“GREAT GETAWAY”

Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The best part about this property is that you have a variety of offerings from activities, stores and restaurants to choose from so that you really don't need to leave if you don't want to. We arrived a little early and I think because it was on a Monday they were not extremely busy so we were given our room right away (an efficiency with King bed). The desk staff member even let me look at the map and choose the one I wanted (with her help in advising the quietest area). I was not disappointed in that our room was so quiet we sort of wished we had brought the white noise machine from home. Our room was an adjacent property acquisition so it was away from all of the hotel activity and restaurants which we requested. Beautiful big room with a large flat screen TV and many channels to choose from. The King bed was heavenly. I thought the Internet was a little slow but then I was using a tablet so that could have added to the slow response time. We had dinner at Shula's 2 on our first night and although our food took some time to get to us it was worth the wait. Our waiter Melvin was super nice and funny.

The whole property was clean and well maintained although you can see that more maintenance needs to be done. I think they have stopped working on it because, as I learned when we were leaving,the property has been sold again so I guess we will have to wait and see what the new money does in continuing the upgrades. Let's hope they start with the bathrooms as that has been a negative comment in all of the reviews.

We were fortunate to be there at a time when they were not busy so we had no problem getting an umbrella at the pool and having the bar right there was convenient. HOWEVER...I was VERY disappointed to see that smoking was still allowed at poolside and found that out when a lady sat down next to me with her cigarette. Not only was the wind blowing the smoke in my direction but when she flicked the ashes they also came at me. I can't believe they still allowed this. If you want to allow the smokers to be there then please designate an area and provide ashtrays and have it well marked so people can stay away who don't want to breathe second hand smoke. If this was not really allowed, then security needed to be more alert to violators.

We were given pink bracelets to wear while on the property to prove that we were guests. We were among the very few to be seen wearing them. If you are going to make a rule folks, enforce the rule everyday, not just on the weekends when you are busy. Once again security should be more alert and start asking guests to prove they are in fact guests.

There was construction going on out in front of the hotel on the Highway which was not their fault but how inconvenient when we discovered the main entrance was closed. It would have been nice to have been informed so we knew how to get into the place through the alternate access. After a 7 hour drive we were too tired to have to deal with it. I felt badly that with the upcoming holiday that our hotel had their roadway out front torn up. But a lot of that road is being worked on so the orange cone brigade is out there for miles and miles.

We enjoyed our stay, I would go back again and again. I hope they will continue to do more upgrades in the hotel rooms, particularly the bathrooms with new tubs, showers, sinks, etc. The efficiency could use more cookware as all we had was a pot. Plenty of dishes and utensils but no wine glasses!

They have the friendliest best staff I have ever encountered at a hotel.

Room Tip: If you are an early to bed, late to rise I highly recommend not staying in the beach side rooms.Ther...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BreaBert
Joe P, Front Office Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Greetings BreaBert -

Thank you for taking the time to complete a comprehensive review of PCI on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that we could WOW you in many areas and provide you with opportunities to create wonderful vacation memories. We look forward to hosting you and your family again at PCI in the near future. You will be amazed by all of the planned guest enhancements and new projects coming soon to PCI. Wish you were here!

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We booked in here for 2 nights to attend a family wedding. We found ourselves in a dilapidated part of the hotel which was long overdue a coat of paint. The bathroom was grotty and the housekeeper went out of her way to avoid making up the room. We were on the 2nd floor and had to lug our cases up the stairs as there was no lift. We didn't eat in the hotel. Never again !

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the renovated/redecorated part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Chouskikou
Joe P, Front Office Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Greetings Ronnie S -

Thank you for letting us know about your stay at PCI. We are disappointed to know that your time at our beach resort was not a memorable, fun-filled occasion. During you next stay with us, please let the front desk know about your dissatisfaction and we will do everything we can to make your stay a "WOW" moment in paradise. We are looking forward to having you back with us soon to see all of the newly planned guest enhancements at PCI. Wish you were here!

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Arriving early, we were surprised that we were actually given a room. We were given room 310 and as we were about to bring our stuff in from the car, Eugene ran and intercepted us and said we were given the wrong room. They wanted to give us the room across the hall overlooking the parking lot. He stated that that particular room was the one with a king bed which is what we reserved. The room they gave us had 2 queens. We said we were ok with the queen room and would prefer the garden view. Eugene called the front desk and we were granted our request. Room was clean, bathroom a little dated and it looked like some dead gnats or some pesky bugs on the floor. As we were bringing our stuff in maintenance knocked on the door and said that there was a work order for the bathroom door handle. We let him in and he was gone in a few minutes. We went to the pool had a few drinks and walked around. The resort property is very large and has a variety of things to do. Various water sports, restaurants, bars, live music. Gorgeous views. The grounds seemed to be well kept. Upon returning to the room I went into the bathroom and closed the door, I did not lock it but, I got locked in! By the time maintenance and security came I was able to free myself. I guess it wasnt fixed after all. The security team was great and very attentive. Venson and Jeffrey were really great. We expressed our disappointment with our room and we were quickly upgraded to an oceanfront on the 2nd floor room 221. Jeffrey and Venson helped us move and drove us to the other building. GREAT service. Once again clean but the tub was outdated. Great ocean view. Later on that evening I noticed that my drivers license and credit card were missing from my wallet. We went to the front desk and security was called. ONCE AGAIN JEFFREY TO THE RESCUE,!! he drove around and helped me find my lost items. THANK YOU JEFF!! YOUR'E THE BEST!

