“peaceful resort, connect with nature”

Chesapeake Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Demotte, Indiana
“peaceful resort, connect with nature”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Loved, loved it. All the employees were friendly, extremely helpful...I needed AA batteries, went to the front counter...the lady offered me two batteries. They were so helpful with directions, activity ideas around the keys, etc. Free kayak use, bike use, paddleboats. Right on the ocean. Beautiful ocean breezes and plenty of sunshine. We were here from wed-Monday. Wed. to Friday we felt like we were all by ourselves...then Friday night, a bunch of people came in, but there were a couple weddings going on at the hotel next door, so we figured it was over flow from there. Breakfast was great out on the beach every morning, until the crowd moved in on the weekend, but nothing the hotel could do about that....Saw lots of lizards, up to 4 feet long. They don't bother anyone. Fun and entertaining to watch. One morning a manatee cow and calf showed up in our lagoon. Lots of fish, a few resident crabs. Lots of chairs and little islands to lay out and enjoy the sunshine. A wonderful pool and hot tub. Everything is clean, reminded me of old Florida, but kept in great shape. Every room has a good view. We stayed in one of the villas, wasn't supposed to be an ocean view, but we could see the ocean right out our front door...from our screened porch. Very quiet here, peaceful, great facility, restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: villas are probably quieter and you can park right outside..don't expect brand new resort...it i...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
New Jersey
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Our group stayed for four nights and were pleased overall. The staff was friendly and helpful. The place was clean but the maid service was spotty. We were missing some item of linens every time they cleaned one of the rooms. Hand towels, a bath mat, wash cloths,something was always missing. Letting the desk know brought swift replacement. We also had a TV go on the fritz and it was replaced within 30 minutes of letting the desk know.

The place is also getting a bit long in the tooth. The bathrooms are clean and functional but need upgrading and the door in ours was binding.

The complimentary breakfast was acceptable but the scrambled eggs were reconstituted from powder (or at least looked and tasted like it).

We chose the property for its proximity to the fishing charter. It met our needs and we would stay again. We didn't make use of the resort features but a walking tour suggested they were as advertised.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Grumpy_Old_Man848
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This property looks like an old rundown keys hotel from the road but is far from it. The rooms are very clean as is the property. It has all of the amenities and the staff is very friendly and hard working. Do not pass up on the wonderful place. I hate to say too much then too many people will want to stay there and I will not be able to get a room

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DavidG904
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Decided to go to Islamorada for the weekend to surprise my son for his 13th birthday! After reading reviews here on tripadvisor, picked Chesapeake Beach Resort and what a gem. From Overseas Hwy, it looks like a small resort but it opens up on the ocean to a large stretch of hammocks and tiki huts and numerous beach chairs and seating areas, with 2 nice pools. The grounds were very tropical and well kept. We made use of the complimentary kayaks and paddle boats and had a blast! The complimentary breakfast was good, especially when sitting outside while eating enjoying the ocean view. We found a great place to eat right next to Bass Pro Shop called Morada Bay Beach Cafe which I highly reccomend...all outside dining and beautiful sunset views. Also, don't miss going the Robbie's Marina right down the road to feed the tarpon. I think my son went through 8 buckets of fish and had a blast. All in all, a great weekend at a great resort in beautiful Islamorada in the Keys!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sujuann
ohio
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This place is clean, fresh, and the views are beautiful. It is reasonably priced and the staff couldn't be nicer or more helpful. You must check out the tiki hut. The breeze is refreshing the ocean view is calendar picture good. A good book and a glass of something and what a good day. I tried to come up with something to be critical about but... Do watch for the guard iguanas that march up the beech every afternoon. Very cool!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 10050
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Delightful, small resort style hotel on the beach in beautiful Islamorada. Nice, laid back atmosphere with plenty of excellent seafood restaurants nearby. The front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant, as were the local herons and pelicans inhabiting the beach and pool area.

