“The best of the 'Keys-Kind-of-Feeling'!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Best of Both Worlds
Ranked #9 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
“The best of the 'Keys-Kind-of-Feeling'!”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

From booking to departure, I am so glad we chose Best of Both Worlds to stay at on the Keys. We were looking for a private rental/B&B place that wasn't overcrowded, and got an amazing value and a relaxing stay. Here's the breakdown:

Booking: I received a reply from my email inquiry within a few hours and had all my questions answered and accurate quote given. This was great since we were booking a little last minute.

Value: At $135/night, we had a large cottage (one room, but very spacious) to ourselves that had huge glass sliding doors opening up to the ocean. You just don't find that many places! Private bathroom and a full kitchen (stove, kitchenware, fridge, plates, etc). If you don't want to cook inside, you can cook on one of about four grills on the property. There is a washer/dryer on site, but currently is coin operated ($1.50/load). Very convenient to throw suits/towels into.

Rooms: There are a few options for rooms - I can't speak to the others, but I am partial to the cottage - great for couples, since it's pretty spacious with one big bed. There is a TV with cable, but we only used it while cooking for background noise. As a warning, the smoke alarm is sensitive - use the fan when cooking anything like bacon. Though, we did feel good knowing it worked! There is an air conditioner in the unit that worked well and a large fan if needed. Additionally, there is WIFI that was reliable and easy to access.

Extras: On top of the room, there are also kayaks, bicycles, snorkeling gear, and boats that you can use for free! It was very refreshing not to be nickel-and-dimed for everything (especially after we had spent a few days in Miami). I am a wimp with seaweed, so having watershoes I could use was a nice bonus! We went kayaking in the two-person kayak and got to see pufferfish as well as a stingray when we went a little down the ways into a shallow area.

Hosts: Kevin and Dana were our very gracious and friendly hosts. I believe they just purchased the place, but are very knowledgeable about the Keys and the area. Kevin even offered to take us out on one of the boats for sunset, but unfortunately it got a little too choppy and cloudy for it. They gave us great recommendations for animal activities (rescue sites and marine parks) as well as the best breakfast in town.

Location: The place is set back about 1/2 mile from the road, waterfront, and very secluded for a private feeling. At most, there are 8 people at any given time (cottage, house, and efficiency rental), so it never feels like you have no privacy or are crowded in on. They are also pet-friendly.

I can't really say enough about the place! It's not five-star luxury, but very clean, very friendly, and very fun, which is exactly what we wanted in the keys. Can't wait to come back again!

Room Tip: I personally love the cottage that is spacious and glass doors open up to ocean-view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This was our first time in the FL Keys. We stayed at the house. It's a great place to stay and Linda is really awesome and makes you feel right at home! The grounds are absolutely beautiful and safe. It's not modern or fancy and you don't have television, but there is WIFI, you have the Florida Bay, BEAUTIFUL sunsets, kayaking, snorkeling, sailing(very reasonable rates for sailing), and probably one of the best views that you could ask for at a GREAT value! It's also quiet, and CLEAN!!!! You are not far from shopping and restaurants. We really loved it and plan to return the same time next year!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
ohio
Reviewed 9 March 2013

This is a wonderful Keys experience- great location just south of Islamorada in central Keys; very nice old style Keys accommodations; peaceful with great view of water and sunset-and Linda is a great proprietress. There are several different size lodgings and they have all kinds of stuff to make your vacation easy (kayaks, inner tubes, bikes, grills, coolers.etc.)-so you don;t have to worry about over packing or leaving something behind. VERY laid back. My only critiques: 1- bikes not in very good shape 2-we were there is a real cold spell (high 40s at night) and there is no heat- but we used oven to warm place up just fine 3- the house rental has really bad water pressure in the shower (I checked with the other guests and the other units seem to be fine). This is really a great romantic place to enjoy the Keys!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This was my husband and i's second time staying here and we loved it! The first time we stayed in the cottage by ourselves and this time we rented the house and invited my mother in law and brother in law. It's a very charming property with old Florida lodging that is kept very clean. I didn't say anything to my host because I wasn't terribly bothered by it but I did find a piece of chewed gum on the rug moments after we arrived so I know it wasn't from us, otherwise I would have given 5 stars for cleanliness. A note for families or non couples is that this house is listed as sleeping 5 but that meant for max comfort my brother in law had to share a king bed with his mom and my husband and I stayed in the other divided off room area which has another king bed. There is only one private bedroom and it Strangely has a whole in the wall covered by a curtain. The bed in the pull out wasn't fit for sleeping on. Al that said the value is amazing. They have bikes and kayaks and snorkel equipment that you can use. I loved cooking the food that we brought from home In the kitchen and using the grill. Linda, the hosts very pleasant and easygoing. She wants you to have an excellent and relaxing time. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2013
North Port, Florida
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Our stay for three nights was in the townhouse. It was clean and roomy...although a bit out dated. We wern't there to live, just needed a place to bathe and sleep Mike and Linda who care for and run the place are very accomodating and friendly. Mike took us sailing at sunset and gave us a quick lesson on how to sail...it was very relaxing and beautiful at sunset. ... Keys Diving is just four miles north and great people to spend the day with!, there is also a "beach" called Annes beach about a mile or so south that had covered picnic tables and bathrooms...Robbies Hungry Tarpon has awesome breakfast and dinner best food we had in the keys so far!!!! During the day they have outdoor vendors and Kayak rental which we did...beautiful trip through the mangroves and we even seen the croc! This part of the keys is as of right now my favorite, centrally located and lots to see and do and shop! Also make sure you stop at Publix in Key Largo or WinnDixie in Tavernier. Gas is also cheaper in Key Largo. Overall we had a relaxing stay at Best of Both Worlds and would go back again.

Room Tip: They own one townhouse in the complex,and next door the cottage and house are "old florida"...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank floridabeaches4me
Diedorf, Bayern, Germany
Reviewed 4 January 2012

If you are looking for a place that's affordable but apart from the usual stereotype motels this is it. Everytime I think about it, the song Don't worry be happy by Bobby McFerrin comes to my mind and I wish I could be there again. We are a family of 5 from Germany and we stayed there for a few days in December of 2011. We all loved the Carribean flair that surrounds this place. It reminded me of those Bacardi rum commercials showing happy people on a beautiful beach. The place is just totally relaxing and peaceful. We had rented the big house, where we felt very comfortable. It was clean and airy with a full sized kitchen, where we cooked some of the seafood we had bought during our outings. In the evening you just wanted to sit and watch the sun set. Mike and Linda, the couple who runs the place, are wonderful people and helpful in every way. One evening, when we ran out of wine, I just mentioned it to Mike, and a few minutes later, he was there with a bottle to help us out. When we couldn't crack the stone crabs that we had bought, he showed us a little trick how to do it. In a very short time it felt as if we had known them for years and they were good friends. When we finally had to leave again we all wished we could have stayed longer. Mike and Linda, watch out, we will be back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank klausie23
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed a few nights and I can only recommend Mike & Linda cottage. Clean, quiet, convenient and ideally located.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
Pines and Palms Resort
#1 of 11 in Islamorada
Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost
Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina

Been to Best of Both Worlds? Share your experiences!