“One of the most memorable meals ever!”
Review of Chef Michael's

Chef Michael's
Ranked #6 of 95 Restaurants in Islamorada
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A warm, inviting dining room with colorful local art adorning the walls. Small, sleek bar serving fine wine and beer. Tropical veranda seating for a lovely alfreso dinner or Sunday brunch. Fresh Local fish and seafood, Prime steak, attentive, friendly service.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We made a reservation for Chef Michaels at 5 pm on a Saturday. We got there a bit early but the hostess met us outside and sat us at our table without making us wait. Our waitress was Shell and she was fantastic. She explained the menu in a lot of detail and very carefully, making note that since we were the first customers of the night that the bread would be hot so to be careful with it. I thought that was really kind of her.
We made a special request for Lionfish, since that had been on my foodie bucket list. The restaurant made sure to catch lionfish that day and the chef prepared it whole for me. It was lightly spiced and came with a side of Pontchartrain sauce with crawfish and peppers in it. The fish was FANATASTIC. This was the best seafood I've had in a very long time. The meat was tender and flaky and the chef had sliced some parts across the fish so that the meat would come off easier. If you love exotic foods, getting this menu option is definitely a once in a lifetime thing you must try. Lionfish are an invasive species in Florida, so you're helping the environment too by eating one!! They are toxic, however the chef removes the poisonous spines, so what you get on your plate is completely edible. It came with a side of Pontartrain sauce which had peppers and crawfish mixed in with it.
My boyfriend got the filet hogfish with Ambassador sauce. This was also amazing, and both meals came with colorful potatoes that were just the right amount of crispness and tasted great with the sauces. We were also served complimentary bread with pesto sauce- I highly recommend trying the olive bread!!
The waitress came back frequently to make sure that everything was alright and took several great photos of us. Our water was also infused with lemons and limes, was very refreshing and the waitress always made sure the waters were filled at all times.
For dessert we got Key Lime Pie, which was sinful. It wasn't too sweet or too sour, and the graham crust was phenomenal. It also came with an edible flower on top too. The Chef was nice enough to have the dessert be on the house since we drove 2 hours to get there. Such amazing, personal service that you can't really find elsewhere!!
We sat outside, and the outdoor deck is surrounded by large fans so that you are not sweating or hot at all. The inside was quite nice too and the bathrooms were clean and immaculate.
I would definitely come back here next time my family is visiting and they want a once in a lifetime meal.

1  Thank threelittlefish856
Write a ReviewReviews (1,366)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We ate here one of our nights in Islamorada. The hostess was not the most friendly person but that is the only negative of the entire dinner. The selection of fish is great and changes based on what the owner buys that day or the day before. The fish can be prepared in a number of ways. the waiter is great at describing the types of fish and what method of preparation would be good with that fish. Food was excellent. Would make this a regular stop.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Do not miss this intimate dining experience while in Islamorada. Knowledgable, efficient and friendly staff coupled with the best food you will eat. Incredibly delicious and if you think you cannot afford the price tag then go out and rob a bank, it's worth it!

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We made reservations an arrived on time to a warm welcome from the hostess. She located us near the bar and a rather noisy table. I asked if we could relocate and she immediately took us to another table. We started with the most fantastic conch fritters I've ever had. They were filled with chunky conch, and beautifully seasoned, rich and flavorful. Took us back to our days in the Bahamas. I had the yellowtail snapper which was fresh, sweet, moist, and flavorful while the family munched their way through crispy duck. Our waiter was attentive, knew the menu well and answered our questions. The cream brûlée was disappointing as the custard had separated and there was no sign of vanilla bean, my apple tart was a little burnt on top, but the chocolate mousse cake was sensational. We'll be back on our next trip.

1  Thank Travelgal33480
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This restaurant was excellent in all aspects! I really enjoyed our server, shell-I hope that is spelled correct. From the start she gave my 4 year old his "menu" and etcha-sketch with the menu on the back, which he loved. Then, she went over the menu and special selections with a very smooth knowledge! Finally, she had Chef Michael stop by the table and he took it from there! He invited my son to bake a cake in the kitchen when he "finished" his meal-which he did get to do. What a meal as well! Highly recommend this restaurant no matter the person you feel welcome! Thank you chef Michael for awesome food and Shell for a great service and atmosphere!