“First Dive With IDC-Fun Time!”

Islamorada Dive Center
Ranked #14 of 159 Tours in Islamorada
Astoria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“First Dive With IDC-Fun Time!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My boyfriend and I dove with IDC a couple weeks ago and both of us were really happy with both the dives and the crew. I reached out to Eric a couple months before our travel and told him about a freak-out I had while in the Bahamas on a Discover Scuba course. I have a little bit of a panic thing at times. He assured me it would be no problem and that I was in good hands. I was really determined to get down and enjoy myself. Pool course for me (my boyfriend is certified) and then the both of us would dive 2x in the afternoon. Perfect!

IDC was a short (2 minute) walk from our room at the Post Card Inn (nice place)
Staff is super nice and friendly and down to earth. Mark would be my instructor for the day and we were joined by Chanelle and Dirk, who would both be working at the dive shop for the summer. Pool session was great. Mark was super clear with his instruction, was patient, confident and knowledgable. I also told them that I can some times get a bit nervous, but this was something that I really wanted to do.. they were all "We got you".
Boat out with the pool crew and Stacey from the shop who would be assisting-some other certified divers too, but in a separate group. Eric was the captain for the day.
First dive I was about 5 feet from the bottom then by nerves got the best of me. Mark did his best to calm me down but I needed to get up. From what I heard it was fun down there :(
SECOND DIVE--I felt like I might freak out and need to go up, but listen, Mark was all "hold up, lets just breath for a minute"--minus the actual speech but you get the picture, and we did and it was AWESOME. So, so good. My pool buddies were happy, b/f happy, me happy, I held his hand pretty much the entire time, but whatever. I was so mad when I had to come up like, no way we had been down that long.
Long story longer, I set out to overcome a fear and the folks at IDC helped me achieve that.
While I was on the boat after my failed first dive I was pretty mad at myself. Stacey was encouraging and said, you know "We all do the best we can, no need to be upset". Sweet, supportive and professional in and out of the water.
We hope to be back soon.

Visited May 2014

Hong Kong, China
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Good experience”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We did a 2 tank dive in the Fingers and Captain Grumpy.
We were 6 certified divers for 1 Divemaster. I think it's a bit too much especially when another crew member was left on the boat just helping you out on and off the boat. There is no harm putting another DM/Instructor in the water for more safety.
They disembarked 2 spear fishers because we were too many divers and honestly I was not very confortable having those guys close to me while diving...

The boat was in very good condition, lots of space, water, snacks...
The rented gear also almost brand new, Aqualung bcd and fins, can't remember the regs.

The second dive was the best: shallow reef, around 20ft lots of marine life, nurse sharks, stingray, turtle, porcupine fish...

Overall a nice experience but I will emphasize on the protection of marine life because there are always divers who think they rule but they fin-kick every time and touch what they can. All dive centers have to remind people for every dive!

Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“very good experience and awesome boat”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We booked a snorkel tour with this company and I booked it specifically to go see the davis reef to get to rub the little buddha that is sunk there. After boarding the boat the captain told us the program and the buddha wasn t on the schedule. He changed the schedule when I told him that it was on the schedule when we called. He updated the route and we were very appreciative of that .
The staff was very friendly and gave us some informations about the wildlife.
We went to two different spots, the visibility was great and the wildlife was definitively there !!! I swam with a freaking hammerhead shark (video here http://youtu.be/3LULLFu23Rg)

all in all awesome day !

traveling cat
183 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Great shop, great crew”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

They haven't been open more than a couple of years, I think, but we've been diving with a good many of the staff members for years at other shops. Eric has done a great job on getting a top notch shop up and running and good boats and good crew. Diving in the Keys is always fun so we return here time after time and will keep coming back to this dive shop as it if full of our friends and dive buddies. This particular trip the wind and waves were less than desirable so everybody wanted off the boat in a hurry and the crew is able to get you off in a hurry but they will still make sure that you are fine to go if you say "hey, i'm not quite ready to get in the water". Had a lot of students on most of our days diving and the students kick up a lot of sand and grab the coral and do everything wrong that most everyone has done when they were beginners too. The only thing I might suggest is to make it a rule not to wear gloves. Don't really need them if you are diving reefs and not going down to a sunken boat and people are a lot more reluctant to grab a piece of coral if they will be touching it with their hands. We only dove one day inside the Marine Sanctuary and the dive masters told everyone not to touch anything or take anything and also followed by that rule. So we didn't have any of the problems that Jan L and Jacqali suggested but everybody has a different experience. Our dive masters always pointed out what they saw but didn't move things away from their homes or harass them in any way. usually our dive masters were telling people to hang back and not get too close to the scorpion fish or whatever. They did have spear guns and were doing lion fish eradication on most dives which is good. And when a moray eel home was nearby, the eel got a free lion fish for dinner. We enjoyed our dives, albeit a bit chilly and more wind and waves than we like but we'll come back.

bradenton sarasota
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“You're on your own”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Seems odd to be writing a less than stellar review as we chose this outfit based on great reviews. We are certified and always go with a master as we don't dive more than one trip a year. We were rushed off the boat, once in our dive master was great and a marine biologist to boot! She took care to keep an eye on her divers, checking in with us often. Nice experience. The second dive we had a different captain who told us to take our time to check our gear and to jump in. That's more like it. We also had a different dive master. Certainly a nice enough fellow, however, if your certified, you're on your own. He did not check in with us and we all got lost and ended up surfacing at different times and locations. Not a good experience. Our third and last dive was with yet another captain, he was good. My husband did have gauge failure with rented gear. We will not dive here again and would not recommend unless you are a more than proficient diver who feels comfortable on their own.

1 Thank CulinarySojourns