“Missing you”

Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We really loved our stay at the Islander. Ckeck-in was a breeze as I had confirmed everything with Connie who had helped me with my reservation. The staff were very helpful and friendly. It was nice chatting to Marlene at the Guy Harvey shop in the lobby. Beautiful clean rooms and bathrooms with super comfy beds. The pool area and beach is kept spotlessly clean. Great burgers at Guy's Beachside Bar & Grill. I wish we had met the guys at the Islander Watersports kiosk a bit sooner as they were great to chat to about fishing in the area. We just had such a relaxing time at the Islander and it was our perfect base to explore the Keys. Office staff, Eva and Charles were most helpful with my boarding passes that would not print. I was very sad to go. If you find a heart there... it's mine.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

We miss you too Merl808! It looks like the boarding passes worked to get you on your flight home. Hope you can come back soon. In the meeantime, I'll be sure to pass along your warm wishes to Connie, Marlene, Eva, Charles and the rest of the staff. Thank you

Reviewed 25 July 2014

They have both Hot and Cold Food, price is reasonable, to say the least. $13.95 for the full hot and cold food, and that includes all beverages, no limit. Or look at it this way, free coffee, juice and 8 or more hot dishes, that you can get all that you want.
Continental Breakfast is about $8.95 per Person, still with Beverages included.
Place is beautiful, indoor and outdoor seating. There are over 12 choices of cold breakfast items, all kinds of breads, muffins, and the fruit really is above the average. My favorite is the chef special scramble, each day it is different, always has the standards on hot food. (bacon, sausage, grits, oatmeal, pancakes, hash browns, home fries, Eggs Benny, and sometimes Country Fried Steak, or breakfast Ham.)
If you just want an Omelet, order from the waitress, or eggs over easy or basted, and they will bring the special order to your table, no problem. They never use the word, "NO."
Hours are 7am until 11am. Located in the Islander Resort, park near the Front Desk, as there is no parking to reach Bonefish Flats. Walk is approximately 150 feet from Front Desk. ( head South, not near the Great Banquet Hall, which is North.) open 7 days a week

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ellen N
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was our second stay at the Islander. I was hopeful that since it has become an aggressively marketed Guy Harvey Outpost that it would have raised the bar. Unfortunately, I find them lacking in areas that should easily be top rate. The pool area consists of two pools, which is wonderful, but a mere 3 umbrellas. Completely unacceptable. On check-in we were given one pool towel per person. If we wanted fresh towels we had to go to the front office and request them. The housekeeping staff gives the impression they would rather be ANYWHERE but there. Almost every day we were 'shorted' standard items - wash cloths, towels, garbage not emptied, etc. For 3 days I requested regular coffee packets for our room but was only given decaf. When I called the front office I was told I could come by and pick them up. Really? The screened patio would have been awesome if not for the fact that the A/C exhaust vented onto it making the 90+ degree summer temperature even more unbearable, not to mention too noisy to enjoy.

We were pleased to discover that it was a pet-friendly site - until we stumbled onto the main area leading to the office that was littered with pet feces. Not only did owners not clean up after their pets, neither did resort staff. The area wasn't cleaned up the entire week we were there. Completely unsatisfactory for a resort.

On a positive note, other than the pet issue the grounds are clean and well-kept. The location is superb and if you know anything about Keys beaches, the Islander has a pretty nice one. It consists of older buildings but they are in the process of renovating rooms.

We love the Islamorada area but I'm not sure if we will return. I will continue to monitor reviews and hope that things improve.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank GerriN859
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hello GerriN -
Yes, we are still in renovation mode and that includes additional umbrellas, as well as, new pool and patio furniture. I'm not sure what area you are talking about as the "pet area," but we'd really like to follow up and be sure that is actually on our property (?) And - we definitely want to get some additional information on the housekeeping issue. There's no excuse for that. Can you please give our General Manager, Robin Schlaudecker, a call or an email so she can get some additional info ? Robin@GuyHarveyOutpostIslamorada.com or 800-753-6002. Thank you, Karen

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Place is nice. Pool is nice but rude staff gave us attitude when they saw we had a cooler. When asked to remove it from the pool we had no problem. Had not noticed the sign. We went out to the beach and immediately approached and told no coolers allowed on the beach I asked if she could point out the sign or notice that coolers were not allowed. Her response, "Im telling you now! No coolers allowed on the beach on Saturday and Sunday." I have never been to a beach that did not allow a cooler. All we had was fruit for the kids. It seems like this is a rule they made up. I asked to speak to a manager and they never came out. Although its a ridiculous rule perhaps if they would have been a bit nicer it would not have bothered me. I had intentions of buying drinks but I made it a point not to after the altercation. Seems like all they cared about was their bottom line and not our experience. Our group which was made up of 7 rooms will not be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carlos B

Hello Carlos -

I think we messaged on FaceBook so we could get some additional information from you (?) We were having some issues with nonguests coming onto the property with coolers, grills, etc... and perhaps the server was confused about how to handle the situation. Regardless - there is no excuse for being rude. Thank you for your feedback. It really does help make us aware of issues we need to address. Thank you again, Karen

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hubby surprised me with 2 nights at The Islander and I cant say how much we enjoyed it. Check in was quick and easy, the room was more than we needed. Full kitchen, fridge & dishwasher! Vern at the pool bar was awesome, what a great guy. The pool bar food was super yummy & fresh. Shrimp tacos were my favorite. The breakfast buffet was a great option for $13. The pool was a bit warm but its July in the keys! Cant wait to go back and bring some friends!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosedmarli

Hello Neighbor -
RoseDMarli thank you for coming up the road to see us ! It's a great little getaway. You are correct the shrimp tacos are delicious. Next time you have to try the lobster mango version - YUM ! Everyone LOVES Vern. He has the BEST laugh : ) Come back soon !

Reviewed 18 July 2014

For Starters , I own a restaurant. I have worked in the service industry for 20 years myself and I know good service when I see it. My uncle and I decided to stay at the Islander earlier this week( the 13-15). I planned on staying for ONE night and I was so happy and relaxed at this spot I stayed an entire 3 days. Thanks to Kelly, a very helpful and sweet Front Desk manager, I was able to change my reservation three times prior to arriving. Kelly was literally emailing me maps and options to make it easier for me to choose my room ( I was traveling with a handicapped elderly ). Everyone around the hotel was so kind. If you happen to go here, visit Tammie in the gift shop. She helped my uncle to find a special sun burn cream after he was burned. p.s. Don't forget to check out the pool bar, Danielle was the best server I have ever seen in my life. Hands down, Thank you all for an amazing weekend.
Much love,
Jamie Barlow

1  Thank LaStellasRestaurant
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here on a family vacation for five nights. The entire experience was awesome. The property, rooms, staff were incredible. It is located in the middle section of Islamorada. Plenty of beach chairs for everyone and the restaurant pool side is great.

Room Tip: We stayed in a beach side room. None of the rooms are actually near the water, you have to walk dow...