“Our beach wedding”
Review of Caribbean Catering

Caribbean Catering
Ranked #60 of 96 Restaurants in Islamorada
Price range: US$25 - US$60
Description: Owners Dave Mansen and Debbie Pierog are the Islamorada wedding catering experts! With over 15 years restaurant experience, they have catered hundreds of Islamorada weddings and other special events throughout the Florida Keys. David and Debbie are fully involved in each Florida Keys catering event. Caribbean Catering was created so that Islamorada and the Upper Florida Keys would have a quality catering service, capable of handling a party for ten friends or a wedding for hundreds. Our intent is to develop a one of a kind experience at each event, delivering excellent gourmet food, outstanding service and a personal ambiance derived from our client's dreams and ideas.
Reviewed 31 March 2017

Perfect doesn't say enough about Caribean catering. Debbie and her staff went above and beyond. The food was delicious,the decor was breath taking,the service was second to none.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

We recently moved to an oceanfront condo from a home here in Islamorada. We decided to have a party to celebrate finally downsizing!! The guest list continued to grow so we hired Caribbean Catering for the party. They provided a bartender, a server and a chef.
They came promptly about an hour in advance to set everything up. The food was excellent. The bar tender took care of our thirsty friends and the server was very attentive. I have nothing but good things to say for Debbie and her staff. Everyone who came seemed to have a great time. We would definitely use Caribbean Catering again.

Reviewed 20 April 2016

Without writing a review that is so lengthy it detours you from reading it, here it is plain and simple:

Our initial thought of this company was great, we met with them, chose our food items, set our price, and signed the contract (This was about 8 months prior to the wedding). Due to some unforeseen changes (pretty common in weddings, I would say), our request and details needed to be adjusted. Debbie (the OWNER), specifically, was UN-able to handle these adjustments. The changes in the price due to the adjustments seemed irrational, and because of this, we asked if we could go over the numbers again, requesting an itemized list. This not only seems like a reasonable request (especially when you are talking about spending THOUSANDS of dollars) but it seems like a simple one.

Not only did Debbie refuse to provide said list, but she became very defensive and rude when I wasn't willing to accept that answer. The cherry on top was when my mom called a day later to diffuse the tension between us, and ended up getting YELLED at.

What kind of owner not only argues about providing an itemized list but YELLS at a customer. It was very disrespectful and eye-opening how little she cares about her customers.

...Oh...and she refused to refund the deposit of $500 because she didn't deem her actions and disrespect as something that allowed us to opt out of the contract (Mind you, we are still 4 months from our wedding). Wait, What?

5  Thank J. WayNe D
Caribcatering, Owner at Caribbean Catering, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

"Our request and details needed to be adjusted"! What you wanted was the price to be lowered several months after you signed a contract without changing any menus or lowering the headcount or accepting less in terms of rentals and decor. Additionally, you threatened to go online and damage my reputation if I didn't acquiesce, which you did here and at Google and at yelp. Hopefully the readers will note that you did not use our service but feel qualified to judge it. We do not refund deposits because weddings book many months sometimes a year in advance and we often turn down other customers because the date is taken.

Reviewed 6 November 2014

They were so very good for our daughters wedding, the food was tasty and hot, on a day which was rather wet to say the least. They did so much more than was expected of them.

1  Thank Knights59
Reviewed 21 September 2014

If I could give zero stars I would. When I first met Debbie she seemed awesome. I explained I already had a caterer and at that time only needed tables chairs setup and all the deco. This was at least 10 months before the wedding date and she was fine with everything. She actually said there is enough business to go around. Skip to present day and my chef has passed away. He was not just our chef but a friend. Giving her first right of refusal I called and left a detailed message with no response. Several days later I emailed her to give an update and add items to our list. She sent me back the nastiest email "WE are out of town for the month of Sept so I don't receive phone messages, only email. WE always close for the month of September but I guess you don't know that ..." How would I? She further goes on to drop me as a client. This is 2 months before my wedding! Thankfully I have found an angel in Mike Forster and Mangrove Mike's!! I highly recommend steering clear of Caribbean Caterers.

5  Thank Darcy W
Caribcatering, Owner at Caribbean Catering, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2016

As she says in her email, "she already had a caterer booked" , we were not her caterer ever, nor did we say we would cater for her. We only were going to setup tables & chairs as a favor to the person doing the catering since we were also friends with him. When he passed away and she emailed us to as she says "give us first right of refusal" we were on vacation , she seemed to think that was rude to tell her the reason we took 2 weeks to respond to her voicemail was because we were on vacation. She had a very bad attitude because of the delayed response. By the time we got back with her two weeks later she told us she had booked Mangrove Mikes catering, who includes all the tables, chairs with their package. Live and Learn , when trying to do someone a favor you get shafted in the long run. She was told from day one that this was not an average thing we would do to setup tables & chairs for another caterer??? It was a favor to the chef who was catering since we know him also. Really she thinks we are in the wrong???