and you wouldn't want to sit in the water either because of the "muddy" feel to it. It's not dirty, but the nature of the area (florida keys) just has rather marshy shores. However, there is a dock that goes out to about 5 feet of water that you can swim around with crystal clear water. This didn't bother me or my wife at all though, we still swam off the dock - plus there is really nice pool close to the beach. There are also kayaks on the shore that you can take out. Great touch.

10 Thank Adam85_12
London, UK
Reviewed 8 February 2012

This was an amazing holiday in this wonderful old world property on a beach amongst coconut palms. We stayed in a honeymoon cottage and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a low key break. There were hardly any people on the beach or at the pool despite nearly all cottages being occupied. There are kitchen facilities and you can walk within a short distance to convenience store and half a dozen very good restaurants. I'm not sure if you can swim in the ocean as it seemed very shallow but the beach was truly amazing and picturesque. We would definitely like to be back with bias towards honeymoon cottage. We looked at some two bedroom properties and they nice but not as nice as this cottage.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple