“ABSOLUTE FAVORITE PLACE TO STAY IN KEYS”

Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 18 July 2014

For Starters , I own a restaurant. I have worked in the service industry for 20 years myself and I know good service when I see it. My uncle and I decided to stay at the Islander earlier this week( the 13-15). I planned on staying for ONE night and I was so happy and relaxed at this spot I stayed an entire 3 days. Thanks to Kelly, a very helpful and sweet Front Desk manager, I was able to change my reservation three times prior to arriving. Kelly was literally emailing me maps and options to make it easier for me to choose my room ( I was traveling with a handicapped elderly ). Everyone around the hotel was so kind. If you happen to go here, visit Tammie in the gift shop. She helped my uncle to find a special sun burn cream after he was burned. p.s. Don't forget to check out the pool bar, Danielle was the best server I have ever seen in my life. Hands down, Thank you all for an amazing weekend.
Much love,
Jamie Barlow

1  Thank LaStellasRestaurant

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here on a family vacation for five nights. The entire experience was awesome. The property, rooms, staff were incredible. It is located in the middle section of Islamorada. Plenty of beach chairs for everyone and the restaurant pool side is great.

Room Tip: We stayed in a beach side room. None of the rooms are actually near the water, you have to walk dow...
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here again this summer and had a great time. Our room had a full kitchen and screened patio looking over the ocean. It was clean and comfortable. My kids love the pool and hunting for sea critters in the ocean. I'd recommend bringing water shoes because it can be a bit rocky. The waitress who served the pool area was very helpful also. This is a wonderful place to take the kids at a reasonable price in Islamorada.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Travelingmamafl
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The pool areas were nice. The beach entry pool area is nice for the small kids. There was a pig roast that was totally worth the money. We would definitely do that again. The restaurant and bar was pricy, just like every other tiki bar in the keys, I'm sure. The website talks about the 50's charm which I expected to be another way of saying they were old dirty rooms but we were pleased to see they were nice and for the most part clean.

The other part my 3yo son loved was the iguanas and the freakishly large newt/lizards running around. That was really neat. My son was feeding the iguanas fruit. A real fun experience for him. I have been coming to Islamorada for many years and have never seen these large newt/ lizards before. Pretty cool.

My major complaint is that the guys renovating and repainting the room decor set up a spray booth right outside our room's lanai. This completely ruined the views of the pool and beach. This is surprising to me since there is plenty of room elsewhere that would not affect the views and atmosphere of a tropical resort for not just my room but many others that overlooked the area and still be efficient for the workers. Being in construction management, I felt like I was still at work.

All in all, we were pleased for the price and would come back again.

Stayed: July 2014
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hello The EdW -
It's great that your family enjoyed their stay. We forget the rest of Florida doesn't have all the lizards and iguanas. The kids do love them. And, yes, we are upgrading and remodeling. I'm sorry you felt like you were at work. Please come back later this Fall when we are all finished - send us an email if you do get to come back down and we'll be sure you get a "repeat guest" deal. 800-753-6002 or Karen@GuyHarveyOutpostIslamorada.com

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I don't know how they call this a resort. Everything seemed so run down. Upon entering the room it smelled musty. Stains on the walls in the bathroom- I'm afraid to guess what from. Table leg on porch was broken and a newspaper under the leg was already there to keep it steady. Some mark or burn on inside table. Grounds not well kept. This place allows pets and all we heard from nearby rooms were dogs barking. Bartender unfriendly. Upon leaving, woman at front desk was reluctant to give me a copy of my receipt since I 'booked online'.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Katemj -
I'm so sorry we did not meet your expectations. We are in the middle of renovations and upgrades, but, that in no way makes it acceptable that your room was not in great shape. I really want our General Manager to be able to follow up. Could you please email or call Robin ? 800-753-6002 or Robin@GuyHarveyOutpostIslamorada.com Thank you very much -

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We were here 4 nights, including weekend, and didn't have any of the bad experiences some reviewers mentioned. We had a ocean view room with screened in outside area facing away from the pool. The resort was maybe half full, which was surprising since it was July 4 weekend. The pool area was busy on Sat but not unlike any other resort on a holiday weekend. Sunday was great, there was a special "pig roast" beach party, with live musicians, really added to the island atmosphere. The ocean area looked "dirty" but it's just seaweed/plants floating and gathering around the ledge. A few steps out down the stairs and you're clear. Great warm clear water to swim in. The pools were great as well, clean and warm, and the hot tub was great on a night that was a little cooler. Our room was mostly cleaned well, just one of the days it seems housekeeping was in a hurry and didn't leave dish towels or empty garbage under the sink. It was great to have a kitchen, outside screened eating area, lounge chairs and hammock right outside. We called Front desk on 4 different occasions (for one thing or another that weren't their fault) and help always came very quickly. Overall we had a great experience!

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view villa away from the pool if you want privacy and quiet.
1  Thank yr66
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hello yr66 -

Thank so much for taking time to write such a nice review. We very happy you enjoyed your stay. We were actually sold out over the July 4th weekend so I'm especially glad you didn't feel crowded : ) Hope you get to come back soon.
Warm regards, Karen

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Let me begin by saying, somethings can not be avoided. I understand that mother nature can have make life uncomfortable. We checked in on Monday 7/7/14. Met by very friendly and inviting staff, check in was a quick and happy event. We found our room on the large property and entered through the very dated door into an equally dated room. By no means was it a bad room but dated just the same. Like the Brady bunch left moments before we got there. Still not the worst thing in the world. The place was clean and no musty smell. We walked out into the back pool beach and ocean area and was hit immediately by the "SMELL". Upon some investigation we found out a few things about the property. One it was very large and despite the smell, clean and well kept. However the beach was not a true beach. Now our expectation of a true beach was our own fault because I should have done some research. There was hard ground with rough corral topping that made it uncomfortable and painful to walk on. The water was behind a large rock barrier. No direct entry to the sea but who would have wanted to. The source of the SMELL was there. Rotting sea grass, baking in the tropical sun. Yummy. This was present for the duration of the trip. Almost unable to sit there in the sun on the "beach" when the breeze was blowing over this pungent salad of rot. In my opinion some effort could have been made to pull this grass from the area and minimize the smell of this stuff. They made so much effort in grooming the grounds I think they should have dedicated some man power into removal of the smell.
To the pool and bar for some smell relief? No it was there too. Along with expensive over priced weak drinks served by on unpleasant lady bartender and a grumpy over burdened waitress. Clearly the very few people ( 6-10) at the pool bar were overwhelming them. I expect to pay a little more when at a place like this but at least make the drinks worth drinking. We did grab a snack there and the food was pretty good.
The second smelly day at the pool was about the same as the first but this time there were many kids. It did liven the place up a little and we didn't mind the children at all. My only suggestion would be to at least have the pool at the bar adults only. We found the second day to be very hot and a lack of umbrellas lead us to ask on grumpy waitress if they could provide some additional umbrellas for the pool area. She directed us to the water sport shack located a good 75 yards from the pool and were told to get our own from there at a fee I imagine. Not what I expected at all.
Well the good things I can say about the pool/ bar/ grill area was it was clean. Smelly but clean.
The rooms needed updating but were very clean also. Bed was extremely comfortable and linens were spotless.
Overall I am sure there are things that can not be controlled but some effort could have been put in to mitigation of the rotting sea grass. We were disappointed the bar and staff at the grill were not nicer but if I had that smell in my face all day maybe I would be grumpy too.
My last visit in March was to their Bayside location and found that to be very nice. Having the choice now I would go back over there.

Room Tip: The rooms were all good as far as access to the grounds. Our room was very close to the pool, and pi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear smcarr7467 - I am so sorry the beach didn't meet your expectations. We do use a tractor to take the sea weed off the beach but we cannot get to the area behind the rocks. The sea grass beds are protected so sometimes we unfortunately have to let nature take its course. You are correct, only the oceanside is affected by the sea grass washing in. However, we would definitely like to take some action about "grumpy" staff. Could you please give our General Manager a call, or an email, so she can get some additional information ? 800-753-6002 or Robin@GuyHarveyOutpostIslamorada.com Thank you, Karen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
Chesapeake Beach Resort
Chesapeake Beach Resort
#13 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost? Share your experiences!