“Excellent Value, Location and Comfort”

Lookout Lodge Resort
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“Excellent Value, Location and Comfort”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I never regret coming back to Lookout Lodge each year. So far from what I hear 2014 has been the best season in years and you can tell. Everyone from the hoteliers to the restaurant staff to the fishing and diving guides are breathing a sigh of relief. I also noted a lot of improvements. Charter boats have been kept up, dive shops painted and even the road to the Keys has been repaved.

I checked in rather late, just as the manager was ready to close which is at 9. But Gregg took the time to welcome me back, ask how I was doing and if I needed anything before he went home. I was good, just needed a comfy bed. He checked me into 106 which has a great view of the marina, There were a few people here to fish and they had their boats docked. I missed the legendary sunset that night but sine I had most of the week that would happen when I do my tradition BBQ on the deck!

Gregg had already turned on the air so when I opened the room door I got a comforting cool breeze hit me. As I put my things away I could not help notice all of the improvements - new spreads, new curtains, new paint - wow they were really doing a nice job. The next day I asked Don, the owner what was up. He said he has been working on a room improvements punch list painting everything lighter, tropical colors, replacing the darker drapes and curtains with nicer and lighter patterns, putting flat screen TVs in all of the room and on the waterfront front, changing out all of the screens.

For me it seemed more than necessary as last year I was just fine with the rooms. They were clear and comfortable and who care if the 32" TV was a tube unit! But I admite I did enjoy the improvements, their personal attention and OMG the sunsets are to die for! Can't wait to return in the fall!

Room Tip: If you travel with another couple or family the two bedroom suites are the best value.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank ecoguides

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The location of this hotel was great, located at Islamorada it was less crowded than Key West but close to all the attractions. The rooms were clean and staff was friendly. The hotel had outdoor tables, hammocks, seating, and BBQ so meals could be made and enjoyed outside. It did not have a pool but was located next to marker 87 restaurant with a beach (the Keys do not have a lot of beaches). Kayaks and stand up boards could be rented at the beach. Marker 87 is a good resturant with a great bar.

Room Tip: Upstairs room have a oceanviews
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Isabum
Byron, Georgia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

As I read from several others, I am also reluctant to write this review. Mostly because the staff was so nice an accommodating. Great service can be found here, however, the rooms can't be ignored. Depending on your standards, some may find the rooms old, worn, and cramped. The bathroom was SO SMALL. Larger, taller guests will most likely be seriously uncomfortable here. My wife is about 5'5, 150 pounds (not very big) and could barely close the bathroom door after walking in the closed space. The bed coverings are also quite ancient, but comfortable enough. Its difficult to get past the extremely worn look, but our room was very clean. Our Keys experience was fabulous, and the room didn't subtract from it at all. There just isn't thing terrible, or exceptional about the living space. Its just average. On a closing note, the creme brulee at the restaurant next door is scrumptious!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water are larger
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Q M
New Jersey
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I checked out of this hotel 1 week ago today. The reviewer directly beneath mine said it all. The staff here were really very nice. The hotel is old and looks it. The shower was difficult and I'm a very small adult, about the size of your average 12 year old boy.

The carpet was ucky, to be honest. I think if they just did some updating, it would be a nice place.

I'm not worry we stayed there, but I also wouldn't go back. I found it not up to my cleanliness standards and...I'm not a 4-5 star hotel girl. I grew up camping and have stayed in old cabins in our national parks. These cabins were in much better shape than Lookout Lodge Resort.

Sorry guys who work there...you're all terrific. Perhaps the owner would consider updating and investing in new carpeting, new ceramic tile, etc... The vancouver reviewer was right...the ceramic was worn and chipped enough that it does look dirty or like there are dead bugs on the floor.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I'm conflicted about posting this review but after much thought, I've decided to do so:

First, let me say that the staff at this hotel were very pleasant and helpful. That's why I didn't want to post this review. But the negatives about this hotel really, really dampened our 4-night stay on the keys, so I'm posting this in case someone else who is similar in likes/dislikes is considering staying here.

Our original room was at the end of the building, closest to the highway, on the ground floor. The kitchen area of the room and the bathroom featured ceramic tiles on the floor, but the tiles were worn to black in many areas, making them look very dirty. The carpet in the bed area was dark, worn, and looked dirty. The walls also could have benefited from a cleaning. Everything looked old and worn. I always wear indoor slippers when staying in hotels so this level of cleanliness (or non-cleanliness) really bummed me out. The room also smelled like it had been fumigated and there was white powder in the corners near some of the door jambs. I didn't touch it, but to me, it looked like some kind of bug poison.

