“Cozy Little Resort”

Coconut Cove Resort and Marina
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This is our third time visiting the Coconut Cove Resort..it's a little tucked away hotel overlooking the ocean. While the hotel rooms & gym could use a little TLC, the grounds & pool are pretty and relaxing. My kids love all the different areas to play and it is family owned. The family who owns and runs this hotel are sweet and very attentive to their guests. They have little children who are extremely informative about all sea life and animals on the premises. You can feed the birds and fish as well as go fishing off one of the two docks and piers. Best of all, this hotel is pet friendly. It always great taking our puppy along with us on vacation.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Kim A
There are newer reviews for Coconut Cove Resort and Marina

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I love Coconut Cove Resort and Marina! This is our second time there, and it is always a great and relaxing time..the rooms are very clean and the staff is very friendly...great place, they will definetly be seeing us again

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I booked a 3-night weekend at this place for my boyfriend and me. We stayed less than 12 hours and cut our vacation short due to the worst interaction I have ever had with anyone in a place of business… ever!

I made the reservation with Walt on the phone. He seemed very nice and helpful. We paid for one of the more expensive rooms thinking that it would be nice. WRONG. We arrived late, so they left the room open for us. We were very disappointed when we walked in. It looked nothing like the pictures online, and it felt more like an underground bunker than a vacation getaway. The lights were harsh and bright. The bathroom was tiny. The shower was a little square stall with a cheap curtain that would rub up against you when you showered. It looked dirty and poorly kept. The windows were tiny and the only window in the main room opened to the covered tiki bar, so no light came in the room. It was in a very public place anyway so you wouldn’t want to open the curtain. The bed was awful- I felt springs in my back all night and woke up at least 9 or 10 different times.

The “beach” was not too surprising- I have been to the keys before and already know that there are no real beaches, so don’t be fooled by the pictures. There is a retaining wall covered with sand and small gravel. The water against the retaining wall had collected all the floating vegetation and trash from the area and smelled funny. Otherwise, the outdoor area was the only nice aspect of the place, but definitely NOT WORTH what came next.

So our first morning, we went to the front desk to check in and ask if we could switch rooms. We had our dog with us for which we paid $25/night extra. As Paul approached my boyfriend greeted him and started trying to find a nice way to say that we were not happy with the room and would like to see if we could change it. He did not even get to ask for a different room. Immediately, Paul lit into my boyfriend, yelling about the dog being off the leash and how he doesn’t like allowing dogs on the property at all because they scare away the wildlife. He actually got right up in his face yelling ! We were both shocked, standing there with our mouths open, that he would treat us in such a way. He called my boyfriend an idiot and continued yelling, though my boyfriend stayed calm and was trying to talk to him. When I suggested that if he feels so strongly about it (that he cannot conduct himself in a civilized manner) that he should consider placing a sign or some forewarning about it. His reply: “I’d rather post a sign that says ‘No Idiots’.” Really? Any normal person would have asked us to please keep the dog on the leash, and there would be no problem.

We packed our stuff, and then I went back to the office to take care of paying for the first disappointing night. Paul continued yelling and acting very aggressive. He threatened to get a restraining order, as if we would ever consider coming back. I have never had such a bad experience in any hotel, b&b, or even with a roommate in my life! He appears to be a very angry, emotionally unstable person.

I felt so bad that we had to deal with that on what was supposed to be a relaxing get-away, and I can’t believe that he coordinates weddings there! I would not advise any of my friends to stay there for one night much less plan a major event there. This same side of him was evident from some of the other online reviews as well. Honestly, I didn’t believe it, but now I know. The worst things you read about him online are true! So beware, if you stay there, you don’t know if you’re going to get Dr. Jeckyll or Mr. Hide!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
14  Thank ERveterinarian
Coconutcove85, Owner at Coconut Cove Resort and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

We would like to thank ‘ERveterinarian’ for sharing their comments I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been. Specially considering that we are one of the few Ocean front places in town that allow pets . UNFORTUNATELY, in this case we could not do anything to overcome the unwillingness of the guest to follow BASIC pet policies such control his dog in public areas and pick up the pet droppings.

The couple was issued a NO TRESPASSING notice only after his unwillingness to control his dog in public areas and after the dog dropping were not picked up. The guest was very argumentative and has threatened us with post terrible reviews in tripadvisor and any other side they could find because they considered that pet policies could not apply to them.