The continental breakfast could be spruced up a bit and the antiquated universal weight machine (outdoors) would be best left in the local scrap yard.

Altogether a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roadwarar
Fort Morgan, Colorado
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I booked my stay based on Tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed! In fact, I found Chesapeake exceeded my expectations. Several posted reviews dissed the cleanliness, condition, and bedding qualities of the rooms, so I arrived with a few hesitations.

Checking in at night I was helped by a friendly front desk person. In fact, I called before I arrived thinking I was lost. She coached me with a few simple directions and I arrived safe and secure. Check in was a breeze. I appreciated a real key on a wristband that wouldn't get lost - 2 sets in fact.

My ocean side king suite was immaculate, the bed and pillows very comfortable, and the furnishings quite nice. This is indeed an 'old Florida' style facility, which is what I prefer. The living area had a sofa and 2 arm chairs, as well as storage furniture and large screen tv. The adjacent dining area had a 30" round table w/ 4 side chairs. Two balcony areas, one off the living, another off the bedroom, had 2 arm chairs with side tables. The housekeeping staff were helpful and friendly, not in your face. I left my 'privacy please' tag on several different days and they didn't bother me, but left clean linens in a bag outside my door.

A real treat was the jacuzzi in the king room just steps from the bed; I thought it would be in the bathroom, but it was a second tub altogether. Wonderful for honeymoon romance I would imagine! Relaxing for me before hitting the bed.

The small kitchen was adequate for simple food prep, though remember it only has a 2 burner cooktop, microwave, and NO OVEN. Decent size refrigerator (think small apartment), and adequate utensils, etc. if you peek in the cupboards to find them all.

The main pool is large enough to swim laps, no deep end or diving board. I actually liked the shallower depth for standing around and visiting with other guests. Plenty of nice quality chaise loungers, umbrella tables with arm chairs, and a large hot tub in the pool area. I didn't go to the second smaller pool, but others seemed to be enjoying it.

There is a beach, though small, but still exists, and you can wade out into the shallow water to enjoy the ocean. Wear shoes as there is seaweed and some gravely rocks as you enter. Not shelling beaches like Sanibel, but still the same wonderful calm, warm ocean water. Low tide was in the morning and was great to get out into the water. Loungers and hammocks and chairs/tables are located along the property's length by the water.

As for the grounds, they were very nice. Not a 5 star overdone resort property, but small gardens along the pathways between buildings. Plenty of parking even for Labor Day weekend, and room for boats to pull in and dock at the nice small harbor there. Lovely plantings and walkways to the pool, water sports area, tennis court, and covered workout weight equipment spot. Elevators that have been added at some point made getting from the first level parking up to my 3rd level room easy. The view of the ocean is spectacular.

I booked an all day off-shore fishing charter with Captains Parker and Grovier on the Danica Anne. My daughter from Miami visited for 2 days, and went fishing w/ me. We caught a lot of fish and had a nice ride with these two gentlemen. A very pleasant fishing experience. Good for singles, couples, family, or up to 6 friends on their nice large 42' boat that has an enclosed cabin, including an airplane size bathroom 'head'. We fisher ladies appreciate that!

I would return again for sure. A diverse crowd at the pool, with folks from Miami, New York, Ohio, and me from Colorado. If you have a boat, it seems a great place to dock and stay.

There were a number of young couples there, kind of a party type crowd, but they weren't noisy, or the noise didn't carry to my room.

Hot breakfast is complimentary and decent fare served in an A/C room on the way to the pool and boat area.

Ice and pop machines near the elevators at each level. Some gifts and things for sale in the Lobby. Closest grocery store is 20-30 minutes or so away, so maybe hit it on the way there to stock up if you are fixing for yourself. There is an ATM at the restaurant/harbor complex just to the north by the dockmaster office.

Room Tip: Ocean side upper level is recommended. They also have villas for more of a suite feel at ground lev...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo