“Private Diving for 6? Yes Please!”

Sea Monkeys Water Sports
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My kids and I are new to diving and this trip was our first 'blue' water dive. My husband didn't want a group dive in case we had any problems and Sea Monkeys was the answer. The boat takes no more than 6 out at a time so there's lots of help if you have any issues and can go at whatever speed works for you and your group. Colleen and Bill at Sea Monkey's did a great job of taking us out and making sure we were comfortable and ready for our adventure. On our dives were also my husband and two great friends, all three are experienced divers. They also had a great time and enjoyed the dives. We dove Alligator Reef on Saturday and the Fish Bowl on Sunday. There was a ton of sea life in both areas and the water visibility was good. Colleen paid special attention to both kids and made sure they had a great time, saw all sorts of cool things and, as a mom I really appreciated her attention to them - I couldn't have asked for a better experience all the way around.

If you have not been on small boats in the open water I would suggest taking some motion sickness medicine the night before you dive as well as the morning of your dive to ensure your experience isn't dampened by the motion of the surface waves. Also, if you're really worried about motion sickness book the early morning dive - typically the seas are calmer in the morning compared to the afternoon. Our dives were in late July and we only needed skins to dive in (no wet suits). Sea Monkeys has both skins and wet suits you can borrow (included in your rental costs). Me and my two kids do not have our own BC's or Regulators and we rented from Sea Monkeys. All the equipment was in great shape and new. My husbands personal regulator's mouth piece needed a last minute mouth piece change and the shop was able to take care of it immediatly with no problem. Also, another plus is that Sea Monkeys will store your equipment overnight for you if you are doing a multiple day diving trip (like we were) which is a huge plus (no hauling gear and storing it in the hotel room overnight).

There are bathroom facilities and a 'rinse' shower at the hotel right next to Sea Monkeys. There's also a full, outdoor bar as well at the hotel (you can't drink-then-dive but you can dive-then-drink!) and a full resturant with outdoor seating. Both the bar and food can be eaten in your swimwear (very casual).

Note: When diriving the sign for Sea Monkeys is really easy to miss (as alot of shop signs in the Keys seem to be). It's low to the ground and on the small side.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My daughter and I went snorkeling with them and loved the personal attention. We had very choppy water and the woman (sorry forgot her name) worked with us till we felt comfortable. We saw lots of sea life that day. I was asking questions about scuba and wondering if it was for me. They said they do a preview in the motel pool if I was interested. Maybe next time.

1  Thank Linda S
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Really nice snorkel trip had 2 skis and 4 of us. Was able to play in two areas and see lots of NICE houses and some fish. Jim was very nice and told us about some famous landmarks and recommended a great Bar and Resturant to eat at later that night Pierre’s Restaurant & Lounge mm 81.6.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

When my boyfriend and I were planning our trip to the Keys, we researched dive shops and chose to dive with Seamonkey's because of their good reviews and we liked the fact they didn't take more than 6 divers at a time. We did 2 dives on Saturday, 7/19 and 2 dives on Sunday, 7/20. We had a fantastic time! Bill and Colleen run a first class operation. Colleen was a great dive master and made us both feel very comfortable in the water. We dove Alligator Reef on Saturday and the Aquarium on Sunday. We saw tons of fish, lobster, Moray eels, yellow rays, one big sting ray, a sea turtle, numerous barracuda, and several sharks! Jim was a great captain and made sure we were safe and comfortable on the boat. We highly recommend Seamonkey's and will definitely dive with them again on future trips to the Keys!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Spent the weekend of July 19th diving with Sea Monkeys and it was absolutely a wonderful experience. My girlfriend and I researched all the local shops, checked review on TA and decided on Sea Monkeys because of the reviews and the fact that they run a small operation and take no more than 6 out at a time. We do not like the bigger cattle boats, like to dive small. From the minute that I made the reservations we could not have been more pleased. Bill confirmed our reservations within a few hours after making them online. When we arrived at the shop they were so friendly and helpful. Bill fitted us for our BCD's and weighted us, and I must say perfectly! Once out on the boat, the Captain, Jim was so knowledgeable about the waters and very helpful with us with our gear. When it was time to go down, Colleen led the way. Awesome dive master! She guided us without herding us, we were able to venture out a bit and take things on our own as she stayed close. We dove 4 times over two days with her and never were down less than 1 hour! We visited Alligator Reef, the Aquarium and a couple other dive sites, saw plenty of eels, rays, barracuda, sharks, lobster and other fish that I cannot name. Once back on the boat, Captain Jim again helped with our gear, they provided ice cold bottled water and towels. They also stored our gear overnight Saturday night and had it out ready to go on Sunday morning.

You cannot go wrong with Sea Monkeys! Colleen, Bill and Captain Jim are the best and we look forward to diving with them again VERY SOON!