...In a side note... this comment is a repetition of a review previously posted by the same couple. Therefore, we would like to invite evereyone reading this review to read our managment response to the review posted on Dec 24, 2011.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We can't say enough about our wonderful experience at the Coconut Cove. Paul and Magda provided us with a wonderful and affordable location for our wedding. Paul performed a personalized ceremony and Magda's photograph's were awesome! Everything was perfect for our wedding day!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the new building are preferred.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martha H
Coconutcove85, Owner at Coconut Cove Resort and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Dear Martha & Mike,
It was a pleasure being part of your romance and helping you to plan your beach wedding ceremony. Remember you can always count on us whenever you are in the Keys. Thank you for the nice compliments on Magda's photography and the ceremony I specially wrote for you.
Best wishes for the future!
Paul Bates

Reviewed 24 December 2011

Hi to all that are going to read this review.
I just got home from spending 1 night at this place. The room was awful, ran down and poorly maintained. My girlfriend and I spent one night at this place and bolted out the next morning after a very aggressive and ugly encounter with Paul the owner of this property.
We arrived at the property at 9.30pm on Friday night. There were only 2 other cars when we pulled into the drive way. There was no one at the front desk which was understandable since we arrived at such a late time. Walt, the guy that helped us with the reservation kindly left a note on the front desk door. The note was to inform us how to get to our room. In addition, he gave us a call before he left at about 8.30pm with instructions as well.
Our room was number 10. The room was the crappiest room we have ever seen in our lives. Let’s put this into perspective. I am a very down to earth guy. Army in Cuba, weeks in the middle of the woods in many places in cuba, crappy boarding schools, basically I am used to crappy places and no complaints. My girlfriend is the most down to earth person you can meet. She has been around the world more than me. From Uganda, Brazil, Cuba, Thailand and Europe to the middle of the woods in orca islands for 3 days ,Kayaking and not a single complaint I have heard from her. This is what we love! We would rather spend our trips on a B&B and mingle with the locals than at the Hilton. And the money is not an issue for us. The first words out of her mouth when we walked through the door were... I don’t like this room!
The room was run down, like it had been built as an extension off the front desk office. There were Cracks on the walls all over the room at the bottom of the walls. The bathroom shower had cracks and mold around the corners. When you used the toilet your legs will bang the sink stand if you are around 5’10”. The bathroom cabinet was crooked to the right, as if they did not use a level when they placed it on the wall. In general the bathroom looked crappy and small.
Out of the two beds, the bed that we slept in was terrible. It was on wheels, so it kept moving around. On the mattress we could feel the springs the whole time and it sank on the middle. We hardly slept. Of the two AC units only one worked properly. Over all the room looked poorly built and as if was constructed in a hurry. The kitchen stove was separated from the wall and you could see the back of it with all the cords and metal. The cabinets were white and appeared as hanging off the walls. They seemed as if there was no life to them since the doors were not evenly placed and not leveled. There was only one window that let the light in. the others were shot down or covered with curtains with the intention of no light to pass thru them. The purpose of this was so people could not see inside the room since it was right next to two very busy areas: The front desk and the pool. The only pretty thing I realized about the room were the crown moldings. Those appeared recently done and they did not go with the room at all. Over all the room was poorly built, poorly decorated and it felt like crap.
Because of this we decided to ask the next morning to be switched to a new room. When Paul the owner came in this morning we meet him right at the front door of the front desk. I introduced my girlfriend and myself and shook his hand. He asked how could he help us. I started explaining that we were not very happy with the room to see if we could switch rooms. At this point he goes nuts about our dog. Right out of the blue. He started yelling that because of the dogs the birds had left that place and how I was an idiot for leaving the dog off the leash. He was yelling, no less than 12 inches away from my face. I looked at my GF baffled of the whole situation and trying to understand what had just happened. At this point while he was still yelling my Gf interrupted him and said “we are leaving and we want our money back”. We paid $195 per night plus $25 for the dog.
After we packed all the things I went to the office to check out and he wanted to charge us the night before plus a 50 dollar fee for having the dog running off the leash in the property. He also wanted to refund the 2 nights we had paid ahead of time. I said let me read the documents and see what I was signing, and that I was not going to pay any fees since he did not have a sign saying that dogs should be kept on the leash at all times. He snatched the papers right before I was about to start reading them, and I said fine. The credit card was my GF’s so I went to get her so she could sign.
Same thing all over, my GF refused to pay the 50 dollar fee, alleging the lack of signs saying that dogs should be on a leash at all times. This time I was standing at the door with the dog on the leash. I told her not to sign anything since he was charging us the fee. At this point he starts yelling at me calling me an idiot and saying that it should be common sense to have the dog on a leash at all times while on the property and that he didn’t have to place any signs saying this.
At this point I said, I wanted a full refund and that we were not paying anything at that point. Some more yelling went, I called him a prejudiced person and we walked away.
Please I am writing this right now after a 1 hour drive so people stays away from this place. Paul was the rudest person I have seen on my life and he seemed emotionally unstable.

