“Magical Mystery Tour”

Ranked #7 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“Magical Mystery Tour”
Reviewed 20 January 2011

The magic-when you walk through the front door and are greeted by either Wally or JoAnn, who are both the charming and down to earth caretakers of this first class Bed and Breakfast Inn. Also part of the magic is the realization that the lush grounds and decorations have taken years to accomplish. The mystery- looking for hours on end at all the eclectic art pieces collected by owner Thorn, around the entire property.
First off, the room we had Room #3 was immaculate. Bed was the most comfortable we have ever had and the pillows, well lets say if I could have fit them in my suitcase I would have taken them. Kidding on the theft aspect of course. Soft, Fluffy and wonderful.

We had a small kitchenette which was wonderful for my husband who eats constantly. Our private patio area was spectacular. Every day we would sit and just enjoy the surroundings, rich vegetation, waterfalls, and the two most beautiful birds, I think parrots while enjoying our pina colada's.

The common area called the orchid patio was just beautiful. JoAnn and her daughter clean the rooms every day and we would come home to a clean and fresh smelling room.

There also is a small pool and a sunporch.

Breakfast was served every morning at 8:30am on our private patio. Every room at Casa Thorn has a private patio. JoAnne is a wonderful cook, day one- Fresh apple bread pudding, bacon, homemade home-fries, fresh juice and coffee. The next three days also had excellent breakfast dishes.
One of our favorite aspects of staying at Casa Thorn was Wally who is the husband of JoAnne and caretaker. He has a knowledge of information and was so helpful in dinner suggestions, off the beaten path places to go, you name it, and he gave you every second of his attention to help in your itinerary. Although JoAnne and Wally have only been with Casa Thorn for three months, they are a wealth of knowledge having lived in the Keys for years. They both put their heart and soul into making your visit just perfect and honestly seem to love what they do. My husband and I will most definitely be back. I recommend Casa Thorn if you like peaceful surroundings, relaxation, caring caretakers and very reasonable prices.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lilmaggie74

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 12 January 2011

What a wonderful stay. The staff was exceptional!! I stayed there with my boyfriend and my elderly dog. On the spur of the moment we decided to drive to Key West and while we were down there really wanted to stay for the sunset but wouldn't have enough time to take my dog out. So on a spur of the moment idea called Casa Thorn and was treated like I was family and they happily insisted that we watch the sunset and she would take care of my dog. The staff was wonderful and personal. Did everything to make us feel like family. The breakfast was amazing and the location was romantic. I couldn't ask for a better expirence.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed at Casa Thorn Thanksgiving weekend 2010. We had our 2 Yorkies with us, and also some firends. We stayed in the Moroccan Room which was very beautiful. Large king bed, beautiful canopy bed, very large bathroom with huge jaccuzi tub, shower was just right for 1 person. Refridgerator in room made it great to keep the dog food and waters cold. The room was beautifully decorated, very elegant.
Our friends stayed in room #3 which also had a king bed with a small kitchen.
The whole place was very uniquely decorated. lots of unusaul things everywhere. It definitely was not decorated over-night! There were several sitting areas outside to relax in the enclosed large patio area near the pool. lots of plants. The "Girls" (the Yorkies) had a blast running around outside and they could not escape.
The owner also has small female Yorkie who loved playing with my girls.
Would have loved to been able to spend a few more days there and spent more time enjoying the place. We did alot of running around during the day (trip to Key West etc) and hung out in the sitting areas in the evenings.
The breakfast was awesome! The best I have experienced at a B&B so far! Freah OJ, tea or coffee, egg stuffed french toast with pecans on top, pan fried potatoes, oranges, that was just one of the breakfasts, it was different each morning and freshly cooked just for you and brought to your sitting area just outside your room when you wanted it.
I will definitely return to Casa Thorn with my 2 Yorkies in tow and stay longer next time.
This is defintely a Hidden Gem in the heart of the Keys! You can take a day trip drive and head to Key West for the afternoon and return to your paradise at Casa Thorn for relaxing by the pool and a beautiful place to lay your head!

