“Paul and Magda gave us the wedding of our dreams!”

Coconut Cove Resort and Marina
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Paul and Magda gave us the wedding of our dreams!”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

From the very first time I talked to Paul on the phone, he made me feel at ease and promised my wedding day would be stress free and the best day of my life! He delivered on that promise and gave me the wedding of my dreams! Magda and Paul are amazing wedding coordinators and gave me everything I asked for and more! The location is to die for, and the wedding went flawless! Magda is an amazing photographer and took some of the most BEAUTIFUL pictures I have ever seen! She also created my bouquet to look exactly like a picture I sent her and more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. They are truly amazing people and gave me a wedding that is still talked about as the "BEST WEDDING EVER" from my guests!!! Thank you both for your amazing work!

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Mkovacich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Paul and Magda promised us a dream wedding, and fulfilled our promise. My husband and I got married at Coconut Cove on 10-10-10 and had the most amazing experience, it was better than we could've ever imagined. The resort is very quirky and is set in an extremely beautiful location. We had the entire resort to ourselves and we really loved that about this place. We had the beach and the pool entirely to ourselves, and we spend the majority of the time (up to the wedding) hanging out with our friends at the pool. And, by the way, the pool is awesome!

Magda and Paul are wonderful and took care of our every need. Paul promised a stress free wedding--and made it just that. He really made sure that I felt like it was my world and my day and could have anything I wanted. Magda was lovely and came to check on me the morning of the wedding and brought my bouquet so I could see. Basically--it was perfect. The ceremony was beautiful and very special. The reception area was decorated beautifully. The DJ was cool, he was very easy to work with and played the music we liked...we were so happy with everything. Cake, food, drinks. The tiki bar was in use till the wee hours of the morning. We could not have asked for anything more. The rooms could use some updating, but they were clean and functionable.

Aside from coconut cove, there is amazing food close by...there are also plenty of bars, fishing and things to do if you plan on hanging out for a while.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Angela S
philadelphia
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Paul, Magda and their staff are amazing. They took all of our ideas and made them happen even better than we anticipated. Every detail was attended to and they were on-site and available at all times. We had 130 guests and every one of them said it was the best wedding they have ever attended. We had a beach bonfire Friday night, ceremony and reception Saturday night, and brunch on Sunday. All three events were professionally handled, food was terrific, and I can't say enough about how perfect the entire weekend was. The fireworks at the reception were fabulous and a great surprise for our guests.
Thank you Paul and Magda for making Jaime and Shane's dreams come true!!!
From a very happy mother of the bride.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank mjbaPhiladelphia
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 13 November 2011

What a jerk. Beautiful location, great sales pitch. Not treated like a valued guest and after spend $30,000 for a "dream wedding" I was left feeling disappointed. Over promised, under preformed.. Once you are there, you are left alone. What i would have given for a proper event cordinator. Someone to give direction and keep the wedding on track. Paul is not a nice person. Basically, sold a promise of "stress free" and given a crying bride and a quite car ride home. Oh, and the first night we had to ask Magda to clean up the used condoms all around the property. I didn't what my dog to eat them.... that's the truth..

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kevin s
Coconutcove85, General Manager at Coconut Cove Resort and Marina, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
The wedding critique has already been addressed in the response to Jessica's review. The condoms on the grounds were in fact used but not in the way that may be conveyed in the guest's response. The guest arrived just after the end of the month long Fantasy Fest celebrations in Key West (similar to Mardi gras). A group of revelers staying at Coconut Cove Resort, brought some of the antics that go on in Key West back to our resort. The condoms were used as party favors, water balloons, and balloons with messages written on them with magic markers. Our beautiful Tiki bar in a tropical island estate setting leads to much merriment, but we do not condone all behavior that may be tolerated in Key West.

We constantly, clean and groom our beautiful 7 acre estate while maintaining the natural surroundings. Our sincere apology to the guest and his dog for what they found in the parking lot. We are pet friendly, and strive to maintain safe and pleasant areas to walk pets.
Wellington, Florida
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We planned our wedding for two years and spent our life savings. Paul really sold us this venue and he promised he would be there to help us make everything perfect. The night of the wedding he did not keep that promise. The DJ they hired for the evening was TERRIBLE!!! He ruined our first dance we had been taking private classes for 3 months and he knew how important it was. He started the song when I was changing! Then when he re started it the song was half way over! He never announced anything we had to remind him to cut the cake, father daughter dance and even the garter toss! He completely forgot to do the money dance. Paul was no where to be found ! It was incredibly stressful because we had to run around to do everything.Did I mention that two of our photographers cameras were stolen with our
wedding pictures in it......... The next day we calmly asked Paul if we could have a meeting so we could discuss how disappointed we were. Paul was Very aggressive he got in my face and told me to go to he'll. Once they get your check you are on your own!!! I would never book this venue they are sooooo mean and aggressive and once they are paid they don't care!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Jessica N
It is unfortunate that Kevin and Jessica felt compelled to make their first contributions to Trip Advisor full of skewed statements and untruths even though they had complimented our wedding services, even highly recommended us to a prospective wedding couple who were touring the property the morning after the wedding. We strive to make every wedding an event that is talked about for years as the “best wedding I have ever been to” no matter if is a elopement package or a big gala. Our 16 year award winning wedding reputation talks for itself, in fact this is the only negative comment you can find from a wedding couple who have recently had their wedding at our property. I am confident that Kevin and Jessica's friends and family are scratching their heads wondering about the bride and grooms' comments. Those who attended the weekend celebration have been talking about what a great time it was. The party started at our Tiki bar on Friday afternoon for their rehearsal dinner celebration, followed by the wedding on Saturday and went on until the wee hours of the morning on Sunday ending with a farewell breakfast.

The owners(a wedding planning team), wedding coordinator, the manager, and an experienced lead banquet server all worked to make this a great event. Far and away our wedding couples enjoy the flexibility of our private estate setting. There does not have to be a strict time line, the party does not have end at a set time like a country club or most other hotels. For example, we will cut the cake when and where the bride and groom want it, the fireworks are never announced as they are a surprise for wedding guests while the bride and groom dance for their first time as husband and wife.

There is no one more sorry than the owners if a miscue with the DJ caused discord for the bride. The DJ hiccup was right after a letter from the bride's father (who did not attended the wedding) was partially read to the bride unexpectedly by a cousin during the toast at which she interrupted and left in tears, culminating with a negligent photographer hired by the bride and groom who supposedly lost all of their wedding images.

We took full responsibility for the miscue of the DJ during the first dance, which was mostly caused by a last minute change request. The first dance is normally performed on the dance floor in front of the DJ, but because this was a choreographed dance that needed additional floor space we moved 120 guests to the court yard away from the DJ with a limited visibility. The DJ itself has written a letter to the bride and groom apologizing for the mistake in the timing of their first dance and he should not have relied on the guests to advise him on the bride's entrance. He had sincerely apologized for the error in his judgment along with our staff. However, the first dance went as planned after the DJ started the music once the bride was ready and it ended with a gorgeous fireworks display that was coordinated by Paul while offshore in a barge in the ocean.

The photographer was a friend of the wedding couple and was enjoying the festivities in the bar heavily drinking as an invited guest. She had left their photography equipment overnight by the beach on Friday night after rehearsal, fortunately our staff had returned to the photographer in the morning of the wedding. Unfortunately the same situation happened on Saturday night she had left their equipment once again! This time two cameras unattended overnight by the bar which is located by the main entrance of the hotel.

Unfortunately this time her equipment went missing, and according to the bride statements, with all the wedding photographs on them.

We recommend hiring professional photographers who are not a part of the party. In addition we had never witnessed such a disregard of photography equipment, and precious images of a couple from a professional photographer. All of the photographers we use always take their equipment with them after the wedding is over. Due to the described circumstances at the time, some unknown by the bride on Sunday afternoon, the management and owners did not take responsibility for such a situation and did not take kindly the accusations that were made blaming our wonderful wedding staff for the lost wedding photos and equipment. It is unfortunate the bride lost all of her wedding images,she is entitled to her opinion,we are saddened for that situation and very sympathetic to her loss, but we will not take responsibility for that. We truly had hoped that this situation had not overshadowed the magnificent work that was put in this extraordinary wedding. Coconut Cove Resort & Marina, its staff including the owners wish the best for the future to this couple.

We hope this response shows a whole picture. We are committed to delivering the "best wedding you have ever been to" every time and always strive for total customer satisfaction.
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Alex and Wanda - we had our dream wedding at Coconut Cove, thank you Paul,Magda,and Lori for making our special day happen with no flaws and perfect.The pool is really nice, the honeymoon suite is nice, love the huge bathroom fit for a queen! We had a great time there and enjoyed our destination wedding at Coconut Cove!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank wroldan1
Danville, Illinois
Reviewed 14 October 2011

My husband and I were married at this beautiful resort in September 2011. I would recommend Coconut Cove to anyone! After all the phone calls back and forth to Paul, I could not wait to get down there and see if the resort was everything he made it out to be. It was even better! This place is truly paradise! Paul and Magda are great at running their business and giving the most memorable weddings. Everything I wanted, they did! We had 30 guests total and I havent heard a negative comment from any of them. The food for the reception and the wedding were exceptional! The pool is so nice and relaxing, very clean, great for all ages as it has the shallow and deep ends. My step son loved helping Magda feed the fish and the birds in the mornings :)

The only suggestion I can give to Coconut Cove is that a vending machine would definitely come in handy!! We drove 22 hours down there and were exhausted and just ready to relax… upon entering CC there was nothing to eat or drink. Magda did give us some soda but we still had to unload the car then make a trip back up the road to go to the grocery store. If you are staying more than 2 nights I would also suggest getting one of the cottages so that you will have the convenience of a full kitchen and refridgerater.

If you want an unforgetable, stress-free, destination wedding, I would higly recommend booking this place! You will not be disappointed! Paul will make all of your dreams come true!! My husband and I can't wait to go back and it hasn’t even been a month since we've left! Thank you again to Paul, Magda, and the entire staff for everything! We'll be back to see you!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Missy P
Coconutcove85, Guest Relations Manager at Coconut Cove Resort and Marina, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Dear Missy,
It was a truly pleasure being part of your magical day. Thank you for honoring us with your amazing wedding, family and friends.
Thank you for your suggestion a vending machine is already in order.
We can't wait to see you again!
Best Wishes