“Older hotel but still a good value”

Harbor Lights Motel
Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Florida
“Older hotel but still a good value”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Hotel is older and it shows, rust spots, cracked tiles, etc. If that bothers you, don't go there. The rooms have some updates done but lack others, bathroom is clean, TV and fridge in room, bed was pretty old however, it squeaked with any movement and the springs are worn. As my luck would have it the night we stayed was the start of lobster season and at 3 am a boat was being off loaded, not sure whether the office knew since the boat ramp is supposed to be open from 8am to 8pm. The in wall AC unit was pretty loud and it makes sleeping hard. I found it humorous how resourceful they are with the toilet paper, hole in the wall? Put a wad of toilet paper to plug it up. Missing plate from electric outlet? Put a wad of toilet paper to covert it up. Shower curtain rod not long enough? Put a wad of TP to help it, I'm surprised they didn't put a wad of TP under the AC unit to cover the hole between the unit and the wall.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Davidccs87
HarborLightsMotel, Manager at Harbor Lights Motel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for the recent review!

We are so very sorry for the noise. Lobster season can be crazy, and as much as we try to enforce our rules, there are always some guests that take advantage!

Todd Chandler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Ok so I have traveled all over the world. Decided to come to isla morada for some relaxation. Upon check in which was 3pm. They alerted me my room was not yet ready. So at 730pm they called me and said I could finally check in. I asked if there was a discount she said she was calling and calling my phone. When I showed her my phone with the time she pushed it away and said "I know what time I called". Rude as ever! The locks never worked on my door. Had to prop a chair behind it To keep it closed. They never sent anyone to fix it. Dirty sheets... Dirty carpet... Dirty bathrooms... Will never ever stay here again!! Do not book this hotel unless you want a night of horrors!!!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Peter G
We are so very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

We can assure you (and future guests) that our rooms are clean and the linens are fresh! We are sorry that you felt there were problems with the lock, but had we known which room or had we been notified of any problems, we would have fixed them immediately!

Todd & Becky

Travellers are raving about these Islamorada hotels

Reviewed 25 July 2013

This is the worst place to stay. Starting with the administration !!!! These two people Todd and his wife are very unfriendly, racist with hispanics and also Thieves.
Don't waste your time coming to this disgusting motel, all the rooms are old, and dirty.
And these two don't deserve to have clients.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank alejandrp30
We obviously had to ask this guest to leave the property for some reason or another.

We are just sorry that they are still allowed to post a negative review.

Todd Chandler
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Good experience for the second time! Management had changed but the rooms were still the same! 2queen beds although I would believe they might have been big twin size! Good stay for one night on travel purpose! Bar across the road had easy food, excellent staff and a nice game playing for us. Pool was heated by the sunlight. Will be back and mostly because of the cleaning ladies who made you feel at home

• Stayed June 2013
HarborLightsMotel, General Manager at Harbor Lights Motel, responded to this review, 6 July 2013
Chantal,

Thank you so much for the great review. We do have a great staff, and we are glad they made your stay special!

We have been here over four years now! Time has flew by these last few years!

Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon!

Todd & Becky Chandler
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Don't stay here!!! Rooms were infested with bugs and mold, and horrible horrible customer service! Totally disrespectful and careless owners who have no business being in the hospitality industry! Not even worth the price! Nothing is worth the treatment we received and the disgusting conditions they expected us to sleep in. STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS DUMP!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank seeny06
We are very sorry you felt that your stay was sub par. The pictures show a cracked tile, and what looks like some dirt that you may have tracked into the room! If we knew what room you were in or if you had mentioned it to us while you were here, we would have had it corrected immediately! We think that you maybe left this information out on purpose so that we could not identify you and respond with more detail. We honestly feel from your hateful comments that there might be more to the story.

We would like to take the time to remind the readers that this is a 70 year old 2.5 star hotel. It is located directly on the Atlantic Ocean. It is not perfect. Occasionally, there is a broken tile or a rust spot. The overwhelming majority of our guests understand what an incredible deal is to stay in the Keys in a clean and comfortable room with a direct ocean view starting at less than $100. Because of the high volume of people we have stay here, we do run across some "bad apples" or people that think they booked a 5 star resort for $89. We strive hard to please everyone, but sometimes this is a great challenge. We understand that the majority of the Florida Keys and this property might not be for everyone.

We are very sorry you felt that your stay was not up to standards. We are eager to show you that we do care, and hope you give us another chance to shine!

Port Orange, Florida, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Stayed in May 2013 - When I reserved the room I asked if they were pet friendly. I was assured they were. When I checked in I was told the dog could not go on the beach and I had to walk him in the grass by the highway. At 10:00 pm, someone knocked on my door. My dog started barking. When I answered the door, a women was there (I think one of the owners) and told me that she had heard the dog barking. I told her it was because she knocked on the door. Whe insisted that she had heard him before. I told her that was impossible since we were asleep. She was very rude. The room was horrible. The door didn't close all the way and the beds were like sleeping on straw - crunched every time you moved. Stay away from this one.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Janice H
HarborLightsMotel, General Manager at Harbor Lights Motel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We want to mention that we are a pet friendly hotel, and we absolutely adore animals. We do consider our own golden retriever as part of our family, yet we also know that many people do not have pets and that we have to have rules that apply for the enjoyment of all.

