“Real Florida Experience and pet friendly”
Review of Islander Resort

Islander Resort
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed a night at the Islander on our way to Key West and wish we had stayed there the whole time! We are a family of native Floridians and this was like going back in time - but keeping all the modern amentities. The rooms are basic but they all have screened porches which are nice if you have four-legged family members. (keep in mind there is a fee of $75.00 for pets). The pools, jaccuzzi and tiki bar are where the real fun is. There are also water sports available for rent. All the rooms have grills outside and many have hammocks outside too. The food and drinks at the tiki bar are a little pricey but very good! The staff couldn't be nicer or more accomodating! We plan to go back soon with a whole gang to enjoy the place for a longer stay! Do yourself a favor and stay here and make a day trip to Key West rather than staying there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pools and ocean and one that has a hammock outside. Pet friendly rooms are o...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed 27 July 2013

This was my second time staying here and it was great! Love this place! It''s kept so nice and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Having the water sports right there was very convenient! David was great, make sure to ask for him. He took us on a Eco tour and snorkeling and was so accommodating to what we needed. Great place to stay. I really don't understand how people can give this place a negative review.

1  Thank Trish C
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Had the best birthday weekend July 18,19, 20 at Islander Resort! Great rooms, great staff, great prices, great continental breakfast, great beach, great pools! Kudos to Linda & Vern, bartenders and also the poolside bar attendant girl! Great service! Will be back again soon! AWESOME!

1  Thank Karen G
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Hey Karen -
Thank you so much for your nice comments. We are so happy you had a great birthday trip and we hope you celebrate withus every year ! We will be sure to pass along your comments to Linda and Vern.
Thanks Again,
Karen T

Reviewed 19 July 2013

The hotel definitely lacked that resort feel (not necessarily a bad thing) and the beds were way to small, however a great place to get away for some fun on and in the water. The Islander Water Sports rental place was right on the property, very convenient! This is one of the big reasons why I would definitely recommend staying here. We hit a week of horrible weather and Dennis and David from the rental place were extremely helpful and went out of their to accommodate us in between rain storms. The jet skiing was awesome and David was a great tour guide. Whether you stay at the resort or not I would definitely recommend renting from this business!!

Room Tip: 100 or 500 buildings
1  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Booked this hotel paying a total of almost $250 per night (prepaid). Room was for 3 people. When we got there they gave us a room with only one king bed. Called the receptionist to complaint and she said that I paid for a room on the run of the house, that it was all she could give me. I asked for a roll away bed and she said they did not have one and I could leave if I wanted to. AGAIN, MY RESERVATION WAS FOR 3 PEOPLE!!!
I did not believe, it was my 10th anniversary and my husband and I were celebrating and we took our son with us. I left, couldn't book anything else. My son was crying all the way back home, we live in Miami. Horrible staff, very unprofessional. Will report them to BBB. They ruined my celebration.

• Stayed: July 2013
10  Thank nanda05

We are so sorry your vacation didn't turn out as expected. Unfortunately, your room was booked through a third party and the reservation only showed 2 adults. There was no mention of a request for two beds. During the dates of your stay we were in a sold out situation and simply did not have a room with two beds to move you to or any available roll aways. I will definitely speak to the front desk as they certainly could have explained the situation to you better and more professionally. If you would like to give us any additional information, please call our General Manager, Robin at 305-664-2031

Reviewed 12 July 2013

I took my family of 4 to this resort. They have a great location,right on the Atlantic. They have 2 pools there, both are very warm. The rooms were nice, the only problem was the beds were to small. My 18 and 12 year old had a tough time of both fitting on it. They have a good breakfast, lots of options. I would stay here again.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Was down in the Keys on business for a short trip and took advantage of a booking special for this hotel. Should have known better! It's definitely very "campy" not resort like. Guess it's not an issue for some people. We got to the Islander early and was greeted by friendly front desk people. They allowed us to use the pool and other amenities while we waited for the room. The pool and beach were lovely. Staff at the restaurant and bar were extremely nice. However, things went down hill when we received the keys to our room. Room was next to a mechanical area and dumpster. It smelled, was musty, bed linens looked worn. Not at all like the pictures on the website. There was no way on earth would I have remotely stayed there even after being offered another room. Called the Cheeca Lodge next door and stayed there. So glad we did!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business