“March 6 , 2014”
Review of Islander Resort

Islander Resort
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This was a nice spot to stay on our way back to Miami from Key West.

We had a room with two beds that worked fine for my wife and I and our two teenage kids. It had ceramic tiled floors - no doubt easier to get the sand out, and a kitchenette with refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher. We were in one of the one hundred series buildings at the southwest edge of the property.

The screened in porches are also a nice feature and open directly out onto the "corally coarse sand" surface around the entire resort.

There are two pools more-or-less centrally located (one was salt water and one a regular pool) but both with panoramic views to the ocean.

There was really no beach to speak of as most of the ocean frontage had a rock seawall.

We did get very good recommendations for dinner and breakfast from the guy at the front desk (Lazy Days for dinner and Mangrove Mikes for breakfast).

They also had laundry facilities on site and coffee by the front desk.

Unfortunately it rained most of the day we were there so we did not get to try any other activities they had available.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be in 6 unit buildings angled toward the ocean even though some are set back q...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank raybyerley
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Hi Raybyerly -
I'm sorry it rained during your stay but it sounds like you made good use of the kitchen and screened in lanai. We'll be busy all summer finishing up the property improvements with the Guy Harvey Outpost brand and hope you'll be back to check out the upgrades - Louisiana isn't too far so ya'll come back. Thank you, Karen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I am a local do I've been bartending at the pool bar for 20 years but I am no longer there and now my new hot spot is the Islander I don't work there but I love it all of my gas for the last 20 years have called me up and asked me where they should stay I tell them go to the Islander and they have never been so happy everything is there for you if your handicap they are right there on top of you helping you in the pool out of the pool if you have children you can just walk straight into the water no hassle free you can lay right next to your kids you can lay out and your kids can swim if you want to have a cocktail they have a cocktail waitress that walks around it's just the guy hardcore just like the day trust me you'll love it I'm going to put a bunch of pictures that you're so you can see how much fun it is at the Islander you can go snorkeling you can go out in the boat you can rent paddle but there's so much you can do that okay well that's it here's my picture and of course they're going to be a lot of pictures of me

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kimfloaters
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We attended a wedding here and were very pleased. The staff that served the meal and worked the reception were outstanding. The food was exceptional. We spent time at the beach, poolside, at the restaurant and the reception hall. All of these areas are modern and very nice. The rooms are in the process of being updated. All of the rooms have screened in porches that are perfect for early morning coffee or late evening wine. The room's bathroom was nice and large, the rest of the rooms were small but fine if you weren't planning on being in them all day long. The restaurant had a great menu; each plate was travel magazine beautiful in presentation and flavor.

Room Tip: Face the beach!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FourMoons
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights at Islander first week in April. Overall I was very impressed with the grounds, staff friendliness, and room conditions. Loved the screened in lanai attached to my room. The beach was large and there were plenty of lounge chairs available some were a bit ragged and could use replacement. Nice palms provided shade.

Ate at the bar/grill and the food and drinks were good, but pricey, waitstaff was excellent.

As stated in some earlier reviews yes the wifi is not good in the rooms and I also experienced black feet from walking barefoot in the room. The only real problem I encountered was my cable TV did not work the entire time I was there. I called the front desk to report, they did send someone first thing the next morning and seemed to fix the problem, but I encountered the same no cable signal later in the day.

I was able to get a fairly reasonable rate for my mid week getaway and I would definitely return to The Islander for another getaway.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Shelly613 -

We are so happy you had a Great Visit! I'm sure you noticed the updates happening around the property as part of the Guy Harvey Outpost affiliation, you will be happy to know that will include upgraded WIFI around the property and new lounge chairs. Hope you will be back soon to see all the great changes. thanks for posting, Karen

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This was our first visit to the keys and we really enjoyed our stay here. Although the rooms are a little dated and are very basic, the resort as a whole has a lot to offer. The grill and bar have good food and drinks but is pricey. The pools have large patios and lots of chaise lounge's, the water is wonderful. The beach is huge with several chaise lounge chairs there as well. The atmosphere is low key and delightful. Walking distance to several places to eat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We had a great time here. The property has a revamped 1970s appearance but still has an enjoyable old-school vibe. We liked our screened lanai, vaulted ceiling and wide-opening sliding glass doors. The pool was noisy with lots of kids having fun, but it closed and was quiet after 11 pm. The included continental breakfast was OK. The upgrade to pay for a restaurant breakfast buffet was available with a discount. We liked having our own kitchen. The large beach is crushed coral that compacts hard, but it is still one of the better beaches on the Keys. Wish the pool side bar/grill had lighter, more inexpensive choices for dinner. We recommend a short walk across the road to Lor-el-ai's for a sunset dinner on the beach. Get there an hour and 45 min before sunset to get a table. Have a drink and relax.

Room Tip: Pool area can be noisy, but you are closer to the beach. Area between pool and lobby is shaded, plea...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim P
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at the Islander, Oceanside, in January of 2014 and found it to be a great experience. The only hitch was that after a blissful first night in a oceanfront villa, a group of bachelor party revelers moved in next door. The quiet and solitude became a middle aged frat boy fest and we were not happy. Kudos to the management for moving us as soon as we advised them of our disappointment. Although it was a bit inconvenient to have to move rooms, we were relocated to a comparable accommodation and the bliss and solitude returned!.. This resort is now a Guy Harvey resort and the amenities and on-site restaurant were wonderful too. We would definitely return, despite the fact that we generally try a new place every time we come down.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Doxelade -

Thank you for taking time to post. I'm so happy we were able to relocate you away from the Bachelor Party. I hope you will be able to come back once we have completed the property upgrades with all the new Guy Harvey artwork, etc... especially since you like to try new places.

Thanks again, Karen