The room was very cramped for us (2 adults, 2 kids under 11 yrs old), partly because we didn't want to put anything on the floor, so stuff was piled on chairs and the table.

This is not what I expect from a room that is costing close to $200/night.

After some discussion, my wife went to the office and asked if another room was available. The young woman working the desk was very helpful and she offered us the ground floor room at the other end of the building. This was a larger room with a screened-in balcony and a separate bedroom. It would cost us an extra $100 (so almost $300/night!) but we hated the original room so much that we took it.

This new room had enough space for us, plus it was also brighter, thanks to the balcony. It still smelled a bit like the first room, plus the bathroom toilet was loose and would rock a bit whenever you sat on it. It also could have used a thorough cleaning. Its carpet was similarly worn and dirty.

On the day of our last night at that hotel, we had to move to the room directly above, because our current room (ie: the 2nd one we stayed in) was reserved for someone else. We had plans to go out snorkelling so the manager graciously offered to move all our belongings, as well as the contents of the fridge, to the new room. So we just packed up our stuff, left it by the door, and when we returned later in the day, everything had been moved for us. Great service!

This third and final room was cleaner than the second, but it was still below our expectations of cleanliness. Also found a roach under the kitchen sink but I guess that's to be expected in these types of climates.

Oh, the pillows were also overly puffy, making it hard for me to sleep without putting a kink in my neck. And the mattress or box spring creaked every time I moved.

On the plus side, this hotel was literally right on the water. They had a nice water-front area where you could grill food, relax in hammocks, and look at the water. There were also steps so you could walk into the water and swim (water was about 3-4 feet deep for quite a ways from the shore). No beach, though.

They also had a little break water where you could dock your boat, so I could see how this place would be popular with boaters.

Oh, there was also a kayak rental place next door, as well as an outdoor restaurant (about 75 ft away) and appeared to feature live music EVERY NIGHT. So if you like to relax outside WITHOUT live music, then this is not the place for you!

I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend it for people who have standard requirements for hotel cleanliness. The place isn't horribly dirty, but it is below average. So if that's the kind of thing that bugs you, then you won't enjoy a stay here. I've stayed in worse places on my own and didn't mind. But when I'm travelling for a relaxing holiday with my wife and kids, my expectations are higher, especially when I'm paying $300/night! I will say, though, that I am perplexed by the posters who found this place to be very clean. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. In my defense, this is the first time I've stayed somewhere and posted a complaint about its lack of cleanliness, and I don't stay at places like the Hilton, either.

This was our first time to Florida, and while at the Keys our plan was to go sightseeing, not hang out at the hotel. In hindsight we should've gone for something away from the water in a larger area like Marathon, where we would be paying for a higher quality room rather than pay for a great place to watch sunsets from.

But like I said, I do feel bad posting this because the staff were very friendly and helpful. Well, except for one guy who lectured me in front of my 8 yr old daughter when we were coming back from the restaurant next door because we stepped over the 2 ft fence instead of going through the proper gate. I immediately apologized for the mistake yet he continued to lecture.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lars582
Pueblo, Colorado
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I have to admit, with the mixed reviews I was skeptical but wanted to stay in the area and this was the best place to get two bedrooms at a reasonable price.
First of all, this is a 'boutique' type of motel. The rooms are different configurations. If you are looking for a Hilton or HI, then don't stay here.
We were greeted by Greg on our arrival and he was friendly and helpful. The room (two bedroom w/kitchen) was very clean and everything worked. It is stocked with some dishes, glasses and silverware; when I go back again I would stop at the supermarket in Tavernier to pick up some food first.
The grounds are really well kept and the view on the water is phenomenal. There's a little beach next store where you can rent kayaks and boards. A few tiki huts for shade along with a couple of gas BBQ grills.
All the staff was friendly and we're definitely going back again!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank phantomco
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have spent hours to find a quite and nice place in the Keys and I'm very happy to say I did find a rare jewl. My husband and I spent one week at this resort and absolutely loved it. From our room we had a direct few on the Golf of Mexico. The area was quiet at night. I was surprised how little we heard of the people living upstairs.
The staff was super nice and helpful. We felt very much welcome and at home. Since there are not many rooms it is easy to get into a conversation with the other guests of the resort.
I would very much recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing get-away. Thank you very much to the Lookout Lodge Resort Team - we had a great stay.

Room Tip: 106 has got to be the best room :)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple