“the way the Keys were when I was a kid”
Review of Kon-Tiki Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Kon-Tiki Resort
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Ft Lauderdale, FL
“the way the Keys were when I was a kid”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

This place is stuck in a time warp in a good way. Just the kind of place I stayed in as a kid on the summer family vacation. We've been here a dozen times over the last several years. Always well maintained. Never any crowds. Great place to take a small boat. The boat ramp is adequate for smaller boats, larger ones might be dependant on tides to launch and retrieve. Don't bother if your looking for room service, up to date furnishings. This place is about being in the Keys with family; fishing, swimming, relaxing. The rooms equipped with kitchens have everything you need to make dinner. Bring your own wine cork opener!

Room Tip: check out the website for description of the rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank toates

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Chiefland, Florida
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is a gem, it is not a 5 star resort, it is not a new structure. That is why we go here. It has charm and that old florida feel. It is quiet and very family friendly. The staff was nothing short of amazing. Our boat broke down and they had someone come to the resort and fix it. The grounds are kept immaculate! We wouldn't stay any where else, this was our 12th year there.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank flahuntress
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I live in Miami and just wanted a quiet getaway for a night and I was pleasantly surprised. It is very clean, typical island decor but unique in it's own way, and quiet. There is a small but nice pool, awesome hammocks to relax in and they are located right on the Florida Bay. There is a dock and you can fish right off of it. I loved staying here. It is located in one of my favorite parts of the Keys and is close to great restaurants and night life. The staff is really nice and accommodating. I am actually getting ready to book another quick getaway and I am going to be heading back to Kon-Tiki. If you are looking for overdone go elsewhere. But if you want down to earth and nicely simple, go no further.

Room Tip: call for better rates
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank miami71
Saint Cloud, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We came here after reading some mixed reviews about the facility. I called after reading the reviews and received a refreshing conversation from a lady (Mary) at the desk who told me they had a lovely property that is kept up beaultfully, is very clean, with a charming small pool. She stated that they were not perfect beacause it was in Florida and the Keys. You must keep your doors closed, etc. as you would at home. I was impressed with her candor and we kept our resevation. She was at the desk when we arrived and I thanked her. The a gentleman by the name of George helped us move it but would not take a tip for helping but thanked us for visiting paradise.

We arrived at our room #2, a beautiful one bedroom king suite, that was exceptionally clean, well stocked as an apartment, and decorated in a lovely Keys approach.

The suite had a a full kitchen, 2 TV's, , CD layer, DVD player, even a VCR player, hot tub, and two bathrooms. It could not have been cleaner and had an excellent maid service.

We were delighed from the first moment until the last. . The pool was very clean and clear. There were some tree dropings beacuse it has large trees around it. They skmmed it four times a day. We enjoyed it every day.

We will be back.

Room Tip: If you like a beautiful one bedroom suite get #2.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rto4444
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Very clean and cozy. Beds were very comfy. Great pool and well landscaped with great boat docs and sunset view. If your looking for a good cheap place to stay. Kon tiki is where Togo!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Fishermencigerate
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I've been skimming the reviews as I went to write mine to see what other travelers experienced and it seems like if you were lucky enough not to have bug issues than your stay was picture perfect paradise. I WOULD NOT take that risk again! We booked this hotel MONTHS in advance for a wedding that was at Pierre's. I was one of the first to book and carefully selected cottage 6 and then had friends book cottage 5 so we could have the patio together. When we got there it was paradise! The rooms are old and not updated but very clean and tidy. We swiftly "moved" in and set off for the pool. As the day wore on I did start to notice some carpenter ants here and there but thought nothing of it. I am from Florida and understand that you can't control every insect especially in significantly old cottages right on the water. We attended a welcome dinner at the resort and when I went back to our cottage to use the bathroom (after it was dark) I noticed a lot more carpenter ants. i killed about 6 - 10 of them with my shoe and coming out of the bathroom I noticed them climbing up the wall...looked to the ceiling and there were HUNDREDS of them!!!! DISGUSTING and creepy! I quickly called the emergency front desk number and they came to the rescue to help clean and then discovered a nest outside. We were moved to another cottage and had all our friends help move all our stuff. Okay fine...no problem. The next morning the lady comes by our porch to tell us our cottage #6 is ready to move back. I was quite surprised. i didn't realize we had to move back and knew (because I live in FL) that those ants would not be totally gone. I asked her what would happened if we came back from the wedding & there were ants and she said, "we'll deal with that then if it happens." We had to pack up everything again and move. SURE ENOUGH...got back from the wedding at 12:30 am and there were about a 2 dozen ants in the bedroom roaming around. I got on my phone again to call her and she said they were sold out tonight..."what do you want me to do?". REALLY??? That is why i asked earlier in the day!! She said she would call around to find us a place but we just ended up sleeping on the friends futon for the night. Which was rock hard. I told her I wanted ALL my money back because I had to pack up for the 3rd time and she started arguing with me about how that was not fair. The next day we checked out and she only credited me one night with some ridiculous reasons as to why the first night fee should still be charged in tact. It is an awful way to do business and they will not receive any word of mouth recommendations from me or any of the other 8 - 10 people we traveled with for the weekend. I promised them I would leave this review and no one seemed concerned about it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sborgia
farmington hills michigan
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We arrived mid-week and found it a perfect place for R&R. Our room was attractive and the kitchen was well equipped. I especially liked swimming (altho small) in the warm freshwater pool. The grounds were immaculate and the staff helpful with suggestions for nearby restaurants, shopping and entertainment. We loved Lazy Days for lunch and enjoyed watching the fishing boats come in at 4p.m. at Bud and Mary's marina.

Room Tip: We stayed in #11 and would love to come back.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple