“JUST AWFUL”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Cheshire, England
“JUST AWFUL”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in a beachside room on 31st May for 3 nights. Having read the reviews on tripadvisor we decided to take the risk after reading mixed reviews for this stay.

Booking the hotel was quite an easy process, their website wouldn’t take bookings for the date we wanted so we emailed to reserve the room, but gosh how we wish we had not bothered!

Even check-in wasn’t great we were greeted by a robot who just asked us for a credit card and she wasn’t very friendly or welcoming.

Oh dear when we arrived in our room, it actually gave my husband a migraine. The room obviously hasn’t been touched for many, many years, it is still stuck in the 80s. I know some people won’t believe me, so I have taken photographs. It wasn’t just old it was disgustingly dirty. We sat on the bed and nearly cried. If we had been in our own country we would have walked out, but we didn’t know where to go or what to do. So we decided just to spend all our time in the porch/outside and not in the room.
Main issues:
Floor extremely dirty
Oven absolutely disgusting (dirt dripping off the rungs – see photo)
Kitchen cupboards are all sticky
Dirty toaster
Got a shock from the coffee machine
Plastic glasses (so cheap)
No oven mitt provided – had no way of getting anything hot out of the dirty oven
80s tired décor
Staff member who was cleaning the BBQ outside – did it whilst smoking
No hotel information, not even a folder/book with information about the room, hotel or local area in the room

I thought the papers at reception were complimentary (they had been in all of the 6 hotels we had stayed in on this trip). I tried to take one and got told off by a staff member that I had to pay for it, not even a 'so sorry but you will need to pay for it' – it was very accusational. If I was a risk taker I would have taken it out of spite!

To top our experience off even more…. on check out we weren’t even asked if we had a nice time. The staff are robots. Maybe they don’t ask because they are too embarrassed to ask because of the state of the rooms and didn’t want to hear the same story that it was totally disgusting.

They are ‘renovating’ rooms.... so during our stay we had work men staring at us, smoking and playing music not very relaxing. However when I say ‘renovating’ all they were doing was taking out the kitchen/bedroom furniture and spraying them white. So it looks like the same old equipment must still be in the rooms.

The only nice thing I can say about the resort is that if you sit in a certain place on the patio you can see the sea/beach which looks from a distance quite nice.

I don’t normally complain, but I really don’t want anyone else to feel as bad as we did on that first day.

If you are used to staying in a 3 or 4 star hotel don’t waste your money (eg like a Kimpton/Hilton etc). However If you are used to dirty and unpleasant staff you will be fine.

Room Tip: Just save your money and do not go
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank AmAstley
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello AmAstley -
I am so sorry to hear your expectations were not met. We absolutely need to follow up on your comments and concerns. Would it be possible for you to please contact our General Manager, Robin, at your convenience so she can address the specifics ? You can email her at: Robin@GuyHarveyOutpostIslamorada.com
Thank you for alerting us to these issues, Karen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Pass Christian, Mississippi
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We were so pleasantly surprised by the acreage of this wonderful place. The kids enjoyed many water sports and we enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere. The staff was great to work with, always so hospitable and friendly. Sunset boat ride and tours were awesome. Other guests have been coming for years and I can see why...what a find!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Michelle D
Hi Michelle -
Thank you for your nice post. We're so happy you and your family enjoyed your stay. Yes, our 20+ acres are ideal for spreading out. It's ideal for the kids to ride bikes, enjoy the big beach and take advantage of all the watersports activities. We hope to see you again soon. Warm Regards, Karen
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the islander when I came to the keys and it was such a nice place to stay. The rooms are nice and clean and the hotel has an awesome restaurant out by the pool where you can get drinks and relax! I will defiantly be staying here again next time I am down!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nichole j
Hi Nichole J -
We're so happy you came over from the "left" coast to visit us. Our F&B staff will be please to know you enjoyed the restaurant and bar. Come back soon ! Thanks again, Karen
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed here in early June for one night, but I wish we had more time! The beach is beautiful and clean. It has a sandy beach, but it's not powdery like the Gulf beaches but it was nice, nonetheless. Nice chairs were provided at the beach and pool, and there were plenty(which was nice). The pools were wonderful and it was nice to lounge around in a pool that was deeper than most 3 ft hotel pools. The customer service was great, and Ellen at the front desk made our check-in and out very smooth. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, and parking was a breeze. I have to say, I was a little worried when we turned in by the big outdated "Islander" sign that looked like it was straight out of the 70's. However, we had a wonderful stay and would visit again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CLSG6807
Dear CLSG -
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully, the next trip will be longer so you can have more time to enjoy the beach and the pool. We will definitely let Ellen know you mentioned her. We all appreciate the compliments. Our original sign is now a historical landmark and we've grown to love it. Hope to see you back soon -
Warm Regards, Karen
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I am here now in room 134 going on my 4th hour of no air conditioning in my room. I've been calling since before 5pm. It is now literally 85 degrees in my room according to my phone. We've been told it was fixed and then it was the filter. For this I could have slept in a campground for free. For me this is so sad because islander bayside was so fantastic back in April. As a Floridian who comes here often I am sad to see that this is what some people may think of our tourism and hospitality. I will never stay here again. If our air ever gets fixed everyone in this room will need a second shower and I will have to throw out all of the food. It's registering as 87 degrees in our room.

Stayed June 2014
5 Thank THC9
Miami, FL
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Was there in March for a wedding to be held on location there. Was so nice to have everyone together and rooms in close proximity to each other so that you could entertain, or just relax in your room. Rooms very spacious, and loved having the kitchenette. The wedding planner there is just top notch super helpful an A+++ day of the wedding she was there to dot all the i's and cross the t's. Restaurant and bar staff super top notch as well. They were so accomodating for our large group. We really enjoyed the staff. The newly remodeled restaurant lounge area was absolutely first class we had the rehersal dinner there. Wedding accommodations were so beautiful on the beach and then receiption on the gorgeous patio area and upstair balcony couldn't of been more perfect. All in all this was a great location for a destination wedding and vacation stay for your guests. Added plus is the staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MiamiTravelers_7
Hello MiamiTravelers -
Thank you so much for your nice post. We are so happy you had a great time and enjoyed a beautiful wedding event. Hopefully, since you are so close you will be able to come back and visit often. Thanks again, Karen
Mount Sterling, Illinois
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at the Islander in March 2014. We had never been to this area of Florida, and had no idea what to expect of this Hotel. We arrived and were thrilled. We were upgraded to the Suite. This room is literally steps off the beach. The staff super and our room excellent. A screened in porch allowed for wonderful evening family time. The water sports on property was excellent. The food at the beachside bar and grill was delicious. Nothing bad to say about this place and it is one of many we have stayed at on family vacations. thanks Islander and we plan to see you next March. Illinois vacationers

Room Tip: I recommend the beach side rooms but at this resort any room has an ocean view and only a short walk...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Vicki S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
Drop Anchor Resort
Drop Anchor Resort
#4 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost? Share your experiences!