“Good Value - Just the basics...”
Review of Islander Resort

Islander Resort
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed at the Islander on our way to Key West, only one night, so keep that in mind when reading this review! The Islander is a great location, right on the water, but, of course, not really a swimming beach. Our little studio was very clean and functional, but definitely dated. The grounds are well kept and not over-the-top landscaped. We had a couple of egrets (?) just outside our lanai in the early morning and they were fun to watch. The pools were nice and warm and both were super clean with lots of chairs and areas to hang out. It was just my husband and myself staying there, but I can see where it would be a GREAT place for families with young kids! With the little kitchenettes, the zero entrance pool, the long pier, there would be a lot for kids to do.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deniseg12345
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hello DeniseG12345 -
Thank you for your post. I'm sorry you only got to stay one night, but, hopefully you will be able to come back and see all of our property improvements. Guest rooms are being upgraded and we're adding landscaping. We've got alot of changes going on right now. So happy you enjoyed the egrets - or possibly the ospreys. We have two osprey nesting platform/ poles on property. Hope to see you back soon, Karen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I had never visited the keys before, and did a lot of research before choosing to stay at Islander. My boyfriend and I decided to stay for 4 nights in early March. I was very pleased. Our room was somewhat on the cosy side, but the high vaulted ceilings and screened in porch made it feel much roomier.
The resort property was very beautifully maintained and I loved the landscaping. Dogs were allowed and we saw people walking them, but were never bothered by any barking or droppings.
The beach area was very nice for a walk or a lounge, although the chairs needed replacing. The whole place could do with a fresh coat of paint and a general sprucing up to be honest, but it wasn't bothersome.
I enjoyed swimming in the ocean, where my boyfriend prefers the pool. The pools were both pretty nice, and the swimming area in the ocean was a bit shallow and weedy, but that doesn't bother me as I'm a bit of a nature freak.
My favorite thing about the resort was the activities. I wish we had gone the first day and scoped it out because we found they had better prices than other places in the area. We ended up taking a jet ski tour, which was a total blast. The guide was very friendly and helpful, and the whole experience was just amazing. We wanted to do a snorkeling excursion too, but unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate and we eventually had to leave our little island paradise.
I hope to return and try that as well as renting kayaks right at the resort (I travelled to key west for this and wish I had just stayed in Islamorada to kayak).
The poolside cafe was a bit of a rip off, but the bar was great. We did the breakfast on our last morning, and I wish I had done it earlier because it was really delicious, especially the grits and coffee.
My only complaint would be water pressure in the shower. I have very thick long hair, so this was an issue for me. I understand islands have all kinds of rules with water use age and nobody wants to be wasteful. I just wish it didn't take me so long to get all the shampoo out of my hair.
Other than that it was an amazing stay and I would love to return to Islamorada and the Islander Resort!

Room Tip: Visit the activities hut
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi KodakSnack -
We are so happy you had a nice stay and hope you get to come back and kayak here in Islamorada. Kayaking from our Bayside townhomes thru the backcountry is amazing. You'll also be happy to know that as part of our affiliation with Guy Harvey Outpost we've gotten new lounge chairs and we've introduced a few more economical menu options too. Yes, you are correct the eco-friendly, low flow shower heads do cut down on the water pressure a bit. Thanks for your post, Karen

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We just returned from a 50th birthday dinner party for my spouse at the resort. The Food and Beverage Director Tony was extremely helpful and accommodating in the planning of the event. The dinner party was held in the new Trophy Room. The room's décor was beautiful. It had a large screen TV, beautiful bar and seating area and a gorgeous table set for dinner. The food was amazing! Everything from the appetizers to the chocolate Crème Brule was awesome. Our entrees included rum glazed duck, steak, and catch of the day. Chef Andy cooked everything to perfection. The service by Tony and Stephanie was impeccable. They made sure all the guests had a wonderful time and were very attentive to everyone. Many thanks to Tony, Stephanie and Chef Andy for an exceptional meal and awesome service. You all made the night very special. If you want a great location, great food, and great service for your private dinner party-I would highly recommend this spot!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2014

When we checked in the front desk agent was very nice. Upon checking into our room the phone and safe wasn't operating.
Within 10 min maintenance came buy and everything was working. The room is spacious & basic nothing fancy but clean. What disappointed me was there where no umbrellas in the pool area & you had to pay for an umbrella by the beach? I thought I was back in Miami? The beach was full of sea grass and not appealing. There is one section where there are steps and that allowed us to swim in the ocean. There is still a lot of grass, it felt like swimming in a lake, bring your swimming shoes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Hello Mea0427 - Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you had issues with your safe but I'm happy to hear our Maintenance people were quick to get everything fixed for you. Certain times of the year we do get sea weed washing ashore and we have a staff person assigned to just clean the beach. Also, as part of our affiliation with Guy Harvey Outpost, and our upgrades, we have just gotten some new lounge chairs and more umbrellas. We hope you can come back to soon to see all the improvements. We do appreciate your comments. Thanks again, Karen

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We just returned from our stay at the Islander Resort and are anxiously awaiting a return trip next year. Part of what is so great about the keys is that it's a laid back environment & this resort met our expectations perfectly. We stayed in room 435 which does not have a view of the pool or the beach, but it was actually nice to be set back from all the noise of the pool. Each room is equipped with all the necessary kitchen appliances as well as dishes & silverware. The rooms have high ceilings with beautiful ceiling fans, as well as a private lanai where we enjoyed our coffee each morning. In addition, there's a common area for each strip of rooms that has a charcoal grill, picnic tables, hammocks and chaise lounges. The beach and pool were picture perfect! There's not much of a swimming area in the ocean but that is to be expected as the hotel has really tried to preserve the natural state of the island. We enjoyed lounging in our chairs under the palm trees and took the short walk to the pool to cool off when needed. The drinks from the poolside grill were delicious, but we did not try any of their food so I can't comment on the quality. I can say that prices were a little steep but that was not unexpected.

The only real con that I can comment on is that there's really not much security at the resort and virtually anyone could drive in, park and spend the day at the beach and pool. This seemed to be the case on our first day there which was a Sunday, as the pool was packed and then the following day hardly anyone was there. This really wasn't a big deal for us as everyone was polite & friendly, but I can see how it could be an issue during peak seasons when the hotel is also fully booked.

TIP: If you'd like to save some money on drinks & food, while still being close to the resort, walk across the street to Lor-e-Lei's which has a great happy hour from 4-6 as well as delicious food. In addition, they have a sunset celebration every night which is something you don't want to miss.

Overall, we loved our time spent at the Islander and cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This place is so sweet, not your cookie-cutter resort. It has character -- common areas with grills, picnic tables and hammocks, refreshing pools, a beach straight out of the movies with comfy chaise lounges. The wait staff was friendly, prompt, accommodating. We showed up a little late for dinner one night -- the kitchen had just closed -- and they readily prepared a delicious dinner for us. The food was simple, but fresh and good. I loved the room, with cathedral ceilings, Key West style built-ins, a well-equipped kitchenette, screened patio, so comfortable. Perfect for a beachy, relaxing, rejuvenate time.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Hi Nancy P -

Thank you so much for your nice comments. We think it is a very special place too. Hopefully, you will be able to come back soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I wrote this review after we returned home in December 2013, tried to publish it, but it kept getting rejected (strangely). Trying again with the hopes of truly helping others to not make the mistake we made. The photos look great, some of the reviews are great, and we read those first (and only).There are 2 distinctly different sections at The Islander (the newer section and the older section). In the older section, there are buildings that are way worse than others. In the older buildings, there are units that are way worse than others. We got one of those. Dirty, had plumber there three times with toilet issues, maid not arriving till 2 p.m.. Tide line at water filled with trash. The A/C is old and incredibly noisy, first time had to have it "fixed" with a broomhandle. Yes, you read right. The "guests" paying 300 a night must share the pool and beach with the locals, WHERE is this acceptable? Some of the front desk people are incredibly rude, but one of the managers was professional. We know the keys are laid back, we weren't expecting the Four Seasons, but really, as some of the others have said, management/owners need to wake up. This is horrible and we would never recommend this to anyone who is expecting anything more than a Motel 6.

Room Tip: IF you must go, insist on room in the NEWER section of the resort. They tell you they are "jus...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank milesgayle
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Hello MilesGayle - We're very sorry to hear your stay was not up to your expectations. We've had a lot of changes since your visit 5 months ago. We are still in renovation mode now, hopefully, we will be complete by the end of summer. Please come back and see all the updates and changes. We think you will be pleased with all the guest room upgrades. The rudeness you experienced is totally unacceptable and our General Manager would like to get some additional information from you. If you have time, please email Robin@GuyHarveyOutpostIslamorada.com or call her 305-664-2031. Thank you, Karen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
Drop Anchor Resort
Drop Anchor Resort
#3 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Islander Resort? Share your experiences!