“Awful”
Review of White Gate Court

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Islamorada
White Gate Court
Seattle, Washington
“Awful”
Reviewed 7 July 2006

After reading good although mixed reviews about this place, I took a chance and booked it for a short holiday for my husbands birthday with our dogs. White Gate Court advertises that the rooms are charming and big breeds must be supervised as well as a tropical park between the cottages and highway. The rooms are worse than any shoddy motel room imaginable and are quite decrepit. Rusty walls, rusty exposed waterheater, gritty floors, lumpy rickety furniture. The faucets were almost completely rusted away and the water made a huge noise when it finally came on. There were ants and other bugs, etc. The airconditioners struggled to keep up with the heat and of course had to run all the time. A huge Rottweiler from one of the cottages roamed the premises night and day and was completely unsupervised, intimidating not only our dogs but us as well. Eating and preparing food in the kitchen was like trying not to touch too much in order to stay clean. Not a pleasant experience. The tropical park was a few palm trees, a scrubby bare lawn and one could hear traffic.

There was a person filling in for the owner and she was nice but fairly unconcerned.
There were other friendly dogs on leash with whom my dogs got to play. The bed was comfortable although the side tables swayed when you touched them. I was afraid they would collapse. The small beach and water were nice and there was a good pier for boats. There were chairs and lounge chairs with umbrellas to sit and enjoy the water. The cleaning staff were nice.

This place is really, really expensive. You must pay for your entire stay upfront and now I can see why. We couldn't wait to get out of there.

• Stayed June 2006
14 Thank drjfkennedy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Boston
Reviewed 18 April 2006

Well, just before we headed home, my wife and I thought we would scout out a few places in Islamorada for next years vacation. On the website, White Gate looked very nice and they allowed pets. Sounded great. In person, it was a different story.

Unless you like a rude, chain-smoking Hungarian in a housedress as a host, this is not the place for you.

She didin't offer to show us around was disparaging of the other resorts and basically said not to bother her until next year. She needn't worry.
We didn't walk out of there........we ran.

Stayed April 2006
18 Thank yellowtail35
new york
Reviewed 8 February 2006

we've always loved islamorada but would never stay at white gate again. very expensive for what you get. susan seems to cater to europeans only and we found her to be extremely biased and rude. if we had any complaints we were met with arrogance and disregaed. most days (everyday) found susan sleeping and not to be disturbed. will continue to enjoy islamorada but not at white gate court as there are so many beautiful places where we will feel welcome and treated like guests and not an inconvenience at "nap time".

• Stayed April 2003
14 Thank ae3plus3
St Augustine
Reviewed 4 November 2005

Old Florida cottages with kitchenettes...Fish the back country or the reefs while she suns on the private beach...pets are welcome, and so close to the World Wide Sportsman. Fantastic, it's got something for everyone, we wouldn't stay any place else!

Stayed November 2005
3 Thank StAugustineSue
Sarasota
Reviewed 21 October 2005

My wife and I stayed at White Gate Court the week of October 6th. It was our 8th time back. The resort has on old keys type charm that can't be found at other resorts we've tried that are pet friendly. When making fair and full comparisons to other resorts, none stands close. Just try to find a resort with plenty of soft grass (not crushed shell or small sharp white rocks) for your furry friend's paws or pads. Easy access to the water via steps is also a solid plus. The grounds are immaculate and very tropical. If your idea of a pristine room is of the national chain variety, then, my friends, this resort is not for you. For what it's worth, we hope nothing changes at White Gate Court. The negative posts listed here should only be considered as reliable and un-biased opinions after personally visiting all the dog friendly resorts the Florida Keys has to offer. We have done so, and it truly is a no-brainer!!! Attitudes sometimes conflict and after many visits we have made to White Gate Court, it's my belief that something sparked the always polite and courteous staff to be interpreted as rude. How you approach something always has an effect on the outcome. Management response and feedback has always been exemplary to us and all the guests that were at the resort on every visit. Susan and company, keep up the good work and the desired clientele will continue to make repeat visits as we have.

Stayed October 2005
4 Thank Zoeypup
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 October 2005

I have never written a review to this website before, but after reading what was posted on Oct. 15, 2005 I felt compelled to share my experience at White Gate Court, which is radically different.
I have been going to White Gate Court since ’01. Living in Miami, this beautiful resort is only two hours from home. WGC has been a life saver for me, as it is a true getaway from the busy life. It is a quiet and immaculately tended piece of property and it is PET friendly. Every time my dog Maggie and I stay at WGC, we meet the most interesting people from all over the world. I run into many regulars, like myself, that continue to come back to WGC year after year. The cottages (I have stayed in all of them) with full kitchens, are always spotless. I have never seen ants or bugs, and have certainly never smelled anything other than fresh air. The staff is always courteous and accommodating. The beach is a typical beach for the Keys, protected by a seawall and coral rocks. There is easy access to the water and the snorkeling is great! There are comfortable lounge chairs to sit and look at the breathless view of the blue water. I can’t emphasize enough how impeccably kept are the grounds and cottages. If you want to know the truth about WGC, go to their Guest book at www.whitegatecourt.com The messages, which are many, are sent by identified people and are not anonymously posted.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviewed 15 October 2005

My wife and I and our dog packed up our car from Pompano Beach and headed to Whitegate Court on Tuesday the 11th. We planned on a 5 day trip. When we arrived and unpacked everything we noticed the villa (#7) had ants running all over the floors, walls, in the kitchen, bathroom, in the shower, in the bedrooms....everywhere! The furniture was dirty and one of the couches was chewed up. They also stunk like urine. The bathroom was dark and smelled like a sewer which stunk the entire unit up. We went over to the office and told Susan and she said that we were overacting; she said everyone has ants and they shouldn't bother you. She told us to wipe everything down with soap and water. I couldn't believe it but did what she said. In less than an hour there were twice as many ants. We could not even make a sandwich because the ants would attack the bread before you could get the lunchmeat on it. They were also crawling into our dogs food dish and into his pet bed. We went to the office again and Susan became rude and said what do you want now? Then she said we had personal problems and we were being too dramatic. She did not even offer to correct the situation or give us another unit. I told her enough was enough and that we were leaving because this was disgusting and unacceptable. She said do what ever you want because I already charged your credit card for the full amount. We left and went back home. I have never been so appauled in my life. We are disputing our charges and we will let everyone know our experience at Whitegate so no one else will have to go through what we did. Try the Sands of Islamorada and ask for Cindy. They take pets and it is spotless. There is no comparison. We would have stayed there but they had no vacancies. She said other people have also complained about Whitegate and were looking for somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed October 2005