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank Janean H
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We booked a stay at Casa Thorn over New Year's Eve, after hearing of our friends recent honeymoon stay there. Speaking with Ms. Trainer over the phone, I got the feeling I was planning a visit to a friendly family's home. Arriving, we found it to be a very hospitable family indeed!

It was clear that Ms. Trainer, Wally, Jo Ann, and a young woman tending our room were all eager to make our stay pleasant. They were particularly helpful in accommodating our breakfasts tastes by preparing an excellent vegetarian breakfast of yogurt, tart berry cobbler, and fruit. They gave helpful information about restaurants and places to visit, and their approach to serving breakfast was responsive and thoughtfully unobtrusive. They were friendly and it was clear they were happy to chat or let us go our own way.

As pleasant as our hosts were, what made the place special to me were the room and the grounds. They were exotic in an interesting and beautiful way, this coming from someone who usually surrounds himself with clean, modern lines. Everywhere I looked, there was an interesting statue, piece of furniture, vegetation, or animal (parrots! dogs! cute not noisy!). Our room (The Secret Garden Room) was an absolute treat. It managed to combine a feeling of full privacy with lots of windows and mirrors. Its furnishings carried on the exotic theme, and everything looked and smelled fresh, as if the room had been recently redone and the linens new. Our arrival the first night was greeted by a wonderful breeze billowing a translucent privacy curtain covering the screened, open glass slider that led to our private garden.

We spent quite a lot of time in our garden, and it was a beautiful, quiet retreat (no mosquitoes!). In addition to eating breakfast there, it became a place that made even the work we brought along seem on vacation!

The refrigerator, wine glasses, and plush robes provided in the room fit our stay perfectly!

Before I learned of Casa Thorn, I looked on-line for hotel rooms in Islamorada. I wanted our stay to be special (not lowest cost), and it looked to me like I would have had to pay double what I did at Casa Thorn, for the typical resort version of special.

We live in Florida, and often feel our daily home is in paradise. Our experience at Casa Thorn was a delightful retreat, even against that backdrop!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TTraveler24
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Very Magical!!!!! Thorn is precious, Wally and Joanne are so helpful and friendly.!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dottiej1
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed 6 December 2010

I stayed at Casa Thorn for 19 days and loved every one of them! I came to the Keys to dive and to scout out the area for possible relocation, so I was there for quite a lengthy stay.

The grounds are an amazing combination of tropical trees and plants combined with whimsical statuary and small Koi ponds fed by numerous fountains. Very fun!

I expected mosquitoes, but was pleasantly surprised to find none. I learned that Thorn had installed a sophisticated mosquito repellent system, and it worked wonderfully.

Earlier reviews mention Brian and Kathy as staff, and while they may have been as wonderful as the reviews would indicate, Casa Thorn is now staffed by Wally and Jo Anne. I honestly can't recall better, more hard-working and enjoyable people to be around. They make you feel like you're visiting your best friends who are committed to making your stay luxurious and memorable! Wally and Jo Anne, a heartfelt thanks to you!

On future trips to Islamorada, booking where to stay will be easy...It's Casa Thorn for me!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank DiverRob55
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Info:
We stayed in Room 3
There were three (3) total rooms were occupied during our stay.
We stayed for three nights.
Review:
We loved our room!!! It was amazing. There was nothing creepy, or dirty or troublesome at all. My only one complaint was that, being a light sleeper, the air conditioner woke me up once or twice but there were NO other sounds to be heard! We felt completely secluded. After a pair of ear plugs, I slept amazingly! Not enough good things could be said about the staff there. Ms. Thorn was the picture of hospitality. The breakfast was so good too! They took custom orders! The banana pancakes were delicious, the egg bake was incredible, and the french toast was some of the best I have ever had!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple