“Diamond in the sand”

Sands of Islamorada Hotel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This place was the BEST PART of my recent visit to the keys ! I never imagined what was hiding behind the curb appeal of the pets are Welcome Sign .. Looks like a time capsule of old florida charm .. The Manager showed me the space and i was hooked ..Built in 1942... This place has recently been tastefully redone and no expense was spared.. Great Beds , Great Showers, Cold Air, Hot Tub and Pool ...Beautiful Landscaping, Nice Furniture , I could Go On !! Please dont Hesitate to check these Folks Out

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank MarkOatsvall

Reviewed 13 June 2011

My fiance and I came down for a three day fishing trip unaware as where to stay. We found a motel up the road about 5 miles that was absolutely horrible! After calling a couple of places recommended by people who had previously stayed, we found the Sands. We were met by manager Kathy and her husband who were very welcoming, helpful and understanding of our situation. She was quick to show us a room before we made a decision and pointed out a little about the property thus allowing us to draw our own opinion. I was able to make a decision very quickly this was where we were going to stay.
We had our dogs with us this trip which my fiance and I soon found out was difficult to accommodate at other places. When explained, Kathy stated "we don't shun them we embrace them." and to me that made me feel very comfortable. The place had a very cozy, old keys style feel, but with some modern upgrades and outstanding views. My dogs played in the ocean for hours and we had no problems at all. There was use of a kayak (at no extra cost) and a nice little beach at the end of the drive, two grills, a hot tub (which was hot) and a clean pool.
As far as I am concerned Kathy and her husband have made this little hotel a nice place to visit and stay, whether it is for one day or a week. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to get a away from everything. We even booked a year in advance to stay again!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bnh267
Reviewed 8 June 2011

we first booked into a hotel a few miles from here, where we were not very happy at all as it was too commercialised, we prefer small and cosy, which this place certainly is! we were much happier when we moved here , the rooms were very clean and the pool and hot tub were lovely, also only 50 yards or so to the sea, with a boat ramp.
the managers are very friendly, and all in all I would recomend this place to anyone. we will be returning

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DianeHullEngland
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My family (me, wife, and 19 year old son) stayed here for 3 days while fishing offshore, then drove down to Key West, then back for another 4 days, and another day of great fishing (book a trip with Paul and Hal aboard the Reef Runner out of Whale Harbor http://www.reefrunnerfishing.com/ if you get a chance. We caught 40 dolphin, 5 tuna, 1 wahoo and a great time!) We loved the "Old Keys" feel of this quaint Atlantic side hotel. Bob and Kathy are very personable and you will feel like you are old friends. They made us feel at home right away. They also work very hard to keep the grounds and rooms in great shape. You will love all the little critters too! Hand feed the squirrels, talk to Tela and Dolly...the Parrots, enjoy all the lush, beautiful landscaping, flowers, etc. Very clean rooms with all the little things that make it even nicer. Bob and Kathy truly went the extra mile for us. This is a pet friendly place, but all the pets were well supervised and just added to the experience. The pool and hot tub were perfect temp, and very clean as well.
If you are looking for a 5 star, stuffy, expensive, resort type place this is not for you.
If you are looking for a wonderful, old style, laid back, clean place on the water, where the owners will treat you like family...then relax and ENJOY!! With all the extras offered...you can really save money too! You can take the kayak out, fish off the dock, grill out (both charcoal and gas grills on the docks) and walk to many great restuarants and bars.
THINK PINK!! :)
Thank you Bob and Kathy!!
Eric, Shenia, and Steven -

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank elee67
Reviewed 5 May 2011

This is the kind of quaint "Old Florida" hotel that barely exists anywhere anymore. It is clean, quaint, quiet, friendly, and perfectly located. I can not imagine a better place for a low-stress getaway. The patio, hot tub, boat ramp, and dock are all excellent. Beautiful natural surroundings, wildlife, and pet friendly. I took my kayak, bike, and my little fishing boat, and just unwound. Its convenient to the famous Bud and Mary's Marina by land and water. I really look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ISail_South
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We stayed two nights and the room smelled heavily of mold and there was mold on the ceiling above the bed. A used shampoo bottle was left in the bathroom. Dogs were running loose and doing their business in the sand. I like dogs a lot but loose/unfamilair dogs visiting us on our "private porch" at breakfast was just not appreciated. Very nice scenery but the place needs more TLC and upkeep.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank key53449
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Lovely spot on the south side of Islamorada. I'd characterize the Sands as a small, boutique hotel with all the extras thrown in. Pool, spa, pier for sunrise coffee and fishing. While it's right on US 1, I never heard the traffic. The room was lovely and clean and well-air conditioned. Minutes from great dinner and sport fishing locations.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina
Pelican Cove Resort & Marina
Pelican Cove Resort & Marina
#5 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Sands of Islamorada Hotel? Share your experiences!