“Breezy Palms and Ole Keys Charms”

Breezy Palms Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Just north and in the shadows of a cookie cutter Hampton Inn you'll find a charming relic from days gone by. Sitting on the private beach on one of the brightly colored Adirondack chairs, cares melt away. It is easy to envision other families frolicking in the waters, catching fish from the private dock, or enjoying a BBQ under the many swaying palms. This well manicured property has retained all the beauty that the Keys have to offer. If Mad Men were to look for a place for Don Draper to take his family, you could easily see him pulling his car in the parking lot and unloading the bags. It would seem to me that hotel business owners, need take a look around and realize historical authenticity is hip these days. A taste of the past is something those chains can't give ya . Breezy Palms harkens back to a very sweet time. Ok, off the soapbox, I guess you gather, I think this place is really cool.

My friends and I stayed in one of the cottages which were directly beside the beach. We stayed two nights on one side and two nights on the other, due to availability at the time that we booked. This gave us a chance to see what each side had to offer. Each where one bedroom king with a pullout couch. The cottages had kitchens that were well stocked and had we stayed longer, we would have taken full advantage of fixing meals and could have very easily made just about anything. Well, that is to say, we had the tools to make a lot of food, I'm not sure if it would have turned out...but I digress. Both sides were extremely clean and I didn't feel the need to whip out a haznet suit or some black light before sitting down. A dvd player was even included and dvd's were available for a reasonable price at the front desk. We thought this was a nice offering had the weather been poor or we had an evening we felt like a movie. Any one who has had the misfortune of being in the Keys when it rains knows that next to being in at a hospital, time seems to stand still there and is tortuous if you don't have anything to do. After the first viewing of the "things to do in the Keys" channel, trust me...there is no need to watch it again.

The staff at this property was off the charts when it came to meeting any requests. Everyone was friendly and of the five days we were there it seemed like the place was staffed by a bunch of worker bees. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the property is being cared for and the owner takes pride in his investment. The best part of all is that pricing for this location isn't outrageous. We have stayed at the Hampton Inn, for many years, and it is a fine location but it is down right expensive. Over the years, our group has changed and the numbers have dwindled. We needed to figure out a way to make our travels a little more budget friendly and decided give this place a try. How lucky are we???? I only wish we would have given them a try years ago. Previously I never even gave it a second look, having been content to go with the flow. Again, nothing against Hampton Inn, it is a fine place, but what it lacks is character.

The only complaints that I had with the Breezy Palms experience was the pull out bed at our second location. As with those mattresses tend to be, it was ...wellllll....a little on the thin side. Ever the former Girl Scout, we just threw the cushions under our sheets and made the bed up that way. Problem adjusted. It wasn't perfect, but it's The Keys!!!! So I'd suggest the management look into that. Other than that, I give the place a huge thumbs up and we'll be back.

Room Tip: We were very pleased with the cottage. It was comfortable for four people but you must be ok sleepin...
4  Thank kckarla

Reviewed 30 April 2013

The property is clean and comfortable. If you're expecting five star luxery, this isn't the place for you, but if you like cozy, relaxed, and efficient, then make youreself at home! The little beach area is very nice, the pool is clean and private, and the staff is friendly. I only have a couple of things that kept me from giving Breezy Palms a five star rating. One is that we booked a two room suite that was supposed to sleep ten people (two bedrooms with two double beds each and a pull out sofa in the living room) and when we got to our room there were two bedrooms with ONE bed each and two pull out sofas in the living room ... therefore the room only accomadated eight people. The lady at the front desk was very friendly about the situation and gave us a roll-a-way bed for the first night, then another "standard" room the second night to accomadate our entire party comfortably. It was an annoyance, for sure, but with such a large party it's hard to keep everyone happy :) Another thing is that we weren't informed that our room would be on the second floor (or that there were no elevators, for that matter) and two people in our party have major knee issues, so that sucked. We all agreed that we would definiely stay here again next year, but we'll make sure we get first floor rooms.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so keep that in mind when requesting a room. The hotel sign is REALLY hard...
1  Thank ChefMissy
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This was my second time staying here for a dive trip. You can't beat the views and amenities for the price. I thought the beds were great, AC almost works too good. There are two great restaurants within walking distance, great seafood at Lazy Days. No complaints, we will be back!

1  Thank Rcopith
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We, a family of 4, have just returned from a 2 night stay at Breezy Palms resort.
Overall our stay was very good, and was only marred by the bad quality of the beds (we had a bungalow).

First things first, the location is central, the grounds are spacious and beautiful, and the vibe of the place (tranquil is the word) is great. The pool is warm and clean, the 'beach' is well kept, free coffee at reception, free donuts on Sunday morning, pool towels at your disposal, is has truly great service standards for a hotel this size.

The main (and only) downside was the quality of the beds in the bungalow. The beds were sagging and soft, with automatic rolling towards the middle. In addition, the aircon (placed 20 cms above the bed) was incredibly loud.

That said, the size of the room was excellent, everything worked and is was kept clean very well. Also noteworthy the bungalows were amongst the cheaper rooms of Breezy Palms, more expensive rooms might well have better bedding.

All in all very good, a new investment in beds will put this to a rating of 5!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mvanderh
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Breezy palms has a great staff. The grounds are safe and clean. I have been going to breezy palms since I was 5. I am 44 and return with my family yearly. The rooms are dated but overall I love the grounds and the location.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 7 April 2013

The rooms are dated, there is no tiki bar, no cable, no resturaunt, tackle shop or water sports vendor on premesis, it is boring and has no nightly scheduled activities.. In other words This place is exactly what I look for when I go to the keys. A laid back place with well manicured grounds, BBQ pits, great fishing off the Jetty and Nothing going on to distract me from the business of relaxing..

Would highly recommend to anyone or family looking for a laid back old keys experience.. This is five stars to me.. If you are expecting room service, a concierge and live music you will be disappointed..

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kam2013
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We enjoyed our stay here, no beach to speak of, but a very relaxing hotel on the ocean. No rooms are bad rooms, and we stayed in the "hotel" room where we had a peek a boo view of the ocean. Rooms were clean and it was nice to be able to pick up a cup of coffee in the morning, in the lobby area. The only negative was that we had hoped to stay another night at the last minute, but there was nothing left that was affordable. We would go here again

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family