“Perfect Place in the Florida Keys”

Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Long Island
“Perfect Place in the Florida Keys”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

It is now known as the Postcard Inn at Holiday Isle, and its a great place for family and fun. This was the first time my husband and I traveled to the Keys and I can honestly say we made the absolute correct choice with the Postcard Inn at Holiday Isle, and Islamorada. It has everything at this location and this Key.

First, the renovations to the place was done very nicely. I heard from a person whom I met on a fishing trip, who has been vacationing in the Keys for over 40 years, that this was a hell-hole before the renovations.

The establishment is 14 or 16 acres wide, not long. If you've traveled to the Keys you know what I mean. For those who never, most of the hotels are long (distance from the road to the ocean:west to east) and the front of the hotels are not well kept. This establishment is wide (running north to south) and the front entrance was nice and open, not cluttered. I mention this because there were several buildings which were all spread out. The main building, where check in takes place, has five floors and is in the middle of the property facing the ocean, the second building which is next to the marina (south end) has three floors, the third building is to the north and has two floors, then there is the El Capitan area, also the north section, which houses several buildings which are all ground level. This area was not yet renovated. Very rustic, but nice. But, I do hope they get rid of the old rugs and replace them with bare floors. This section has kitchens and eating areas.

Now, I know all this sounds like you have to walk forever to get from one end to the other, but it really is not the case. Anyway, there are at least five different eateries/bars placed all throughout, and most importantly, there are bathrooms, clean bathrooms, all throughout the property.

Two pools: the larger one is situated next to the ocean and the second one is next to the two-story building on the north side. Actually, both pools are closer to the north side of the property.

Our room was nice and clean, with a blue and white color scheme. Beds were great, with nice sheets and pillows. The A/C unit is all up to date. No wall to wall rugs, which was smart...no mold or mildew smell. Bathroom was clean and a good size. Internet worked, but a little static every once in awhile. They has rooms with kitchens for those who need them.

Staff is absolutely wonderful, especially Glinda and Ayo. The ladies were genuinely kind and sincere, not that phony hotel worker type. Every time I walked around there was someone cleaning. They clean non-stop. 6:00 in the morning, when I was on the beach to watch the sun rise, the gentlemen were out there cleaning and raking the beach.

The beaches were in sections, and all well kept. Because it is a wide property hotel, there is enough room for everyone without that over-crowed feeling.

I mentioned that this was the perfect Key as well. It is the third Key in from the north. We flew into Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International, and took us less than two hours to get there (from Miami its one hour). The area restaurants are great...we dined at Morada Bay (very romantic spot...dinner on the beach...great view), Lazy Days (make reservations or you get seated by the window which faces the entrance/parking lot) and Lori-e-Lei's (typical Key restaurant with good food and great entertainment). It was about 1.5 hours to 2 hours to Key West. Which is a nice one day trip. To tell you the truth, to me, Key West is over-rated. The only thing that Key West has that Islamorada does not is a schooner sail boat. There are at least five marinas filled with all the boats you want for fishing...gift shops, bakeries, CVS, bowling ally, and a park or two for the kiddies. Founder's park is a nice place.

Fishing: at least five different marina's in Islamorada. By the way, for all those who are interested in fishing, but are asking, what do I do with the fish I catch...area restaurants will cook it for you for a nominal fee or you can just give it away. I have to mention this, because where I come from party boat trips are a little different. On Long Island, NY the price includes everything...fishing fee, bait, tackle and rod. In the Keys, the price pays for the fishing fee, bait and tackle, you need to pay extra for the rod ($5) and on Long Island placement on the boat is first come first serve. In the Keys they charge you ($5) for a space in the back of the boat and sides near the back. So, if you plan to go fishing and want the back of the boat, call ahead and make reservations. The back fills up quickly.

Rentals: you can rent all the water sport equipment you want at the resort or around town.

But, I will place this warning for all New Yorkers who love bagels, we were hosed at a bakery down the road. Two plain bagels for $6, yes, $6. Eat the local food, its great!

Tips: We stopped at Homestead, a town just before entering the Keys, and stopped in a Dollar Tree (in a plaza right off highway 95) and filled up on supplies. Dollar Tree has everything and everything is $1. We stocked up on water, soda, sun-block, dish washing liquid, cookies, etc. The only thing they do not have is fresh food. You learn how to save money when you have three kids.

I gave the Postcard Inn 4 out of a 5 because they are still renovating and I do not know how the final product is going to be. Also, because I was able to find a great rate...$145 total (tax and resort fee) for a king classic. If the rates were in the $200 level, this review may be a little different. So check the internet for deals. Do your research, I did and had a great vacation.

Room Tip: Most of the action is on the south end, so if you are looking for a quiet night sleep ask for the no...
1 Thank BBChin
cruiseking15, General Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Thank you for your kind and VERY thorough review. You coveredevery aspect of Postcard Inn in great detail. We are proud of neewly renovated resort and our staff members are equal to any in the keys for genuine service and a caring attitude. Hope to see you again soon!

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
Christiansburg
Reviewed 27 January 2012

The changes made to Holiday Isle Resort (Post Card Inn at Holiday Isle) are evident when entering the property. My family and I stay at Holiday Isle Marina every year the full month of January. The cosmetic improvements are just the beginning of the changes. The view behind the Marina looking over the ocean is post card perfect. Gathering areas have been extended throughout the property. The Marina staff is knowledgable of the area and eager to accomodate guests needs. Specifically, Kat Harper, Dock Master. She has been accomodating and most helpful for the many years I have been staying at the Marina and now has been provided the resources to make our stay even more enjoyable. The previous owners had allowed the property to decay over the years and the location was the deciding factor when making my choice where to stay. Now, our family has a beautiful pool, and gorgeous views and gathering areas. It is now a resort for the whole family to enjoy.