The pros to this resort is that there is everything you need right on site from food, drinks, pool, oceanfront, ocean/beach access, water sports, etc.

The cons bathroom outdated, not enough umbrellas around the pool and beach lounging area. Unless you can hide under a palm tree you'll bake out in the hot Florida summer sun. Tiny annoying bugs in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Second floor and up oceanfront for the views. Not sure about quiet was there beginning of the week a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amk316
Joe P, Front Office Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Greetings amk316 -

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to the Postcard Inn Beach Resort and Marina. We are delighted to know that after a few false starts, the rest of your stay was a smooth sail at our island paradise. Thank you for recognizing Eugene, Jeff, and Yvenson - they are just a few of the shining stars who help to make our guests stay at PCI amazing. Please come back soon to see all of the guest enhancements we are planning to correct all of the "cons" you experienced during stay. Wish you were here!

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I must say that my stay here was great, the room was very nicely decorated and looked clean and very pretty, we had an oceanfront in the 4th floor and the view was beautiful, we loved the small beach and the pool area was really nice. I also must say that the tub in the bathroom needs replacement ASAP, but that didn't matter because everything else was perfect I will return..

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Claudyinlove

Greetings Claudyinlove -

Thank you so much for all the PCI Love! We are so happy that you and your family had a wonderful time at our beach resort. Please don't hesitate to come back to your new home in the Keys anytime. Wish you were here!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The resort property is very large and has a variety of things to do. Various water sports, restaurants, bars, live music... you name it. This resort would have received a much higher rating if not for their less than desirable rooms. The carpet had stains on it accompanied by a mildew smell that took me 2 days to figure out where it was coming from. The AC was leaking this toxic looking substance I am going to guess was freon? (sorry if I spelled freon wrong) The bathroom was old as were its fixtures. The main reason I would never return to this place was the noisy halls at night. By saying that I do not mean rowdy guests... If someone coughed in the hallway it would echo throughout. Pass on this place. It is actually way North of the Keys stretch. If you keep driving you can find other luxury hotels.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe P, Front Office Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Greetings Ben G -

Thank you for your review of PCI on Trip Advisor. While we are delighted that you found many activities to do here at the beach resort, we are also quite disappointed that we missed several opportunities to win you over to PCI. Please stop back soon to give us another try - we have many wonderful guest enhancements planned in the coming months to remedy the issues you encountered during your stay. We can't wait to have you back with us in the Keys soon. Wish you were here!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Hotel is very old, the whole property needs some work. Everything you need is there, restaurants, bars and water activities. The rooms were clean except for the ants! Lots and lots of ants, we called down to the front desk to see if they could spray something but we were told, "if we spray they will just come back". The drinks were very reasonable for a resort and the staff was very friendly, we would go back after they buy some paint.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lenny C

Greetings Lenny C -

Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy day to tell us about your recent stay at PCI. We are very excited to let you know about our planned guest enhancements to the property that will correct many of the issues you encountered. PCI is heading towards an amazing future and we can't wait to have you back to see all of the changes. Wish you were here!

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel should be ashamed of the way they operate. They charge huge rates for dinghy rooms with poor air conditioning and all types of insects. Unfortunately my child chose to have her wedding here and I was shocked at how run down this place was. Wedding sites with Tiki type roofs full of holes -out on the dock- bar area roof about to fall in. Small rooms cheaply furnished and the list goes on and on. Our guests had their credit cards hacked. Yes hacked weeks later and it is causing enormous problems !!
You pay for an expensive wedding package and they do absolutely nothing extra for the bride and groom although their literature states they do !!
Future brides think twice before booking here. There are other more reputable hotels in the area. Postcard Inn claims they are refurbishing their hotel but when you find ants, roaches and broken air conditioners it makes you wonder where the money is going !! Shame on you Postcard in. I will advise everyone on the many travel sites if request not to ever book with you. JDT Lake Worth, Florida

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank junglejim123
Joe P, Front Office Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Greetings junglejim123-

Thank you for your review of PCI on Trip Advisor. Obviously, we missed many opportunities to create special vacation memories for you and your family during you child's destination wedding. Please contact me so we can further discuss your stay at PCI. I am looking forward to speaking with you soon. Wish you were here!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
Ocean House
Ocean House
#1 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!