“You have to go there!~”

Robbie's of Islamorada
Ranked #11 of 161 Tours in Islamorada
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Captain Michaels for charter, nice gift shops, feed the tarpon.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Well, Robbies is very well run and pleasant but I have to say the snorkling was only mediocre. We went to two sites, Alligator Alley and somewhere around the light house. Neither had any spectacular fish around that day. Could have just been a bad day, but the weather was perfect and the waters out there were terrific.

Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

Paid a ton of money to "bobber fish" for tarpon on a 4 hour trip. Got skunked, of course. We stayed in the same spot for 3 hours before we finally moved, and the spot he took me to was very near his boat marina.

During the trip, both rods' ceramic eyelets broke, one cutting the line. No back up either. Wonder what would've happened if we had a fish? Just didn't look serious...just tourist rip off theatre.

Perhaps the worst part of the trip was when he (not me) snagged a crab pot and snapped the line and was gonna just leave the rig-hook, mono and bobber! I had to intervene and ask him to retrieve it as we were leaving. We're relying on people like that to take care of our wildlife?

Robbie's is a cool place indeed. Perhaps they need to be careful who they approve as charter captains.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

This is a funb place to check out. We were staying in Marathon at Cocoplum Resort and I found this prior to heading down.

At Robbies, they nursed a large Tarpon that was injured back to health. it lived near their dock and would swim out to sea I guess at night. After a while, it started bringin friends in. I saw numerous 3 foot tarpon, quite a few 4 footers and one that looked to be over 5 feet long - swimming right under the dock i was standing on in 4-5 feet of crystal clear water. Very cool.

There were a lot of pelicans there too, as they were mooching the fish people were trying to feed to the tarpons. I guess pelicans are Florida's version of seagulls or pigens in the cities up north. Still it was cool throwing fish to them and watching them take the fish from the tarpons.

Kayaking there was really pretty cool. You can find the 4 foot and sometimes ever the 8 foot American Crodiles that swim in the mangrove swmpa there. We saw the 4 footer but didn't get over to where the 8 footer hangs out. It was really fun going through the mangrove trees which were low enough that you could pull yours4elf along without using your paddles in some areas. And the fish - they were everywhere. The water was really clear and clean, so you culd see to the bottom and see schools of them. When we came out of the magrove s, we rowed over to another mangrove group that looked like a small island, where we saw 3 black tipped reef sharks just swimming by, each about 3 feet long.

I only wish we had the time to rent the wave runners. Not doing that was my only regret with this place. Also, I don;t know what the restaurant was like, as we went down the road to explore a bit more and found a nice restaurant.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

My wife and I spent a morning fishing on the Captain Michael. We had a great time on this party fishing boat, even though there was about 30 people on board it did not feel at all crowded and did not matter that we did not have one of the "prime spots" at the stern of the boat as we caught as many (if not more!) fish than those at the stern. The Captain and crew were really friendly and very good at explaining how to fish and lending a hand when necessary. The crew were happy to fillet the fish when we got back to the dock - all we had to do was grill/fry and eat them. It is also worth stopping at Robbies just to have alook around, there are a lot of interesting souvenir stalls and a lot going on