Room Tip: We stay at the Marina and our room is our boat. Our view is the Atlantic Ocean.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Thank youfor your complimentary review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you have been a loyal guest for a number of years. Our recently completed renoavation has made a huge difference, but what makes Postcard Inn great is our staff like Kat who have been here for years know and love the area and enjoy serving others. Hope to see you again very soon!!

Islamorada, Florida
Reviewed 21 January 2012

My family stayed here in December and all in all we had a good time. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms are nice enough and comfortable. The property grounds are hard to beat and there is plenty to do in the vicinity with bars, beaches, and boats.

The resort fee of $15 is a bit of a scam. I don't see how a cup of coffee and wi-fi access justify that expense. My biggest complaint is the lack of a refrigerator. I'm not sure who goes on vacation in the Keys that doesn't need to keep beer, water, or soda cold, and it is necessary to have Milk and juice for kids. I guess it suits singles or young couples who just want to drink at the bar but it's not a good fit for families.

Overall the PCI is on the right track, but still needs a little work.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank pirate1028
cruiseking15, General Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. We do have a $15 resort fee. It covers the costs of providing WiFi resort wide, free use of computers in the lobby, newspapers, coffee, and lemonade in the lobby, complimentary beach chairs on the beach, free local phone calls, and free faxing. A little tweaking is good and we will continue to tweak the Postcard Inn so that it will become your favorite hotel in the Keys. Thanks for staying with us and I hope you will return soon.

Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel for three nights to celebrate my husband's birthday and what a disappointment. Where to begin - the room had a very strong chemical odor from the flame retardent covering the rope headboard that gave both of us headaches each night. The front desk did give us the option to move to a couple of other rooms, but they all had the same odor. They told us that it was a frequent complaint from guests. The odor was improved by covering the headboard with a sheet and moving our heads to the opposite side of the bed - but not by much.

We had a room with a roll in shower and were told when we checked in that all King oceanview rooms had roll-in showers. This caused the entire bathroom floor to be soaking wet and we had to use our towels as bathmats to soak up the puddles of water on the floor. Additionally, the bathroom did not have a fan so after one of us showered and opened the door the smoke alarm went off in the entire building from the steam since it is right next to the bathroom door.

There is no real closet in our room, just a curtain covering an area with a counter and a waist high clothes bar that you can't hang a dress on .

We also discovered a cockroach in our room - when we reported it to the front desk they said, no big deal that it was just one, "it's the Keys"...

It appears that there was an attempt to update the bathroom but there was an old toliet seat still on the toliet which should have been replaced.

We went diving through their onsite dive shop and it turned out that they don't have their own boat in their marina. Instead they sent us to another dive shop about 10 minutes down the road to go out on their boat. This meant that we had to complete duplicate liability paperwork. Additionally, since we rented our gear through the hotel's dive shop we had to load up that wet equipement in our car and bring it back to the hotel's dive shop. If we had just gone through the other dive shop we could have just left the gear with them right on the dock.

There are several restaurants and bars on site which get loud on the weekends - generally the live music went until 2 am. It wasn't so bad that it would wake you up, but it made it difficult to fall asleep.

The wreck bar had good food and service and the views of the ocean are amazing, but we really wish we had stayed somewhere else.

On the plus side

Room Tip: Don't stay here
3 Thank MC S
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 January 2012

My family and I stayed at the marina for 2 nights while we chartered a sailboat. The slip was just wide enough for our 44' catamaran. Holiday Isle was a welcomed break from our previous nights at anchor or a mooring ball, since it gave us a chance to get on solid land when we wanted. There were good options on the property for dining, though not as many choices as it appeared - we ate at Shula Burger one night and the Raw Bar the other night, and also the Wreck Bar once for lunch. Mostly bar food options at all 3. I was able to use the beach/pool-side area to lay out - there were plenty of available chairs at this time of the year (December). The marina bathroom, which we used to shower during our stay, was sparse but the water was hot. The dockmaster was very friendly and helpful. We were a bit nervous when we first arrived that the Tiki Bar would be super loud at night, however, the layout was designed so that the music/noise from the bar faced the opposite direction of the marina, keeping the marina relatively quiet at night. Can't comment on the rooms since we stayed on the boat. Overall, I've stayed at nicer resorts before, but this was a perfect stop as a break during our charter.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2012

room was not ready upon arrival. after my first nights stay. I was called at noon to come back so they can move my room
are you kidding me? you didnt know I may have to be movef upon ck in???
major disaster!!!!! bad customer service. un organized

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank gllg2001
cruiseking15, General Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Thank you for your comments. I regret that we were not able to put you in a room on checkin that would be available for the full length of your stay. We had to close the building that you were initially checked into for some renovations. We have worked with the associates involved and have retrained the proceedures of checkin to insure that this issue does not repeat itself. Your patronage is important to us and hope that you will give us another opportunity to seve you in the future.

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple of nights. To be honest the outside is a little outdated and we were a bit skeptical while driving in. But they had just remodeled all the rooms and our room was perfect. Our room was on the side of their property and was not beach front; which ended up being good because a lot of the bars are open and play loud music. We loved the location also, we took day trips to Key West and Big Pine. Not far at all!! This place was a great price, great views, and most importantly clean!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost
Hilton Key Largo Resort
Hilton Key Largo Resort
#14 of 19 in Key Largo

Been to Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!