“Very nice hotel with great staff. ”
Review of Islander Resort

Islander Resort
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel with a well done beach area. The staff did a very nice job and were unobtrusive. The one negative of this place was it's "local friendly" status. It gets overrun with "non guest" locals coming to the pool and beach on the weekends making both very very crowded. This policy has the potential to ruin a very nice resort.

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank KentuckyGlobetrotter
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hello Kentucky -
Thank you for your post. We do try to be local friendly and it does seem to be a double edge sword, especially over busy weekends. I apologize if they were intrusive, we do try to keep the traffic from spilling over into the guest areas. If you'd like to give us any additional feedback, please feel free to call our General Manager, Robin 800-753-6002 Thank you, Karen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

A group of us went and while the guys fished, we relaxed by the pool. Rooms are clean, not overly large or fancy. Nice pool area and beautiful beach area. Would recommend this hotel and will be back again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Happy -
Your post was awesome ! Thank you so much for the kind words. Come back soon !
Warm Regards, Karen

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in early June, on the recommendation of a friend. I was pleasantly surprised by this place. The grounds are spotless, staff is on the go straightening and picking up via golf cart all day long. The room had everything the four of us could need. Comfortable ,well placed furnishings and the kitchen was full size always a plus when traveling family style. The bathroom was clean updated and the shower was full strength a retractable clothesline is a welcome extra , with all the wet bathing suits and towels, beach towels are given upon check in, again well thought out and the pool is pretty. The food is good but vacation priced. The beach is beautiful and goes on for a good stretch a bonus down here. The screened porch was really large and the bbq grill and hammock topped it all off. Price is moderate but worth it a great deal for the area. Guy Harvey owns this resort so it's a plus for fisherman they dock your boat just off shore and ferry you in. The man himself was there during our stay ,the staff did not tell us and we missed the autograph and photo happy hour even though we were on the grounds at the time. The kids were really bummed out about not getting there new gear signed, but that was the only drawback we will be back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear vueat -

We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. So sorry to hear you missed Guy signing autographs in the lobby. If you send me an email with your address I will do my best to get something autographed and sent to your home. Karen@GuyHarveyOutpostIslamorada.com

Reviewed 23 June 2014

A group of us have been fishing in Islamorada in the Florida Keys for almost forty years, yes we are getting older. Over the years we have consistently chosen the Islander, now a Guy Harvey Outpost Resort. We have stayed other places, but have always come back to the Islander. The accommodations are nice, but not fancy, always clean and spacious. Many units have kitchens, screened-in porches with a table and chairs and a patio with lounge chairs. The porches work well for having a cool drink in the evenings. The staff is friendly and many have been at the Islander for a long time. The units are spread out nicely over a large area. The complex has two pools, a restaurant and bar, a long fishing pier, and a huge beach. The beach is sandy and clean, with plenty of room to be by yourself. I would recommend making reservations well in advance because the Islander is a destination for weddings and often booked during weekends. Connie Crowley in group reservations has been very helpful with complex reservations, often exceeding my expectations. I recommend the Islander highly. You can’t miss it – look for the landmark “50’s” sign.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Islander Resort at the beginning of June 2014 - and have to say we cannot fault the hotel, it's staff or facilities - would most certainly recommend it to any other travellers!! Special thanks to Ellen at Reception for her kindness and support, to Tamie, the Concierge - excellent advice and help and to Lou-Lou and Danielle (Marathon Woman!) at the pool bar and restaurant - they all made our stay fantastic and we look forward to coming back again soon. Very relaxed atmosphere and very central location for other places to visit in the Keys. Recommend the fishing at Whale Harbour - the boat Reel G - Capt Adrian - great fishing trip and he promised a 'big fish' for my husband's birthday and an 80lb Tarpon didn't disappoint. Thank you Islamorada and Islander Resort!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexander R

