Very disappointed. Got to Topsider at about 2PM on Saturday to check-in. Room wasn't ready so clerk asked me to come back in an hour which was not a problem since went grocery shopping for the week. Upon returning (bout 430) the key was left in an envelope and I never saw any staff again the rest of the week, except for the maintenance man, who according to the check in instructions we were not to contact with any questions since all requests had to go through the office. I left a message in the box on the first night that the modem did not work and never got a response.
Other reviews mentioned the loud AC. It was loud but biggest complaint was the note saying do not turn AC below 75 degrees otherwise it will freeze and they will not fix it and we would be left without AC for the week. It is the Florida Keys and get hot so disappointed that AC wasn't working. They also mention that the units are poorly insulated right in their welcoming paper work.
The cleanliness of the unit also left something to be desired as the sheets and towels had many stains on them. Though the sheets looked clean it was a little disturbing sleeping on red stained sheets.
While all of these situations made for a bad trip, what caused me to leave after 3 nights and pay for a hotel for the remainder of the week were mosquitoes.The first 2 nights I had some mosquitoes in the bathroom and bedroom. Sprayed some bug killer and hoped that would help. It didn't. the third night i wasn't covered by the sheet. Woke up at 330 with my feet covered in bites. At least 50 bites all over my feet and was up for hours. In the morning saw mosquitoes all around the unit. Never left the front door open but mosquitoes invaded the unit. Decided that rather than continue in these conditions to eat the cost of the unit and go pay hundreds to stay somewhere else for the rest of the week.
It's a shame since the other guests were very very pleasant and the units are nicely situated for privacy. The grounds were also well kept. However due to the lack of response from the non-existent staff and horrible sleeeping conditions I would recommend looking elsewhere for a trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Topsider consists of 20 fully furnished octagon shaped stilt homes nestled in a lush tropical setting facing the bay. Each unit has two bedrooms, two baths, living room and a full kitchen. Downstairs you have your own storage/laundry room with a full size washer and dryer. HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS IN EVERY UNIT On site there is a heated swimming pool, Jacuzzi, tennis court and two shuffle board courts. There is a play ground area with swings and slide for the kids. Bicycles as well as kayaks and canoes are also here ready for your enjoyment! Topsider has its own boat ramp that guest can use at no charge. Of course we can't forget Topsider's famous pier. This "T" shaped pier jets out into the bay 180 feet giving those with boats plenty of room for docking and those who don't a great place to fish from. It's also the perfect place for everyone to enjoy those fabulous Florida Keys sunsets. So please take a moment to explore the site and see all the wonderful things that are available to you here at Topsider and the Florida Keys. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Topsider Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Topsider Hotel Islamorada
- Topsider Resort Islamorada, Florida - Florida Keys