I booked a 3-night weekend at this place for my boyfriend and me. We stayed less than 12 hours and cut our vacation short due to the worst interaction I have ever had with anyone in a place of business… ever!
I made the reservation with Walt on the phone. He seemed very nice and helpful. We paid for one of the more expensive rooms thinking that it would be nice. WRONG. We arrived late, so they left the room open for us. We were very disappointed when we walked in. It looked nothing like the pictures online, and it felt more like an underground bunker than a vacation getaway. The lights were harsh and bright. The bathroom was tiny. The shower was a little square stall with a cheap curtain that would rub up against you when you showered. It looked dirty and poorly kept. The windows were tiny and the only window in the main room opened to the covered tiki bar, so no light came in the room. It was in a very public place anyway so you wouldn’t want to open the curtain. The bed was awful- I felt springs in my back all night and woke up at least 9 or 10 different times.
The “beach” was not too surprising- I have been to the keys before and already know that there are no real beaches, so don’t be fooled by the pictures. There is a retaining wall covered with sand and small gravel. The water against the retaining wall had collected all the floating vegetation and trash from the area and smelled funny. Otherwise, the outdoor area was the only nice aspect of the place, but definitely NOT WORTH what came next.
So our first morning, we went to the front desk to check in and ask if we could switch rooms. We had our dog with us for which we paid $25/night extra. As Paul approached my boyfriend greeted him and started trying to find a nice way to say that we were not happy with the room and would like to see if we could change it. He did not even get to ask for a different room. Immediately, Paul lit into my boyfriend, yelling about the dog being off the leash and how he doesn’t like allowing dogs on the property at all because they scare away the wildlife. He actually got right up in his face yelling ! We were both shocked, standing there with our mouths open, that he would treat us in such a way. He called my boyfriend an idiot and continued yelling, though my boyfriend stayed calm and was trying to talk to him. When I suggested that if he feels so strongly about it (that he cannot conduct himself in a civilized manner) that he should consider placing a sign or some forewarning about it. His reply: “I’d rather post a sign that says ‘No Idiots’.” Really? Any normal person would have asked us to please keep the dog on the leash, and there would be no problem.
We packed our stuff, and then I went back to the office to take care of paying for the first disappointing night. Paul continued yelling and acting very aggressive. He threatened to get a restraining order, as if we would ever consider coming back. I have never had such a bad experience in any hotel, b&b, or even with a roommate in my life! He appears to be a very angry, emotionally unstable person.
I felt so bad that we had to deal with that on what was supposed to be a relaxing get-away, and I can’t believe that he coordinates weddings there! I would not advise any of my friends to stay there for one night much less plan a major event there. This same side of him was evident from some of the other online reviews as well. Honestly, I didn’t believe it, but now I know. The worst things you read about him online are true! So beware, if you stay there, you don’t know if you’re going to get Dr. Jeckyll or Mr. Hide!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on 7 acres nature preserve, Coconut Cove Resort & Marina exudes a "Caribbean vibe ," offering visitors a quiet, secluded escape at a surprisingly affordable rate. The lowest-priced of the 20 rooms are the Captain's cottages with a full kitchen and picnic table right in front of the room. General's rooms are situated in the more modern building, and are ideal for larger groups and wedding parties (which the resort specializes in). Ceremonies take place on select weekends and come complete with an evening fireworks display.Beautiful sunning beach overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, complimented by a zero-entry outdoor pool with a cascading waterfall. Within walking distance there is boat, wave runner, kayak rentals. Situated in the heart of Islamorada with many restaurant and bars, Theater of the Sea, and the Geological Park within walking distance Coconut Cove is the perfect place to have fun. Complimentary coffee and Danishes are offered each morning along free parking and maid service daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your Coconut Cove Resort and Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coconut Cove Resort And Marina Hotel Islamorada
- Coconut Cove Resort And Marina Islamorada, Florida - Florida Keys