This is my story… I hope it helps

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank warfarin
Coconutcove85, Public Relations Manager at Coconut Cove Resort and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2012

Guest was asked to leave and issued a future no trespassing.

We welcome responsible pet owners with their pets to our 7 acre tropical island paradise. Adjacent to our scenic beach and zero entry pool and beautiful waterfall, is a large area set aside as a nature preserve. Our property is home to ospreys, egrets, herons, pelicans, spoonbills, doves, and much other protected wildlife. We have visits of manatees and dolphins right at our site and in our marina basin. We have much sea life always at our property that jets out into the Atlantic Ocean. We have an incredible sea life waterfall lagoon exhibit where you can usually see Tarpon, trigger fish, parrot fish, groupers, snappers, lobsters, mullet, puffer fish, box fish, jacks, chubs and many crabs and other sea life available to our exclusive guests. We believe the wildlife should be able to coexist with guests. An unleashed dog harassing these lovely birds, swimming in the sea life exhibit can causes them harm or to leave and never return to the property or their nests. The iguanas, raccoons, possums and other numerous wildlife at our resort can be seriously impacted by bad dog owners.

Other guest were very alarmed and started complaining that a couple was running a dog after the abundant protected birds and wildlife.

The staff was notified and witnessed the dog defecating, then running unattended along the balconies where guests were seated. The dog owners did not pick up after the dog or had refused to stop the dog from running in neighboring guests buildings or after birds.

We have strict dog policies and only take responsible dog owners. The guest states twice in his false review the “lack of signs saying that dogs should be on a leash at all times”. This is telling. Reasonable pet owners leash their dogs at hotel resorts and do not illegal harass protected species. This guests refused our policies and they felt entitled to allow his dog to run wild regardless of the impact on the surroundings wildlife or other people. The guest then stated he would retaliate on TRIPADVISOR and this false, unflattering review was posted days later only after his ejection from the property.

The couple was issued days prior a NO TRESPASSING notice only after his unwillingness to control his dog in public areas and after the dog dropping were not picked up.

Coconut Cove is a barefoot resort with sandy roads, beach, and pathways in a picturesque setting. Keeping dogs on a leash and picking up after them is important to maintain the beauty of our property for all of our guests and their barefoot children. We are a very private estate resort with much wildlife and love our great dog owners and exclusive clientele. We always welcome pet owners who do not infringe on other guests enjoyment of our picturesque tropical island setting. These very disruptive dog owner guest will not be a problem again to our wonderful guests and the incredible wildlife out Coconut Cove Resort & Marina.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

This resort sits on about a 2 acres of beautiful grounds. The outside rooms or cabins need some upgrading.They are no frills for sure.Felt kind of 1970s. The rooms in the main building are much better and more modern. The staff was very friendly and helpful with answering questions about the area. The main office can use some updating also. There were a lot of boxes and other things piled up in one corner which gave it the appearance of storage and not the main office. The outdoor children's area can use some updating too.Overall this place is okay but with some upgrading to the cabin style rooms and a little landscaping around the edges, this resort can be more desirable.

Room Tip: Try to get a lower rate for a room in the main building.I would not stay in the cabin style rooms un...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Racso1166
Coconutcove85, Manager at Coconut Cove Resort and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Guest,
On behalf of the management team and owners at Coconut Cove Resort & Marina we want to thank you for your feedback. I appreciate that you took the time to recognized the friendly service of our staff .
It is through constructive criticism that we are able to continually improve our resort and our service standards. It is our top priority to identify and address areas that may need improvement. We look forward to having you at the resort so you can experience the improvements we have done. Can’t wait to have you back!

Reviewed 19 November 2011

From the very first time I talked to Paul on the phone, he made me feel at ease and promised my wedding day would be stress free and the best day of my life! He delivered on that promise and gave me the wedding of my dreams! Magda and Paul are amazing wedding coordinators and gave me everything I asked for and more! The location is to die for, and the wedding went flawless! Magda is an amazing photographer and took some of the most BEAUTIFUL pictures I have ever seen! She also created my bouquet to look exactly like a picture I sent her and more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. They are truly amazing people and gave me a wedding that is still talked about as the "BEST WEDDING EVER" from my guests!!! Thank you both for your amazing work!

• Stayed: May 2011