“Very nice but needs work!”

Sands of Islamorada Hotel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

OK, first the positive: The place is very quaint. The grounds are nice with beautiful views of the Atlantic. The rooms are tiny but very clean. Rooms 18 and 19 were the best with wrap around patios with hammocks and chairs. The staff is helpful and friendly. The pool spacious and clean, and the jacuzzi, except for sand in the bottom, likewise.

The negative: Internet was not available in the rooms. The grounds need upkeep, eg, painting the outside fences, cleaning the chairs, etc. The rooms, though clean, needed work. Our room, 19, had holes in the wall in the bathroom, the shower backed up all the time and the toilet needed at least two flushes, sometimes three. Lightbulbs were missing from the lamps so we took them from the outside lamps. Our room was forty minutes late with no explanation. At $175.00 a night (which was discounted) plus taxes and fees, not a great value.

So: All in all, a nice place but unless the price goes down, I would not return. Also, get the rooms near the sea (19 and 18). The other rooms are close to the highway and to all the traffic.

Room Tip: Rooms 18 and 19 are the best.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chefbobbydesab

A TripAdvisor Member
Saint Francisville, Louisiana
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

When first pulling in I thought, I messed up. BUT, after entering, accommodations were incredible. The staff was friendly and courteous. The suite was spotless and beautifully appointed. Tropical vegetation, Tropical birds flourished. The pool and hot tub included for ones pleasure. We spent the first night at Breezy Palms, directly next door. It paled by comparison. It had warm rooms, dead and plastic plants and unfriendly staff. Do yourself a favor and stay at The Sands of Islamorada. They are also pet friendly.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed here for one night on the way to Key West. It was an older location. The room was simple and clean. This hotel was good for a night passing through but I don't think I'd want to stay here too long.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Matthew B
Reviewed 15 June 2014

After much research on Tripadvisor, we decided on this motel for our spring break trip to the Florida Keys. The rates were on the lower end for this area and time of year. The staff was extremely friendly and attentive. The room we booked for 4 nights was basic, but clean and well maintained. It was a great base for our exploration of the Keys. The property is quite small and a bit hard to find since the sign is very small. These are very small issues and offset by the reasonable price and friendly family ownership. This is certainly a great option for families looking to visit the Keys and not pay Key West prices.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank tknopf
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We booked 8 nights here. It was awesome. We had reserved expectations based on some of the rooms but those were quickly dispersed once Yeny showed us to our first room (15). It was a very quaint and clean room with all the amenities necessary for a great stay. Yeny and Alex were very attentive, friendly and helpful.

Yeny and Alex have not even owned the property a year yet and they are constantly working to improve the location. I joked with Alex that he needs a vacation. I cannot wait to see this location in a year or two if Yeny and Alex stay diligent with their efforts.

It is an older hotel and with that has some quirks. Due to Yeny scheduling a roof repair of their units we were moved (by Yeny and Alex after chatting with us) to room 18. WOW!! it is much bigger but only a queen bed. It is closer to the water and has a deck. It was heaven to sit out on the deck at night drinking a nice adult beverage and watching the ocean.

Yes the plumbing in room 18 was less than desirable. We had to double flush but the plumbing is 40 years old...and guess what, there is current activity to move the location to city sewer. This will alleviate that issue once the city sewer is finished. The water is not the best to wade into and such. It is clean, but the ocean floor right there is not a beach. It has some vegetation. If you want a beach you can travel a short distance down the road to Anne's beach. However, you can take a kayak and travel out a bit to some nice areas to snorkel.

I gave it a 4 out of 5, as I know there can be some improvements (which I have all the faith in Alex completing). I am hoping to go back again soon to Islamorada and we will look here for availability first. The WIFI did not work. I could see it from room 15 but it was a weak signal and never worked. I could not even see the SSID from Room 18, but not a big issue. We had our phones and enough data usage to use that as a hot spot. I am sure they are working to improve that as well.

We really felt Yeny and Alex were able to give us that personal touch and provide a clean and comfortable room for us to relax in after our day adventures. We are already talking to another couple about returning to this area and will be calling Yeny first. :)

Room Tip: Room 15 had a King Size bed and was a nice room. TV was very small for the room and hung on the wal...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeff M
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This property is in need of substantial improvement if it is to live up to its billing as a "resort hotel." When we arrived in Room #13, we found insects on the walls, on the air conditioner, and mosquitoes flying around. Their wi-fi was down, and Yeny said that their Comcast services doesn't always work. Although the room is said to be non-smoking, there was a table right outside the door with an ashtray on it, and Yeny's husband acknowledged that people do smoke outside the room.

Inside the room, the walls were cracked in several places. The room was also quite dusty and had not been thoroughly cleaned. The electrical outlets were so loose that when I plugged in my tablet, the plug would fall right out. As another reviewer noted, the toilet is quite small, as is the whole bathroom. The air conditioner hangs right over the bed.

We were supposed to stay here for five nights, but due to the unsatisfactory condition of the room, we had to leave after the first night. We spoke to Yeny at length to express our concerns and request a cancellation of the remainder of our booking, but she refused to cancel it.

This hotel is also quite unresponsive at returning phone calls. I had attempted to call to confirm my reservation a week before my trip. I needed to contact Booking.com to have their agents confirm my booking. Due to my inability to get through, I had seriously considered canceling my booking, which in hindsight, I probably should have.

In conclusion, I would only say: DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank Philip M
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This property, mid-way down the Keys, is worthy of consideration. As the other reviewers highlighted, the property managers, really go the extra mile to ensure that you are welcome. Meeting Yeny is like meeting a friend that you have not seen in a while.

We stayed in room #13, and it was very much as I expected from reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. It is dated, but it was very clean and the rooms were spacious and almost like having a small apartment.

The managers pay attention to the little things that make your stay pleasing. When you have traveled a lot and stayed in elegant, average, and poor rooms, you notice the little things. For instance, the towels were new and fluffy, and the bathroom tissue and facial tissue were quality items. In fact, I think the facial tissue was softer and stronger than what we use at home. The bedding was also very nice.

While this is not a real complaint, if it were my property, I would replace the toilet, and turn it 90 degrees so that it was not so close to the sink. And yes, get one with an oblong bowel, not the old fashioned round ones that are not good for men.

The beach area, dock, and pool area were in excellent shape. If I could choose a room, it would be #18, or #19 which face the ocean and the dock area. I spoke to a couple staying in #18 and they simply loved it. The porch and covered deck area with patio furniture is really nice. They were spending several nights in that room. But, I would be fine in #13 where we stayed.

It is a good value when you consider the prices at the newer properties. I was happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Get room #18 if you can.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fourteener
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#3 of 19 in Islamorada
Chesapeake Beach Resort
Chesapeake Beach Resort
#14 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Sands of Islamorada Hotel? Share your experiences!