Of course we cannot allow pets to be "walked" on our beach area. There are plenty of grass potty areas near the property for the convenience of our 4 legged friends. We also have a strict rule of not leaving the pets unattended in the rooms no matter how brief. Little Franky the dachshund might be perfectly quiet at home, yet when left alone in a strange hotel room for hours at a time dogs often bark incessantly. Obviously, this can be quite the disturbance for surrounding guests, which may have been the case with your dog. We cannot tell you how many times people would just pop out for an hour or two for food or drink, and their dogs bark the entire time they are gone from the room. No one can relax in that environment! For the safety and sanity of all our guests, we have to enforce these rules.

We do love dogs!

Sunrise, Florida
Reviewed 19 June 2013

NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!Getting in the room the carpets were disgusting,big stains on the chairs, wall had a streak of blood on it,walls are cracked and there was a huge gap between the air-conditioner wall unit and the wall so it was letting bugs in. My friend and I had been bit numerous times while in the room! The doors don't close behind you so if your not careful and slam it the door stays open and anyone can walk in. We discovered this after taking a nap and realized the door had been open the whole time! Non of this compares to the fact the owner and his wife are INSANE!! This was a trip for my 29th bday. We were hardly in the room at all (thank god). We had this room booked for 2 nights we got in Friday and were in the room a little over an hour for a nap then left for dinner and came back and went to sleep. Saturday we got up went to breakfast then were out in the water all day came back to get ready and went out. Upon returning to our room around 1030 we decided to grill up some meat ON THE BBQ'S THEY PROVIDE!! There were no stipulations on how late you can use them.The owner came yelling (and when I say yelling I mean where he was so loud his voice was cracking) towards us. Let me explain something we were not out there being drunk and belligerent at all WE DONT DRINK. I am an adult not a 21 year old kid down having a drunk fest. Mind you there were people out there until almost 4 am the night before being loud in the pool. As soon as he came up we were very calmly (it was late we actually have respect for the other people in the motel, which he obviously does not) trying to figure out what the problem was and kept saying we would put it out but he just kept screaming.He was literally inches away from my friends face screaming at HER. She said she was actually scared he was going to hit her! He told us we had 15 min to pack our stuff up and leave his property or he would call the police and have us ARRESTED FOR TRESPASSING!!!! I have never in my life experienced something like this I could not believe it was happening it felt like hidden cameras should come from behind places and say just kidding your on punked! As we were walking away he actually said this was not a democracy, well yes sir it is we live in the United States of America! He also just kept laughing and screaming as we were walking saying good luck trying to find another place to stay everything on the island is booked! As we were leaving his wife was standing at the bottom of the stairs watching us and taking pictures of us like we were criminals!! I own my own business and my friend is a paralegal! We ended up having to drive 2 hours home which was extremely dangerous because we both have terrible night vision. I wish I would have looked at other reviews before booking because on our drive home we actually looked up all the different sites (hotels.com,etc) and there were other reviews of the owner being crazy! In ALL the other reviews he actually tried blaming it on the people. Now they may not all be completely accurate but when you have a reoccurring thing I think it can be concluded not everyone can be lying! BE WARE DO NOT STAY HERE!!! If its the cheapest place in town spend the few extra dollars somewhere else trust me!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Brittany K
As promised, this lady is slamming us. We are so very happy to have this forum, as there are always two sides to every story. There are certain facts that have been conveniently omitted from her account of events.

First, this party was told earlier in the evening (in a very nice and quiet way) that we do not allow open fires in Islamorada. We noticed them gathering wood earlier in the evening, and told them at that time that fires were not permitted on property. After they waited until the office was closed late in the evening, they proceeded to start a very large fire anyway, just a few steps away from a row of docked boats. When we went out the first time to ask them nicely to put it out, we were asked "what are you, the fire police or something?" Several more reasonable attempts were made to have them extinguish the fire, to no avail. They actually just stood there and giggled until we threatened police removal.

Of course I was upset and shaking with fury! We are entrusted with the safety and security of ALL our guests at the property. I am floored that these people are now claiming to be the victims, and that they were the ones acting rational. Lighting a huge fire ten feet from docked boats after they were explicitly told not to earlier that evening is absolutely a cause for ejection. We had to call the police and have them removed from the property.

We find it very disheartening that reviews such as this are used for retribution. We are fortunate that the overwhelming majority of our guests have a safe, pleasant and comfortable stay at the property. We find it interesting that the room was perfectly fine the night before the bonfire, but now that they were thrown out of the hotel everything was bad from day one.

Todd & Becky Chandler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina
Drop Anchor Resort
Drop Anchor Resort
#3 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Harbor Lights Motel? Share your experiences!