“Back in Paradise”

Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Toronto, Canada
“Back in Paradise”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I call the Chesapeake Beach Resort my personal paradise. This is the place I return to, to connect to nature and to my soul. This year I am back for 2 weeks and I am enjoying every day. Included in the price of the room they supply kajaks, and a hobiecat, which I am taking out for a sail today. I am writing this review as I am sitting on my balcony enjoying the view of the lagoon and the ocean. Love to swim in the lagoon. I have been coming to the Keys for close to 30 years and this is the best there is. I recommend it to anyone that wants to relax, reenergize and connect to nature.

Room Tip: This year I am staying in 602
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank birgittemelnick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had so much fun relaxing in this peaceful setting. My grandchildren said they were having the best time of their lives, kayaking, barbecuing on the beach overlooking the magnificent sunset, swimming in the heated pools at night and just enjoying the peace and quiet. A great getaway!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We booked this hotel last minute after deciding to join friends on a long weekend trip to Islamorada. Having booked earlier, our friends secured a hotel room, but we were left with only two choices, one being a "villa." The room was very spacious, similar to a standalone bungalow, with a full kitchen, large open living space, and ocean views. The bed was very comfortable, kitchen was clean with a full-size fridge. The bathroom was small, but functional, although the staff was unable to resolve the problem of a slow draining drain in the tub. It was updated to some extent, but the door definitely needed to be painted or replaced. We also didn't have housekeeping service for two days, but when they finally serviced the room, they did a fantastic job. (we had plenty of towels for the two of us despite this) The breakfast room is small and cramped as mentioned in previous reviews, but there is an outdoor patio where we ate every day, with a lovely view of the ocean. The breakfast is ok, is included in the resort fee, and was tended diligently by the staff. The pool we used is a bit "tired" looking, and could use a thorough scrubbing/rehab of the tiles. Having said that the water was clear, clean, and warm. The grounds are absolutely beautiful, and very well maintained. Lounge chairs, hammocks, and beach chairs abound and are positioned to allow guests to enjoy the views of the ocean. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. If you want an upscale, lush, lodging experience, try the Cheeca Lodge, the Marriott or Hyatt in Key Largo, or one of the resorts in Key West. But for families with kids, folks on a fishing trip, or a couple days stop in a quiet location after a cruise, this is fine.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank maggymae
Dundas, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Many folks travel to the keys,in Florida....seems like everyone describes their time there,as slow and easy,but,don't always describe the place they choose to stay at, with the same affection. When you stay, you truly want your surroundings to have a calming effected, on your fast paced life. We loved key west, lots to do and see, but, we were always on the go.....it was a little too pricey to do things slowly. So, this time, we chose Chesapeake Resort, on the village of islands known as Islamorada. It has been a glorious experience. As soon as you drive up to register at the front office, you strangely get a chance to exhale a little...It's just as described, and the folks in charge welcome you with open arms....almost in respite. The registration is quick, the details are clear, and your rooms are close by....It's a small resort, with the experience of a big resort. The staff are very friendly, the grounds are immaculate, and the breakfast is more than we expected. So many things to see and do from this location, or, just veg, in the pools, the hot tub, or the seaside beach. The natural beach is exactly that, a seaside beach, but, the elevated beach is pristine, and is power raked every night. The rake designs are kinda neat to wake up to. There are no onsite restaurants,but, the place is kid friendly, and the free parking is first come...some is covered, some is open. There are 63 units in this resort...you kinda meet folks pretty quickly. So, the real question IS....would we come back?....you bet. It's clean, it sparkles, it shines, and we like that!!

Room Tip: Seaside rooms overlooking the water are premium priced, but, well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mikeyflowerguy
Arizona
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We got an oceanview room and weren't disappointed! The morning sunrise was spectacular. The staff is busy and pleasant. The room is large, comfortable, and clean. I mark it down primarily because of the towels. They feel like they've been dragged through the sand with the large rake that they use to groom the shore in the morning! Ugh! Also, the breakfast is just so-so but it's hot and includes a lot of variety.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank RevuR
Cheyenne Wy.
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed for 5 night last week--Feb 15-20. We had a ocean view king--It was great. Awesome view off of the patio was so relaxing--both for coffee in the morning and a drink in the evening. They said it was sold out, however it seemed as if no one was around??? The lady who served breakfast was a little grumpy but other that that, we had no problems at all.
So many great restaurants in the area--Lazy Days, Green Turtle Inn, Island Grill just to name a few.
I will be staying again and would recommend to my friends.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank avinwyo
Wakefield, Rhode Island
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Chesapeake Beach Resort has a fabulous website that invited us to stay at this fun and colorful resort. However, once we arrived, we quickly realized that Chesapeake's heyday has passed by a few decades. But it was great just the same. As long as a place is clean and not gross, I never mind if it has been around for awhile. And you can't beat their little horse-shoe-shaped lagoon with massive palm trees and groomed sand.

We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite with no ocean view, room 301. It as clean and nice, but dark and lacking modern conveniences like, oh, outlets and shelves in the bathroom. There was a full kitchen, really nice colors and décor, and a pull out sofa in addition to the two separate queens. Two flat-screen TVs, tall ceilings, and all the soap-shampoo-goodies. When we first walked into the room, however, someone had left the A/C blowing all day so, no lie, it was about 50 degrees. Now us Rhode Islanders are used to the cold after our freezing winter, but seriously? I want to be sweaty hot at will for $320 a night (just one control on the wall -no modern unit). After being told I was playing with the settings too much and it needed to cycle, and that was why it wasn't warm enough, the maintenance man walked in, said, "Nah, this isn't cold," and moved the thermostat up to max while still in A/C mode. No heat ever kicked on. "Oh, okay. Thanks." I shut it off and opened windows and just dealt with it. At least it was nice to sleep to, but it never really got above 65 or so. But it was yet another place in South Florida that was ridiculously overpriced with very little concern for my family's comfort. When I went to get pool towels at the front desk, the front desk person was trying to check new guests while telling someone else on the phone that she couldn't help them right now (explained why no one picked up when I called about pool towels). "Well, something's got to give!" she said. Um, maybe hire another person during rush? Oh, and while I'm ranting, $18 a day for a "Resort Fee" is laughable.

But I'm being nit-picky. We enjoyed our stay. Chesapeake has a lot of charm, and the views of the ocean were spectacular. Warm breeze in my face, my fam playing on the hammock, pelicans surfing the wind, nice guests. It was great. There are two pools, both nice and warm. Most of the staff were nice and accommodating. The grounds were just as immaculate as the rooms. The morning sunrise was the best, with lots of hot and cold breakfast choices at the free breakfast. No restaurant, but there are many restaurants all around Islamorada.

So overall, I thought the value would be much better at around $200 a night instead of over three, but we had fun and it was nice. I would recommend Chesapeake to other families.

Room Tip: Room 301 has some quirky features, and they tell you that when you book the room. There is no ocean...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family