Happy Birthday alails -
I'm sorry I missed singing to you in person. But, if you come back for your 61st birthday I will sing and bake you a cake ! I will definitely share your kind words with Ellen, Tammie and Danielle. We'd love to see a photo of your husband's big tarpon. It sounds like you had a wonderful celebration. Thank you so much for sharing, Karen

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was our 4th trip to Islamorada and 2nd stay at the Islander Resort. Check in was very easy and staff friendly. We had oceanfront suites which were wonderful! The view was simply amazing. Its nice to walk out our front door and see the ocean. We had a full kitchen with table and chairs. Living room area and separate bedroom and a nice big bathroom. The pool was perfect with great service. We didn't spend much time on the beach but did take nice walks in the morning. Plenty of chairs either place you wanted to sit. The only thing we didn't like was you received only 1 beach towel at check in if you wanted a new one you had to go back to the front desk. We would stay here again and recommend to friends/family. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Get a ocean front suite! The best view of the ocean and the rooms are very large.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Meggan F
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in a beachside room on 31st May for 3 nights. Having read the reviews on tripadvisor we decided to take the risk after reading mixed reviews for this stay.

Booking the hotel was quite an easy process, their website wouldn’t take bookings for the date we wanted so we emailed to reserve the room, but gosh how we wish we had not bothered!

Even check-in wasn’t great we were greeted by a robot who just asked us for a credit card and she wasn’t very friendly or welcoming.

Oh dear when we arrived in our room, it actually gave my husband a migraine. The room obviously hasn’t been touched for many, many years, it is still stuck in the 80s. I know some people won’t believe me, so I have taken photographs. It wasn’t just old it was disgustingly dirty. We sat on the bed and nearly cried. If we had been in our own country we would have walked out, but we didn’t know where to go or what to do. So we decided just to spend all our time in the porch/outside and not in the room.
Main issues:
Floor extremely dirty
Oven absolutely disgusting (dirt dripping off the rungs – see photo)
Kitchen cupboards are all sticky
Dirty toaster
Got a shock from the coffee machine
Plastic glasses (so cheap)
No oven mitt provided – had no way of getting anything hot out of the dirty oven
80s tired décor
Staff member who was cleaning the BBQ outside – did it whilst smoking
No hotel information, not even a folder/book with information about the room, hotel or local area in the room

I thought the papers at reception were complimentary (they had been in all of the 6 hotels we had stayed in on this trip). I tried to take one and got told off by a staff member that I had to pay for it, not even a 'so sorry but you will need to pay for it' – it was very accusational. If I was a risk taker I would have taken it out of spite!

To top our experience off even more…. on check out we weren’t even asked if we had a nice time. The staff are robots. Maybe they don’t ask because they are too embarrassed to ask because of the state of the rooms and didn’t want to hear the same story that it was totally disgusting.

They are ‘renovating’ rooms.... so during our stay we had work men staring at us, smoking and playing music not very relaxing. However when I say ‘renovating’ all they were doing was taking out the kitchen/bedroom furniture and spraying them white. So it looks like the same old equipment must still be in the rooms.

The only nice thing I can say about the resort is that if you sit in a certain place on the patio you can see the sea/beach which looks from a distance quite nice.

I don’t normally complain, but I really don’t want anyone else to feel as bad as we did on that first day.

If you are used to staying in a 3 or 4 star hotel don’t waste your money (eg like a Kimpton/Hilton etc). However If you are used to dirty and unpleasant staff you will be fine.

Room Tip: Just save your money and do not go
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank AmAstley
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Hello AmAstley -
I am so sorry to hear your expectations were not met. We absolutely need to follow up on your comments and concerns. Would it be possible for you to please contact our General Manager, Robin, at your convenience so she can address the specifics ? You can email her at: Robin@GuyHarveyOutpostIslamorada.com
Thank you for alerting us to these issues, Karen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
Drop Anchor Resort
Drop Anchor Resort
#3 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Islander Resort? Share your experiences!